1947s - Sugar Cane vs. U.S.-made LVC

Shorty Long

Levis from the 50's had a lot of yellow stitching. I have had some that had alternating yellow and gold stitching on some of the belt loops and not all. I think gold thread was more expensive, so they didn't use it everywhere. You usually see yellow stitching on the top seam, inner leg seam, fly seam and top of the watch pocket on 60's levis. In the 50's, in addition, they sometimes alternated colors on the yoke and belt loops.

I am not a big fan of the indigo used in LVC jeans. It seems to leave the jeans really easily and not give a high contrast fade. I have seriously given them a chance too considering I have had about 30 personal pairs over the years with about 2/3 of those raw. Some of the early distressed ones are my favorites.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jan 20, 2006 at 10:12 PM

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jan 20, 2006 at 10:13 PM

I can't remember the exact sequence, but according to one Levi's historian who helped research LVC, yellow stitching differed between factories and was never consistent; it was used more extensively in the 50s, and by the 60s was only used on 'parts sections' - pocket closures and belt loops.

What gets me about Levi's indigo is that on the really good washes, the contrast is fantastic. I too have never managed as high-contrast a look as on, eg, my Lees, but for my current 47s I am going hardcore, dry cleaning only for a full year, just to see what happens. That said, my 1901 deadstock, whose denim I believe comes from Japan, are looking terrific and really keeping their indigo.

I wonder if Cone cheapened their dyeing process over the years? Or else that vintage jeans look better because they were washed in cold water without modern detergent...

Edited by Paul T on Jan 21, 2006 at 06:28 AM

I washed my first pair of LVC 1947s (fom 2001) once in detergent and they paled like I would have expected from 10 washes. So on my next pair I shrunk them in hot water on a couple occasions and they have never seen soap. The contrast is very poor and They are not as dark as they should be. The indigo reminds me of they dye you find on double stitched redlines from the late 70's early 80's. I agree that the contrast on the LVC washes are great, and I have always wondered why and how.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

based on my experience, the levis seem to hold onto their indigo for a while, even after 4 or 5 infrequent washes, and the wear marks don't appear to be forming.

however, over time and after subsequent washes, the markings and contrast become more apparent...i've only had experience with this process in one of my pairs, as the others are still in the early stages.

i tried on the 47 canes.. then went to APC to check out a pair of new standards (the made in japan ones) and i felt that i didnt really appreciate the canes as much as the APCs. so i got the latter instead. i dont regret it at all, but maybe someday, i'd like a pair of canes.

after reading so much about it, when i saw it, it didnt really strike me as much as i thought it would have.

oh well, just my $0.02.