Crate Denim

zimzima911

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone got any updates on their crates? I have been wearing these deadstock selvedge James' for 3 months, and i could swear they look the same as my day 1 pictures.....I might roll around in the dirt after work and start forcing some wear.....:D

• 2 weeks later...

this is like 2 months of quality wear.....these have become my lab work jeans.......I have two holes in them from methane-sulfonic acid......they haven't really done anything all all......I think standing around in the lab isn't the best for fading......they have done quite a bit of shrinkage in the inseam, and some mad leg twist is starting to develop......

James IV dead stock selvedge

mecrate.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alexwan Your James III are gorgious. Want updates later. Another jeans who deserves to live for ever.

• 2 months later...

Routes= They're slim fitting and tapered.

Just wanted to update this thread with a StyleForum x-post to show the Journal model that's been available at Barney's for the past few months. They should be arriving at Blackbird, Roden Grey, Context, etc. within the next couple of weeks. Photos were taken after less than a week of wear.

cimg6483ym9.jpg

cimg6484ib0.jpg

cimg6486of5.jpg

cimg6487va8.jpg

cimg6488jx7.jpg

cimg6489ql1.jpg

cimg6494na4.jpg

cimg6491df4.jpg

cimg6495ml2.jpg

Notes:

-Almost everything Crate makes now is deadstock Cone selvage.

-Single selvage belt loop on the right (always blue line.)

-Each model is made in limited batches (see inside pocket stamp). Depending on which batch you get you might end up with either red or blue line selvage.

-The doughnut buttons are new and have the year the denim was manufactured stamped on the back. The years vary through the 70s. Pretty sure all Crate models now come with the new buttons.

-The Journal doesn't have a 5th pocket similar to the Sally.

-Crate tends to make their cuts low-rise and these are no exception.

-Because of the low rise I'd recommend that you size up one for a sufu fit, two for regular fit with a tiny bit of breathing room. For reference, I was wearing 31 in the James Selvage and they fit tight on me as I was accounting for future stretching; in comparison with the Journal, I went up to a 34. I was having a hell of a time buttoning the 33 all the way up and I didn't see too much difference between the sizes through the legs. Still, if you want that slimmer cut and are willing to wait it out, you could just go one up.

-Speaking of sizing, yes, these do run true to size. The low rise means that they will sit on your hips instead of your waist like a mid-high rise would. Take that into consideration.

-The Journal is a slim straight fit with a 8.75" knee/hem based on a size 34. It is definitely a more universal fit than the James/Sally. Because of this, I think it makes for a more comfortable and every-day pair.

-After about three weeks of wearing them straight, the creases have set and I'm already seeing some fading.

The fit:

96041364fj8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

crate thomas, my first pair of raw. 2+ years of pretty steady wear.

I don't think they still do this one, but I believe the Jackson is the same cut.

folks can diss lighter weight denim, but it is a lifesaver in Texas. I love these.

(crummy pics)

thomas%202.jpg

thomas%203.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess I am going to resurrect this thread. Here are my Crate Hamilton Selvage at about 4 months almost every day wear. I will post post-wash pictures in the evolution thread at a later time. CrateJeansback.jpg

Cratejeansfront.jpg

• 1 month later...

those two pairs are lookin nice

crate has apparently stepped their game up as of late; i am a few financial steps away from copping some routes, which may not get love for a while but are too nice to pass up at the price i can get em

less apc, more cratez

• 2 months later...
Fit pic: Journal in size 30 (true waist)

DSCF2181.jpg

The photo is small, but I can see that this is an absolutely perfect fit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...