Crotch rivet

RustyRyan

Quote:

Hmm, off the top of my head I can think of Levi's 333 from 1915ish, and Levi's 204 from 1930ish.

Welcome to Superfuture bicurious. I like your handle.

--- Original message by Bert and Pat Guiterrez on Dec 1, 2005 11:00 PM

Levis 333 from 1915ish and Levis 204 from 1930ish. Never heard of them. Got a reference?

Quote:

He's jiving you. But I think levi's 201 from 1905 to the 30s have a crotch rivet, as do Lee 101 pants from the 30s, and, I would guess, many obscure brands from that period...

--- Original message by Paul T on Dec 3, 2005 05:36 PM

You're right. 201s up to 1937 should have a crotch rivet. I think the crotch rivet was removed just after the war started in 1940.

Hey All,

I think I can clear up at least a little of this concerning rivets. Jacob Davis started using rivets on pants around 1870 to strengthen miner's and wood cutter's pants. 1872 he applied for patent using money from new partner (Levi Strauss) and the rest is history. Crotch rivets were in use continuously on the "waist overalls" and later the 501XX's. 1941 when war rationing kicked in, the crotch rivet and the back buckle diasappeared permanently (until re-issues of course).

Quote:

Iver heard two reasons for their removal-

To save on materials during WWII

More amusingly, the head honch of Levis was stood near a camp fire and his groin got a bit overly warm due to the metal rivet, so they were removed! Think the first might be more likely!

--- Original message by docdoom on Dec 5, 2005 06:46 AM

Either the rivet was big or he had a small one.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
stop derailing.

all off-topic posts will be trashed.

fuck off/die

oh, check out this article i found after googling "CROTCH RIVETS" called EVOLUTION of JEANS; it culminates in a prediction that we will all be wearing bib-overalls.

it is a shitty article.

enjoy!

good god, i cannot believe i read that article, maybe we should have a thread about bib-overalls, or why no one shid wear them