Tumblr

NatseOklim

You're citing server stability as an actual factor? U srs bro? Some of us have been on tumblr for quite a while, "switching costs" are high, chronic server stability issues have only occurred recently and if they were prevalent at the onset sure I could understand that weighing in as a factor. I'll have to assume you're trolling because you can't be that stupid.

Dude, your tumblr is from december 2008, mine is from september 2008. Don't get all hipster high and mighty like you're some type of pioneer, I've had mine longer and I'm not gonna claim that I'm special for that. And yes, server stability is a major problem on tumblr, where do you think all the meme's based on this image come from?

tumblrdown.jpg

They may be recent but to say that they don't play into the usability of tumblr is bullshit. Don't call me stupid, get off your fucking high horse, and understand how the vast majority of tumblr users actually use tumblr. The big text posts are NOT suited to the format of tumblr, and would be better suited to a different format.

Dude, your tumblr is from december 2008, mine is from september 2008. Don't get all hipster high and mighty like you're some type of pioneer, I've had mine longer and I'm not gonna claim that I'm special for that. And yes, server stability is a major problem on tumblr, where do you think all the meme's based on this image come from?

tumblrdown.jpg

They may be recent but to say that they don't play into the usability of tumblr is bullshit. Don't call me stupid, get off your fucking high horse, and understand how the vast majority of tumblr users actually use tumblr. The big text posts are NOT suited to the format of tumblr, and would be better suited to a different format.

That's like saying paint is only suppose to go on canvas, how dare you put it on the side of a building? And with a spraycan?

You have your puritanical panties in a wad because someone wants to do it their way? You're trying to be as prescriptive as possible and I'm the one that's high and mighty?

That's like saying paint is only suppose to go on canvas, how dare you put it on the side of a building? And with a spraycan?

You have your puritanical panties in a wad because someone wants to do it their way? You're trying to be as prescriptive as possible and I'm the one that's high and mighty?

Try spray painting on the ocean, there in innovative and there is stupid. Using tumblr for long text posts is stupid and would be much BETTER in a different format.

And if you're gonna use the analogy of paint and canvasses, at least use a good one. Paint was put on walls a LONG time before it was put on canvas.............

Try spray painting on the ocean, there in innovative and there is stupid. Using tumblr for long text posts is stupid and would be much BETTER in a different format.

And if you're gonna use the analogy of paint and canvasses, at least use a good one. Paint was put on walls a LONG time before it was put on canvas.............

It doesn't seem like we're going to come to any sort of concession, so if it's ok with you I'm just going to keep doing what I do. Sorry that it doesn't fit the mold of what you think a website should be. I'm clearly doing it all wrong.

Keep being obtuse about this, you obviously started your tumblr for the exact same reasons as the majority of users did, to post images. Your posting history supports that. Let's get real about why you want to stick with tumblr, because you built up a base of followers and don't want to lose them.

Keep being obtuse about this, you obviously started your tumblr for the exact same reasons as the majority of users did, to post images. Your posting history supports that. Let's get real about why you want to stick with tumblr, because you built up a base of followers and don't want to lose them.

I think maybe you're uncomfortable with the fact that the site is becoming difficult to pigeonhole into something you can count on to deliver ______ or whatever it is you're looking for.

The medium is not the message.

I think maybe you're uncomfortable with the fact that the site is becoming difficult to pigeonhole into something you can count on to deliver ______ or whatever it is you're looking for.

The medium is not the message.

I'm not becoming uncomfortable with anything, I scroll past the wall of text posts, so apart from adding a tenth of a second to the time it takes me to scroll through my tumblr, I'm not affected practically by them. Would I move away from tumblr if that was what it was moving towards? Yes, absolutely.

And the medium isn't the absolute message, but it plays a large part, and if you'd stop being purposely obtuse about it, you'd agree. Your analogy of putting paint on buildings shows that you understand that putting paint on walls, rather than on canvas is part of the message of graffiti.

This conversation is actually really funny to me cause i'm basically the inverse of ymfy. Publish on wordpress, would probably benefit more if i used tumblr. More pussy.

But whatever fuck it. Who cares

I don't want to tell you how to run your site or anything, but you really shouldn't be posting image posts on your Wordpress. Wordpress is better designed for words. That's why it's called Wordpress.

I don't want to tell you how to run your site or anything, but you really shouldn't be posting image posts on your Wordpress. Wordpress is better designed for words. That's why it's called Wordpress.

SMH, I thought you were gonna stop talking about this? "U mad?" I have a wordpress too btw, I had it before my tumblr and I basically ditched it for tumblr. I did it because the type of posting I do (basically digital scrapbooking) is much easier to do on tumblr. Wordpress is actually a much better blog format IMO than tumblr in many ways. I still get 100 hits a day to my wordpress, despite not posting anything new. It's way superior for things like trackbacks and keywords, discussions etc. It's much better for formatting your posts too. But it's a little slower to post an image, with original source and via source, than tumblr is. So I moved to tumblr.

Like I've said, you obviously felt that tumblr was well suited to your original posting style of loads of images as that's how you originally posted, back in your "pioneering" days.

And yes, billy would probably get more views etc if he was on tumblr, based on his content. Some of your content is purposely ignored by a selection of your followers, Yardsdale.

yard, i think your blog is great. i actually check specifically for your text content since i cant be arsed to hunt down that sort of stuff myself.

i pretty much read almost every article you post. my favorite recent one was the DFW acadamia piece.

i dont think the wall of text posts are offensive or inconvenient at all, but i dont have ADD and prefer media that requires a little participation on my part, which probably puts me in the minority of blog readers.

one of the things that makes me keep reading ymfy is that it has those sorts of posts. i can find regurgitated streetstyle pics anywhere.

This conversation is actually really funny to me cause i'm basically the inverse of ymfy. Publish on wordpress, would probably benefit more if i used tumblr. More pussy.

But whatever fuck it. Who cares

Should conduct a study of pussy got via wordpress/pussy got via tumblr. Graphs and shit. Real official shit.

Also, I don't know if that whole argument about "pictures to get followers" argument applies here. I'm sure it works, but it doesn't really apply to YMFY seeing as dude probably has more followers than all of us put together. I'm not saying the "post tits cop follows" approach doesn't work, but you wouldn't walk up to the advertising head of Coke and be like "yo, this is how you get people to drink Coke". He obviously knows what he's doing, and by posting the aforementioned "long text posts" and really putting some effort into his site, he differentiates himself. Personally, I follow him because I like the long ass posts. Whatever blogging platform he uses shouldn't really be an issue. I switched from Wordpress to Tumblr for the time being too. Its just way easier to post stuff, and its quicker. If you dictate your css/html right, there doesn't have to be any real difference between a wordpress and a tumblr, aside from the "follow" in the top corner. For christs sake, The Sartorialist still uses .blogspot

tl;dr: #letthatboytumbl

/noshots

1. The vast majority of people who use/read/consume tumblr sites, do so through the dashboard. Hell, even the kid on Toy Story 3 uses the dashboard.

2. Wall of text posts don't work well within the confines of the dashboard.

I don't get how these 2 things are up for debate. If the majority of the consumers of your product consume it a certain way, why not cater to that? There are many different ways to still post large text posts without posting walls of text. Especially considering that we're normally not talking about stuff actually written by Yardsdale, we're talking about copy pasting huge amounts of text from someone else. I just took a look at my dashboard and there is a HUGE wall of text post from Yarsdale, that is TRUNCATED by tumblr (so you can't even read the whole thing from your dashboard) and is copy and pasted from another site. Why not post a quote from the article (for which tumblr has it's own special post type) and a link to the original article? That way there is some editorial control going on, I might read the quote and decide to go read the full article, and the dashboards of that vast majority of tumblr users who use the dashboard, isn't clogged up.

We're not talking ADHD here, I read long articles on the internet, I even read the whole of 1984 online late last year, I just don't do so through tumblr's dashboard.

Goslett, you're taking the "post tits" argument out of context, it was in reply to Yardsdale saying that "Half this thread is about people bitching about how they only have a few hundred followers etc. but they never to stop to look to their left and right. They're all just jjjjound clones without their own thoughts, just regurgitating and aggregating the same 10 men's fashion blogs." In which case my argument there is valid, if you're just looking to gain followers, post nudes/graffiti/graphic design. I wasn't telling HIM to post that, but if you're looking for a quick way to followers, it's the easiest way.

Half this thread is about people bitching about how they only have a few hundred followers etc. but they never to stop to look to their left and right. They're all just jjjjound clones without their own thoughts, just regurgitating and aggregating the same 10 men's fashion blogs." In which case my argument there is valid, if you're just looking to gain followers, post nudes/graffiti/graphic design. I wasn't telling HIM to post that, but if you're looking for a quick way to followers, it's the easiest way.

Glad someone said this. Can't rep at the moment

I'll give another example of something that doesn't work as well in tumblr as people think - multiple images in one post, ala convoy. In the dashboard they all appear as small clickable thumbnails, rather than as the 450ish pixel images of everything else. Again, I think these blogs would be better off using something other than tumblr.

Just to show it's not about ADHD, it's about the user experience.

Glad someone said this. Can't rep at the moment

Don't rep me if you mean the bold part, that was Yardsdale. I might agree that there are too many of them (in fact, I do - I follow very very very few of the tumblrs from this thread for example), but if you want to rep for that statement, rep Yardsdale.

hahaha i was about to post that

jjjjound has been using the same 15 posts for like 4 years.

white polo vneck.

black car.

white leather shoes

folded up raw denim.

pic of a hot guy, pause.

a chick.

maybe a chair

but he's OG of this image posting shit so wahtever.