1947s - Sugar Cane vs. U.S.-made LVC

Shorty Long

Quote:

depends really whether you want a copy, or an original.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Jan 13, 2006 02:37 PM

well...some say that technically they're both copies. i was just wondering if there is a difference in things like the quality if the denim, etc...

i'm asking because i have a pile of LVCs, and was wondering if i was missing out on something by not having a pair of SCs...

I think you're getting a better product with SugarCane. I too am looking into purchasing a pair of '47's.

When I compare both companies...I see a denim company supremely devoted to producing a quality product (Sugarcane) and a corporate conglomerate that might be producing a higher quality product with their LVC line...but isn't necessarily putting as much effort into it.

Sugarcanes > Levi's.

Just a thought.

Quote:

I think you're getting a better product with SugarCane. I too am looking into purchasing a pair of '47's.

When I compare both companies...I see a denim company supremely devoted to producing a quality product (Sugarcane) and a corporate conglomerate that might be producing a higher quality product with their LVC line...but isn't necessarily putting as much effort into it.

Sugarcanes > Levi's.

Just a thought.

--- Original message by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Jan 13, 2006 04:50 PM

That's pretty much my thinking as well, but I just wanted a confirmation of such from someone who has had experience with both.

i don't know if you're gonna find that many people with a pair of 47 sugarcanes AND lvcs...

they are supposed to be almost exactly the same no?

that said, i have a pair of lvc 47s, and the quality is pretty decent. never seen a pair of canes in person though. too bad the lvcs are too small on me.

nairb49

Quote:

i don't know if you're gonna find that many people with a pair of 47 sugarcanes AND lvcs...

that said, i have a pair of lvc 47s, and the quality is pretty decent. never seen a pair of canes in person though. too bad the lvcs are too small on me.

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 13, 2006 07:02 PM

Serge owns numerous pairs of LVCs and numerous pairs of Japanese repros (Denime, Warehouse, etc.) and on a number of occasions I've seen him remark that the indigo/denim on the Japanese reproductions is far, far better than on the LVCs.

it's weird, i tried on a pair of LVC 1947 at the SF levis store. It was a pair of STF and it was unwashed. I liked it but i thought it wasn't worth the price. It didn't even have felled seams. While i know that the original 1947 probably didn't have felled seems, but if i'm paying 150 for a pair of jeans, then i might as well get a pair of APC or Imperial or something else with better construction.

Does Cane 1947 have felled seams?

Quote: rnrswitch, those canes of yours are real nice

any chance we can get a photo of your lvcs to compare?

I could post some pictures of the LVC 47s, but they really don't look all that great, because i can't wash them. They are a 30x34 and the waist fits snug and a wash would make them shrink way too much. I only wear them in the case i want to wear some really dark jeans.

Quote: The LVC indigo dye looks darker than the Sugarcane from the pictures Ive seen. Can anyone confirm this or is the dyes about the same?

The dye is ever so slightly darker. SC47s also have a different color stitching in some areas. They use the typical golden stitch, but also a yellow stitch for some of the seams.

Also SC47s don't have a felled seam. I don't think it effects the jeans at all though. This is just how levis were made.

Yeah that yellow stitching is on the back pockets, but it is also on other parts, such as the hem, on the belt loops, on the front pockets, and some other spots.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 13, 2006 07:02 PM

Serge owns numerous pairs of LVCs and numerous pairs of Japanese repros (Denime, Warehouse, etc.) and on a number of occasions I've seen him remark that the indigo/denim on the Japanese reproductions is far, far better than on the LVCs.

--- Original message by minya on Jan 13, 2006 09:32 PM

I only wear once pair of lvcs but i say the depth of indigo is definately inferior to my two pairs of £20 lee 101zs and may £45 edwin nashvilles. I would never pay full wack for lvcs, 120 will buy you some nice canes or warehouse which i am convinced are better quality.

I hear everybody saying LVC indigo is not a good as SC. I have just bought a pair of 501 "1955"s with the 555 on the top stamp and 1997 on the paper tags. These are definately Valencia ST. 501s from the first run (ebay). The indigo is nice but, not nearly as dark as either pair of my LVC 551zxx pair from the same year. So, the SC may be darker than the 501s but, I have seen the pics and they don't come close to my Preshrunk 551zxx pairs. I really have never seen 14 oz. denim so dark. I wore them to work and everybody kept swearing the were black. Regardless, I want some SC 47s anyway, they very nice.

just got my sugar canes, and i have to say, from a very quick first glance, they don't appear all that different from the denim of my lvc's...of course, i'm no expert, but that's just my first impression.

i may change my mind after i start wearing them, but that won't be until i have these '44s worn in

Quote:

it's done that way to avoid copyright infringement.

like i said way back when you first asked, it depends on if you want a copy, or an original.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Jan 20, 2006 02:24 PM

in regards to the shape of the pocket stitching, sure, but what i was talking about was the color...the canes have the yellow stitching in many different places, while the lvc's have it only on the arcuates