General TV show discussion

mrip

So Fox is gonna remake Luther I guess. Maybe I'll eventually get around to the original

Finished up season 1 of Community, pretty entertaining. Late pass obviously, I heard it kinda drops off after awhile but it's just a background show anyway. On that same note, have been watching some Broad City episodes finally and it has its moments

Also, this trailer came out today

Banshee Season 3: Trailer (Cinemax):

Yessss Banshee! Very much excited for the 3rd season

Regarding Community, I really liked the first three seasons but yeah after that it drops off (it's still probably one of the better comedy shows on tv, but considering how much shit there is that doesn't really say a lot)

Paintball episodes will forever remain among my favorite episodes of any series

VPN bru, get on it (PrivateInternetAccess.com is dope, $40/year, no logs + Android support)

Finished up all of Broad City, better than expected. A little different type of humor than Workaholics, but still relatable with all the weed smoking and shenanigans

Edited by jayrock

lol

i'm surprised and happy that the pace has remained steady after teh fantastic opener. 

i'm trying hard to be objective but the (ex)wife isn't very easy to sympathise with despite her loss, going to chalons du bois to poo-poo tony's efforts? wtf, woman! plus an honourable mention to the journo who expertly plays the role of a little shit.

lol

i'm surprised and happy that the pace has remained steady after teh fantastic opener. 

i'm trying hard to be objective but the (ex)wife isn't very easy to sympathise with despite her loss, going to chalons du bois to poo-poo tony's efforts? wtf, woman! plus an honourable mention to the journo who expertly plays the role of a little shit.

Yeah the journo is there to advance the plot but also to represent the wonderful British school of tabloid journalism; I'm sure he'll hack into a phone at some point.

BTW Malik and Julien both wear some pretty nice clothes, I mean the later's 2006 outfit of green military jacket, dress shirt, slim raw jeans and beige suede chelseas (?) is fitting but very sufu-approved. Oh and say what you want about the wife but she went through a terrific relooking, she looks ace in the present while her lame 2006 haircut makes her look like a totally different person.

iZtvfWF.jpg

Some spoilers below:

A few things I'm wondering as of the end of the third eps (just started fourth):

- Is the event from the past Tony and his stepfather have kept hidden the beating or is there something else (remember their earlier convo?). Now the guy that got beatup might just be enough to bring a twist, he's the doctor/nurse guy that was with the father, right?

-The whole big businessman/pervert working with banlieue dealers to do human trafficking angle better be a side plot because it would suck as the main explanation. I don't need the melodrama version of Taken, this series deserves more (something more personal, a bubbling up of the past). Of course I'm pretty sure it isn't the main explanation considering we have some eps left.

-We didn't get to see where Tony was working, was he up to some union carbide shit and is this a revenge story?

-Can't wait to see what Khalid was caught up with, not sure it will matter as far as solving the missing case but they've managed to keep the 2006 events relatively gripping.

-On that 2006 versus 2014 tip: every time there's some 2006 action involving Julien I keep thinking this is where he'll get his leg damaged, it is a very minor plot point but they keep using astute directing (see the car accident and the shot of his legs -this is the best scene if you want to see his great boots- when he gets out of the car, nah, still going strong) to make viewers anticipate his imminent injury.

-Props for sticking with every character, when I saw the pedo and random junkie girlfriend had plotlines in the present I knew I was dealing with a superior series.

Edited by Fuuma

^agreed on all points

saw the latest ep last night and it's another cracker B) B)

Saw it too. Series is going to reach Broadchurch-level of critical concensus.

-Didn't like how they cheated with the "crazy old wife on a boat" sequence (this series retains certain aspects of trad British detective novel so no fucking cheating, they probably wrote themselves in a corner and had to fuckup to get back on track, lame) although it had pretty much confirmed it wasn't the main plot anyway, no way in hell would this thing have ended on some wild chase in the indian sea, this isn't James Bond.

-They're really driving the point home that Tony is a violent individual, I don't think it will stop mattering in the next eps and maybe as an explanation of what happened in the past.

-Creepy old man in a white van who now lives in Belgium, this brings us back to Khalid (he picked up something and said old man was watching him in a 2006 sequence eps 4, I think).

-Random fuck with painter girl was useless, maybe they just wanted to contrast her nightmarish paintings of children to the cutesy creepy ones of mr pedobusiness.

-Vincent the fine young kid toucher is a very compelling character, very well written and played.

-Lots of Belgians playing french peeps although the story is set near Lille so half the region is in Belgium. Still you can feel that tax exemption policy in full force.

Edited by Fuuma

finished up all 5 seasons of community. all in all pretty entertaining, with the first couple seasons being the best, but this is the biggest takeaway for me. <3 alison brie

looking forward to the sixth/last season in early 2015. lots of great TV coming up this january -- always sunny, workaholics, broad city, the americans, justified, banshee, etc.

Edited by jayrock

the missing, damn. finished relatively strongly i thought, usually most thrillers peter out but this one had a haunting feeling to the end. tony, tony, tony...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02fbyxg/preview-the-missing-series-2-teaser

so it looks like this was the first story in an anthology, a trailer for teh second series was shown straight afterwards and looks like it has something to do with germany. julien's voice too, hope he returns.

been hearing nice things about season 4 but I just cant bring myself to watch it. after season 3 i dont even know where the show could go. feel like the main plot is totally dead and thats what I was mostly interested in

Well obviously Brody is gone, but I think Claire Danes still does a great job of playing the most lovable and despicable spy in TV right now. This show is all about sacrifice and compromises and I think Season 4 did a great job exploring that issue.

• 2 weeks later...

started and finished the affair.  it was slow at first but def gained momentum and i enjoyed it.

season 2 of the fall was solid too.

I've had the flu since NYE and marathoned the fuck outta scandal on Netflix... started as guilty pleasure and now i can't stop.

House of Cards, would blow any of them out of the water.

Anyone know when that  comes back on?

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I don't really see the point of this comment since they are such different series.

Like, yeah Kick-Ass is a fun movie but guys Shawshank Redemptions blows it out of the water.

Ok? So what?

But to answer your question so that this post is not as useless as yours, House of Cards season 3 will be released on February 27th