Lee 101B, raw?

Stuffed Tongues

Dry clean only for maybe a year, trying to keep them totally dark, no hurry. Then wash them conventionally and they suddenly zing out like that. Those jeans were the reason I stopped buying vintage Levi's, they were way cheaper and you could choose your size. I still have around 7 or 9 pairs in varying degrees of decrepitude, but I'm already starting to regret selling off that new pair... but I need a decent watch and the Heuers I like are too damn trendy now and cost a bomb.

Some info on the 101b dry, it will stay in the Lee collection and will probably be taken up again by the same shops in the next season, albeit in small quantities.

But do you mean the lot101 lee riders originals ( about €250 retail and japanese selvage ) ones or the 101B ( retail at €120 and ring/ring one sided projectile-selvage ) ones. Great value for money the latter ones, fade in really nicely ( not wearing mine enough lately unfortunately ) , friend of mine wears em non stop for about a year: B E A U T I F U L! The originals ones are quite hard to find, yet worth their money if you ask me, have one and it fits like a charm!

watch-wise I'm more a 70'ies omega man ( got a new steel automat for €150! ) , which is completely of the subject, true.

Edited by jens on Dec 9, 2005 at 03:56 AM

I wasn't necessarily clear about the ones I referred to. The Lee Originals are made in Japan by Edwin, Lee's licensees, using sanforized selvage fabric which I believe mostly comes from Nisshinbo. The range includes the 40s cowboy pants with button flies, including the hair on hide model of around 1937 (101B, cinchback, dungaree-style pockets) , and the 101Z Riders, the 1952 jeans with zipper fly.

Lee Europe were among the first manufacturers to reintorudce a classic jean in selvage, with the Lee Rider, made in Eire, with 'sanforized' selvage from Nisshinbo, around 1991, based on the 1950s 101z Riders with a zipper fly. A couple of years later they moved production to Malta, and the fabric was no longer marked sanforized (although shrinkage is not a lot greater than in the previous version). Both these are fantastic jeans, which fade brilliantly, especially if you dry clean them for the first 6 months. (There's a new and old pair of the second Euro version illustrated on my eBay auction, mentioned in the FS section).

The new version is made in Poland using non-selvage fabric - I'd describe it as one-sided, fake selvage. But, as jens said, the fabric still looks great and is ringring.

Edited by Paul T on Dec 14, 2005 at 02:40 AM

• 1 year later...

I got something that sounds suspiciously like that.

Are these sanforized? I actually had a pair of 32 waist that I traded for a 30 'cause it was too loose. Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Haven't gotten around to soaking or wearing them other than to try them on.

I have some euro Lee 101b without half selvedge. They are older then the ones with the half green pretend selvedge. probably 6-7 years old? I also have some newer euro lees with the half green selvedge. The denim is quite nice form my experiance it is a very nice LHT with a slight greencast to it. It faded very well and anyone who is familiar with LHT will know what I mean when I say they have gotten very "velvetty". I don't know a better way to describe it but they have this soft almost micro-velure feel to them.

As for the 101bs they are very traditional looking. A bit of that blueberry wranglers hue to them. But the cut on the 101b is so money they fit like real dreams similar to my 45 canes minus the fat ass.