CEO of Japan Airlines Cuts his own pay and perks

lim f(x) = f(a)

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2008/11/02/lah.japan.ceo.pay.cut.cnn

Now this is a Boss, American CEO's can learn a thing or two.

ceos for morgan stanley, i think it was, and a few others have already done this in the us.

well, not exactly the same thing, but they forfeit their bonuses which is 99.9% of their income.

^^ Seriously. The "official" regular salary for a lot of these guys is a couple of hundred grand, which is peanuts compared to the stock options, bonuses, and other gifts (like Jobs and his Gulfstream) from the company.

Frankly I'd like to know what criteria is even used to hire/retain CEOs. It seems like you're guaranteed a couple of lifetimes worth of money no matter how short your stay is or how badly you fucked up.

in my marketing class the other day, my professor was talking about how different the japanese business practices as from those of the USA...less corruptible doesnt even begin to describe these guys

if you came to your boss in the US and said i found away to cut $1 off of the monthly cash budget hed look at you like you had 6 heads...a Japanese exec would pat you on the back and tell you you did a damn fine job...they know how to think in temrs of nickels and dimes and how that effects the bigger picture

American business believes in improvement whereas japanese business believes in INCREMENTAL improvements and they understand much better that every dollar counts...if youve got 185,000 employees and each one of them can cut a few dollars out of their monthly cash budgets, even if what you're saving is relatively small, you're still saving it...they know what they doin, yo

ceos for morgan stanley, i think it was, and a few others have already done this in the us.

well, not exactly the same thing, but they forfeit their bonuses which is 99.9% of their income.

He gets no bonuses, stock options, or any perks. His salary is $90,000 before taxes.

I repeat he doesn't get anything besides the $90k salary.

American CEO's do it too. A lot of them earn $1. I think the google founder's only get a dollar. Steve Jobs does too. They get their money from stocks. It's more of a symbolic thing to do. CNN doesn't mention what this guy's income is outside of his salary.

His salary is $90,000 yr and not a penny more.

in my marketing class the other day, my professor was talking about how different the japanese business practices as from those of the USA...less corruptible doesnt even begin to describe these guys

if you came to your boss in the US and said i found away to cut $1 off of the monthly cash budget hed look at you like you had 6 heads...a Japanese exec would pat you on the back and tell you you did a damn fine job...they know how to think in temrs of nickels and dimes and how that effects the bigger picture

American business believes in improvement whereas japanese business believes in INCREMENTAL improvements and they understand much better that every dollar counts...if youve got 185,000 employees and each one of them can cut a few dollars out of their monthly cash budgets, even if what you're saving is relatively small, you're still saving it...they know what they doin, yo

thats bullshit. im actually in japan and people are 99.99% the same everywhere in the world. only difference is japanese are more shy and old fashioned. trust me, JAPANESE LIKE MONEY TOO, JUST THE YEN FLAVOUR INSTEAD OF$.

jap companies are inefficient as fuck, so many redundant workers.

they should forfeit their bonuses, if the company isn't making money, they don't deserve a bonus, plain and simple.

thats bullshit. im actually in japan and people are 99.99% the same everywhere in the world. only difference is japanese are more shy and old fashioned. trust me, JAPANESE LIKE MONEY TOO, JUST THE YEN FLAVOUR INSTEAD OF$.

jap companies are inefficient as fuck, so many redundant workers.

thats fine, but can you elaborate as far as their inefficiencies

thats fine, but can you elaborate as far as their inefficiencies

Many Japanese companies, and in fact many large asian companies have extremely large amounts of nepotism. People who are under qualified, not needed, or flat out contribute nothing get hired due to connections and never get fired. Similarly unprofitable branches of business are not cut out because they "have a history" and instead their losses are absorbed by the profitable branches indefinitely.

Yes Steve Jobs and the Google guys get a $1 salary but don't they also own significant amounts of stock? The CNN video made it seem like all he was getting was $90,000 a year.

that is all he gets

if you listened to the video his wife was blaming him for not being able to pay bills and such

if he was getting anything serious out of his 90k he wouldn't have problems paying his bills

and steve jobs stated that he doesn't need the salary because he gets all types of money from other companies and presents and gifts and shit

hows that different from what i or the other guy said. you seem awfully stupid. might neg rep for the first time.

There was some confusion w/ the other members so I was making it clearer, but since you have sand in your vagina I'm going to reiterate for you.

He gets no bonus, perks, or stock options and his only income is $90k.

:)