Crate Denim

zimzima911

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been interested in the brand too. I've only seen it online at Factory People, but I've read that Fred Segal, Barneys, and the Lions Den (LA) carries it.

Here's the news piece on it:

http://www.caltradereport.com/eWebPages/profiles-1102652126.html

Here it is at Factory People:

https://factorypeople.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=80&osCsid=38a17d6392842a91373caa41f623285a

What's your favorite spot in DC?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest blackbird
Crate looks cool, but the denim is made with this elastic/stretch material...Like some girl jeans.

That could be true. The deal is that Crate is always made from true vintage deadstock denim. You never know what you are getting and all washes are extremely limited.

Right now I have the *NEW* Sally $154 (not so frickin' tight in the calf) and the James IV $130 all in dark raw or one rinse denims.

I have lots of pictures if you search my site: http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/

Guest blackbird
^^ is the bootcut for the james IV noticably smaller than the nudie RR?

Not sure. All I can tell you is that the James is such a subtle bootcut that I was shocked to find out that it was when we received our shipment last week. I can send you measurements if you wish. I'm not in the shop right now or else I would. Let me know.

I swear I don't work in his shop (I just live near by and am a big fan), but user sam113 carries them in a couple of cuts. He could probably tell you more about them.

As an aside, I know one of the models has a sort of "thumb pocket" on the outside of each back pocket so you can more comfortably hook your thumbs back there. Pretty clever I thought. Also, from what I've heard, one of the owners of the company is actually from Madison WI. This just goes to show that liberal politics isn't our only export.

Not sure. All I can tell you is that the James is such a subtle bootcut that I was shocked to find out that it was when we received our shipment last week. I can send you measurements if you wish. I'm not in the shop right now or else I would. Let me know.

if you could that would be awesome. i wear i 31x34 in nudie rrds so what size would you recommend for these?

Here's the deal on Crate:

The James is definitely a subtler bootcut than RRDS. Every part of this piece is skinnier than RRDS. My tight pair of RRDS is 28/32, and I wear 29 in the James- and it is tighter than the Nudie. Also, Crate denim doesn't stretch as much as the RRDS. Great cut for skinny dudes, and the lighter denim James is a very unique color. And yes, Travis, the James has a small gap at the top of each back pocket's outside stitch that make great "thumbhangers". It's all deadstock Levis denim. I also have the Sally; which is the skinniest cut in my store, and the Uni; a trouser-cut piece with off-seam front pockets and dress pant type back pockets.

Great lighter weight dry denim jeans in very cool cuts for relatively low price(130-140).

We are big fans.

^^ thanks for the help! i just ordered a pair of james IV size 32...if they stretch a tiny bit i'll be happy because my rrds in 31w stretched a little too much. i hope they fit ok

oh! and they were only 100.05 before shipping at active endeavors! (25% coupon: thanks)

Guest blackbird

I lost my notification settings with the NEW supertalk and haven't been keeping up here with the Crate talk. I'm promise to post detailed pictures of both the NEW Sally and the James in both black and dark indigo this week.

I just received my James IV Blue jeans and they are really nice, I like them a lot. They fit pretty small compared to other jeans, I usually wear a 30 in other brands, but I couldn't button up the top button on the 30s so I kept the 31s. (keep in mind, I like to wear my jeans slim/fitted and not tight). I think they're pretty nice for the price I paid, and they are currently soaking in my tub. I have the James IV in size 30 in Black and Blue, since they didn't fit me, I think these sizes are sold out on the site. I would let them go for $120 to cover shipping/paypal fees and other things, not really looking to make profit. If anyone wants them, contact me, other wise I'll be using their free return policy :)

I just measured the jeans and the knees are about 8.5 inches across and the hem is 9 inches, so it's a slight bootcut. They're pretty nice and stiff jeans that I think will soften up over time. The only bad part i think is the stitching. There are a lot of loose threads around the belt loops, I'm not sure if it's the style or just poor stitching. It's not that big of a deal since I've just been cutting them. I'm keeping the extra two 30s for about a week, then i'm sending them back for a return, so hit me up asap if you want them

Guest blackbird
What is the difference between the first and second versions of the sally cut?

The first Sally was really tight in the calf and much baggier up top. They make your package look like a shipment! They're great for lanky guys. Here are some photos:

http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/2006/03/crate-new.html

http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/2006/05/blackbird-fashion-show-at-hotel-max.html

Guest blackbird
How do the James IV in indigo compare in terms of fit and tightness to the James III blacks?

Also, do you have any UNI style crates?

I can't tell the difference between the two. Kevin is wearing them tight in the recent photos. The denim doesn't stretch out like an A.P.C. New Standard so I would have put him in size bigger.

I can't recall if we are getting the Uni or not. If so, our next shipment will be in a month.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have two cuts of the crate denim. the sally and a recently purchased pair of james. i love both pairs and am looking to get the sallys in the black denim. here are the sally's.. i've had them since the beginning of the year and have yet to wash them..

280196593_123d1778d4.jpg

280196591_7404ef52d2.jpg

the james are a good fit.. straight leg and you honestly cannot tell that there is an ever so slight boot cut. i have quite a large denim collection (nudies, apc's, corpus denim, diesel, paper, rogans etc.) and find myself wearing my crates (both pairs) all the time.. the fit is amazing.