suggestion on watches needed

baldy

Air king version should run around less than 2 k new. So a vintage one should be less than 1 k, unless you are talking bout the unique, limited edition ones.

Yes, I do agree on the Omegas. They are very nicely construct, and model wise, are very similar to Rolex. Don't think you can go wrong with that. Just get something with a cleaner looking dial, for formal wear. A white dial.

A vintage GP for 600 bucks? What movement and what year of production?

If this is true, it's quite interesting and I'm very tempted.

Could anyone post pics of the watch and if possible, the link of the auction? Thanks.

F*ck Fashion

An Original 1968 Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen, they do come in reissues but the original is the one you want to get. It will set you back about 1.500-2.000£ tho...

B60_Heuer_mon_5.JPG

Its the E-type of watches...shows you know watches and paid the price for an classic without looking like your showing off....as say you would in a Lamborghini..

they call me dr john....known as the night tripper...

Quote:

hey guys, im trying to decide on my first expensive formal type watch, im willing to spend around $500. im just looking for something that i can wear like the classic movado watches, something that i can wear on formal occasions. thanks for the inputs

--- Original message by baldy on Dec 25, 2005 02:07 PM

If you look for a Movado, I would suggest hitting up department stores that carry them as opposed to the Movado store as the department stores always seem to have a lot more of them on sale. I picked up a Movado that was listed at $750 for $450 as they had it for $250 off and then were taking an additional $50 off for another promotion. I've also seen quite a few tagged "40% off" when they're trying to move them for new stock.

$500 ehh? Well, thats pretty limited, but here are a few off the top of my head.

Military Look-Citizen Nighthawk (about $300 on Ebay)

GMT-Hamilton GMT (about $400 on Ebay, don't worry about fakes, Hamilton is not big enough for the Chinese to even care)-This is a pretty solid watch, and Hamilton has been around for a while.

Sporty-Oris BC3

Classic-Old Skool Omega (I have a late 80s Speedmaster that I purchased after working an enitre summer and to this day I look at the watch as my only worhtwhile investment in college)

Stay away from Movado. I have one and hardly wear it, it looks really........cheesy (gift from ex-girl).

The only Tags I like are Monaco and Carrera, everything else is junk. Eff that LINK shit, its sucks ass. If you got 2Gs pick up an Omega, or a lightly used IWC GST.

• 4 months later...

I walked into this thread entirely expecting people recommending Movados and U-Boat. Thank god there are actually some WIS's in here. People who actually know about horology.

Do you own an Apple Hi-Fi? Contact me.

If you know your stuff and can spot a fake if need be, pawn shops can be a good spot to find deals on nice watches. You just have to keep checking to see what new stuff they get their shady hands on. If you let the employees know what you are looking for and leave your phone number, they'll probably be more than happy to give you a call when they get something in that you might be interested in.

*** OfTheWasteland.com ***

official site launch June 1st.

I had a vintage 1950's Breitling Chronograph for 10 years up to last summer when it blew off on Route 1 in NJ. Great watch but remember you need to service old watches regularly, which equates to at least $100 a year

I was in mourning and so relied on my cell as my timepiece until last week when I went into a store on Spring near the Downtown 6 entrance and bought a neat BOCCIA titanium watch for $150. Super slim and waterproof.

http://www.boccia.com/me35botiwa7.html

It will do 'till I find another long termer.

Adrian

Adrian Wilson

Interior and Architectural Photographer

www.interiorphotography.net

I have a citizen eco drive that i really like. It is nice, but tasteful, and has small stones around the face, and a sapphire face plate. it is a really nice, accurate watch, and is yet to fail me

When it comes to watches, you probably know as well as I do that you get what you pay for.

I think that there are certain things that are worth paying good money for, and watches are one of them. I wouldn't go for any watch on ebay, especially when you get to the $500-$1,000 price range.

I wore a shitty swatch for years until I was willed a few Omega and Rolex pieces. It was worth the wait.

Look for a very cheap watch that isn't too bad and save up for a nice one.

Depht...