Portable Audio

meditation

iPods have incredibly clear sound, though they aren't as bass-y as iRivers or other players and thus aren't going to satisfy the common listeners in the same way, who demand a thumpy beat. The sound is great for me, as I tend to be really picky about quality and clarity (as much as I can afford to be) and they deliver incredibly good higher end. There are lots of modifications, accessories and other things you can do with it. Kind of like buying a Honda. Like Hondas, the only downside is the ubiquity (I assume this is why the OP is ruling them out from consideration, because all things considered, aside from simple hd space:price ratio, there's no other reason to rule them out). I love how simple it is, and in general the product design of it is very impressive and functional.

For the price, iPods are a great value.

I also have a old Lyra, I hardly use it cause it drains batteries so quickly.

My brother and another friend of mine has a Sandisk player, it's a good MP3 player for the money.

I have a 512 Shuffle, I put it in the wash by accident. Needless to say it wasn't working after 35 minutes in the wash. But my brother flashed the shuffle with the new firmware the next day (after it dried) and it started to work again. It's a pretty durable MP3 player.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Quote:

inspired by the headphones thread

What's the best out there now?

no iPods.

--- Original message by meditation on Nov 22, 2005 03:55 PM

Whats with all these people thinking they`re too good for ipods? Why? Same as McDonalds. Its consistant quality worldwide and its a cheap meal. So why not? Just coz its successful you wont touch it?

And what the fuck? did someone say that the price:hd space ratio is worse on ipod? Ipod vs Iriver is no comp - standard 20gb music ipod = around $8.95 per gig, standard 6gb music iriver = $38 per gig.

Anyone seen those `m:robes`? I think the ad campaign in Australia was aimed at people who were fashion conscious but somehow didnt wanna conform by buying ipod - but at the same time make the people that make `m:robe` rich. bullshit.

Also agree its simplicity and functionality (click wheel is genious) cant be touched.

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Nov 22, 2005 at 07:32 PM

Edited by MilSpex on Nov 22, 2005 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

no iPods.

Whats with all these people thinking they`re too good for ipods? Why? Same as McDonalds. Its consistant quality worldwide and its a cheap meal. So why not? Just coz its successful you wont touch it?

And what the fuck? did someone say that the price:hd space ratio is worse on ipod? Ipod vs Iriver is no comp - standard 20gb music ipod = around $8.95 per gig, standard 6gb music iriver = $38 per gig.

Anyone seen those `m:robes`? I think the ad campaign in Australia was aimed at people who were fashion conscious but somehow didnt wanna conform by buying ipod - but at the same time make the people that make `m:robe` rich. bullshit.

Also agree its simplicity and functionality (click wheel is genious) cant be touched.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Nov 22, 2005 07:32 PM

what the fuck?

how do you bring mcdonald's into the equation??

up until apple released the 60 gig video for 400$ it wasn't the best value in mp3 players. (i argue that it isn't even now..)

but many other mp3 players do things the ipod cannot. it isn't invincible. apple have serious quality control issues. you cannot get mad at someone if they do not like ipods. even if their argument for not liking them is because everyone has one, this being a fashion forum and all, i feel it is a valid argument to make.

nomad jukebox zen xtra for me.

ipod's sound quality is nowhere near the best out there.

can't replace the battery without the almighty apple doing it for you

unless you feel comfy cracking the bitch open and voiding your warranty.

99.9% of people send it back to apple.

aimed at shitty middle of the road music consumers. anyone with any

decent taste in music would balk at 40GB for apple's price, when there

are mp3 players with better sound, lower price, and higher capacity out there.

all youre sacrificing is size and design.

maybe i'm an elitist music scum bag, but i think the ipod is geared towards people

who care more about following a trend and having the latest cool gadget, as opposed

to people who care more about their tunes.

I've owned an Ipod buying the new video soon. Wouldnt touch Lyra or whatever first off all the other companies use shitty software like Napster coming with one of them lyra or creative labs. Who the fuck wants Napster?

Point is Apple is not the best and is overpriced but truthfully overall is the best choice if you look at every single thing including the software and such it comes with.

Not to mention do you think Apple gives a fuck the Nano is kicking as and so is the video Apple owns the mp3 market.

Buy and ipod, I have a creative zen touch.

I say this cause I have massive amounts of music, and need a larger harddrive style player.

The touch is good with battery life and little else, the interface is tough to use, sound quality is only o.k. and it looks like shit.

The Ipod looks good, and has a bunch of shit for it.

The only other consideration in my book is a creative zen micro, if you only need 5gigs then its the way to go.

Trust me I have done alot of reaserch on these things.

Exceptions Prove the Rule - Kontroll

all MP3 players will have shitty sound quality - its a compressed music format!! if you're so concerned about sound quality, this will probably sound better :

B0001B15TI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

otherwise, just get a damn ipod. itunes is great. and the video ipod is sweet.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Quote:
Quote:

no iPods.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Nov 22, 2005 07:32 PM

Mcdonalds tastes awful.

iPods arent good or the best. What I don't like about the iPod:

needs software to put music on it

worse sound than its competition

the eq doesnt work

does not include what should be included, you need to buy accessories for more than $100 to use what few features it has. doesnt even include a charger.

need to buy quicktime for $30 to convert movies

scratches if you look at it

music on itunes is expensive and DRM'ed which keeps consumers from buying another brand - the music they've bought on itunes can only be played on an ipod

and your size/price ratio comparison isnt valid because its a 1.8hdd vs a microhdd which are always more expensive. plus, if that's how you rate mp3players, there are much better players to be had.

SOME GIRLS ARE BIGGER THAN OTHERS

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Nov 23, 2005 at 05:08 AM

ipods are definitely not the best out there. and this is coming from someone who has an ipod mini..

i really just want a flash based player and the shuffle got tired real quick. anyway im thinking about an iaudiou2 or u3, pc and mac compatible, up to 20 hrs battery life..

the sony players i would consider but they are not mac compatible and they use sonicestage(?) which i hear is pretty horrible.

what happened to just clicking and dragging music onto the players?

sound quality?

get a cd player istead, or MD

mp3 is know for having lesser quality compare to other music format, thats why they record it in Mp3 fromat its compress, smaller file there for u could put more into the player, if sound is wht u complain about dont get a MP3 at all.

mp3players arent worse than cd/md players because of compression but rather the electronics used. not all md and cd players sound great either. use line-out and an amp and you'll pretty much have cd-quality.

there was actually a blindtest done a couple of years ago with 192kbps mp3s and wavs, only like two people could tell the difference between the mp3 and the wav file, and even then they were wrong in 30% of the cases.

mp3 is not a limiting format, 192kbps is the same as cd quality for probably 99,9% of the earths population.

SOME GIRLS ARE BIGGER THAN OTHERS

• 1 year later...

ipod is definitely not the best out right now.

my cowon a2 just broke, but not because its unreliable. ive dropped it countless times, and it has come into contact with water. it broke because my little cousins broke the charging inlet.

hyped up for this:

prcowonx7lo7.jpg

touchscreen.