chinese democracy

All I know is that I'm getting a free Dr. Pepper out of this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20081024/en_music_eo/65504

haha oh god, i completely forgot about this. you know what must be done...

"smoke em if you got em!"

*chug dr. pepper, crush can*

"alllllright, that sucked!"

I'm buying this shit the day it comes out.. i don't give a fuck about reviews.

i saw them live about 14 years ago with Metallica at Day on the Green and it blew my mind.. and i saw them about 2 years ago at the Warfield in SF for their "warm up show" to their world tour (which they cancelled after the warm up gig i saw them at) and once again they were spot on live.. granted it wasn't the entire original band..

Two things i don't get though..

1. Amazon.com still lists no release date for the album and no info at all and it's supposed to be out in four days..

2. It's being released on Sunday.. Sunday? WTF? Industry standard has been Tuesdays for over twenty years..

A very articulate review of Chinese Democracy by none other than Chuck Klosterman:

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/chuck_klosterman_reviews

Reviewing Chinese Democracy is not like reviewing music. It's more like reviewing a unicorn. Should I primarily be blown away that it exists at all? Am I supposed to compare it to conventional horses? To a rhinoceros? Does its pre-existing mythology impact its actual value, or must it be examined inside a cultural vacuum, as if this creature is no more (or less) special than the remainder of the animal kingdom? I've been thinking about this record for 15 years; during that span, I've thought about this record more than I've thought about China, and maybe as much as I've thought about the principles of democracy. This is a little like when that grizzly bear finally ate Timothy Treadwell: Intellectually, he always knew it was coming. He had to. His very existence was built around that conclusion. But you still can't psychologically prepare for the bear who eats you alive, particularly if the bear wears cornrows.

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/chuck_klosterman_reviews

Here's what Chuck Klosterman said about the album.

Surprisingly enough, all the high profile music critics are giving the album extremely high ratings.. including Axl's long time arch nemesis Jesse Hughes:

http://gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1814

See, this is why I hate Chuck Klosterman. He is more interested in dealing out glib wittcisms than functioning as a real critic. I think the project of creating a literary school of pop-music writing is a ghost that needs to be given up. That review, realistically, would be more effective if it just said: "This band has always been bad, and now they're also totally irrelevent. Obviously, this record is terrible and depressing."

Skip the first paragraph of Chuck's review, he gets into it after his self-indulgent gibberish.

Kiya

For the time being it is a Best Buy exclusive release.

Are you fucking kidding me?

That is most evil disgusting shit ever...

Edit: I love Best Buy.. but c'mon, a music release being exclusive to ONE store? I know it can't be ONLY Best Buy, iTunes lists it as a new release too but i don't fuck with digital music.

Wait, Best Buy exclusive? I'm confused…I thought the goal was to sell records.

This is a conclusion built on your assumptions that musicians need more money for drugs alcohol and strippers. Axle Rose died 15 years ago and in his current vampire reincarnation he has no need for any of those things.

See, this is why I hate Chuck Klosterman. He is more interested in dealing out glib wittcisms than functioning as a real critic. I think the project of creating a literary school of pop-music writing is a ghost that needs to be given up. That review, realistically, would be more effective if it just said: "This band has always been bad, and now they're also totally irrelevent. Obviously, this record is terrible and depressing."

i read that, and then read the first sentence of this review. it made me want to punch something, and i'm not a violent person.

also - anyone who has seen what axl rose has looked like for the past 20 years could've anticipated how awful this album was going to be

This is a conclusion built on your assumptions that musicians need more money for drugs alcohol and strippers. Axle Rose died 15 years ago and in his current vampire reincarnation he has no need for any of those things.

I'd like to think this is true.. but a few things lead me to believe otherwise..

1. He lives in Los Angeles still

2. Look at his face

3. I saw him live a couple of years ago and he was not only drinking beer after beer onstage but the way he was running around with the mic-stand i swear to god there would be NO other way to do it without taking an entire ball of meth to the head chased by a bottle of Adderall.

I would like to point out...

When the last GnR album came out i skipped class during my freshman year of high school with a friend to go buy Use Your Illusion at Tower Records; that was in 1991.

I'm assuming that most people here were far from high school when that album came out...