houston, stand up.

the_state

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are all the people doing who decided to stay? I have been watching aftermath videos and the damage seems pretty horrific.

They always show the most dramatic and catastrophic pics. Best way to get higher ratings.

Media did the same thing with the 1989 earthquake in SF. My relativs from the East Coast thought the city was destroyed cause all they showed was Bridges and houses collapsed.

just received power and water back on at my house (sw/bellaire)

but I stayed in Corbin Law's area last night (cypress/katy)

most of the city is still without power

had about 40-60 mph winds (cypress/katy)

Ike went through downtown first

me and Corbin's area was gonna get hit with the tip of the hurricane

but it turned right a few hours before it was set to hit us and our area got sparred

mostly fences, trees and power lines went down in the suburbs

downtown was hit the hardest with flooding and blown out windows

the hurricane itself was pretty wicked last night but died down by morning

I've got a mediocre quality video of the winds at around 3:00 a.m. last night

and a dozen pictures of the aftermath from today

will post up pictures when I grab my usb cord from my other house

most of the citizens are okay as far as I know

mostly property damage

thanks for looking out Superfuture

will try to keep you informed as best I can

they say Galveston is going to take a month to restore its power but most of the city is slowly getting it's power back. Which I must say is amazing compared to Katrina's aftermath.

I give it Wednesday tops before everyone has power, business start opening up and students start going back to school.

Guest youkinorn

It didn't even rain in Austin...everything missed to the east, I guess.

Hurricanes follow my sister. She moved to New Orleans for school a couple weeks before Katrina and just moved to Houston for work at the end of August.

I'm in Austin now, but a lot of my family's down in Houston. My parents said that they were going to ride it out. "Whatever, it's just a storm," my dad said. "What's the worst that could happen? A few windows break."

Was kind of worried about my grandma, since she's almost eighty and lives alone. But my parents carted her off to her brother's house, which is about an hour more inland, so she should be OK, too.

wow your family is extremely degenerate.

I do not mean to undermine this whole incident, and I wish condolences to those who lost family or property, but seriously, I wish the news stations would shut the fuck up about how a hurricane is going to kill everyone each time one comes around.

They had some reporter stationed in houston in front of some barricade, and it reminded me of a shot used on 9/11 on the news -- minus the frenzied chaos.

Instead of reporting on mass casualties (maybe the catastrofic trainwreck in California?) this lady was talking about how there are panes of glass shattering about once an hour.

Who gives a fuck if a corporate building in downtown Houston loses some windows? New Orleans is still FUCKED from Katrina to this day, and all our news stations and pundits can do is feign compassion and interest to the people impacted by these recent storms in order to compensate for New Orleans.

just got power back a couple of minutes ago.

i had no real damage, but a couple of tornadoes aparently went through my girl's neighborhood. i drove through it last night and there was a line of trees just torn to shreds and numerous reports of what sounded like a freight train coming through the nieghborhood.

best friends house almopst got hit by a massive tree, but it hit his old nieghbors instead. no real damage cause it didnt penetrate the roof, but it was a huge fucking tree.

was i the only one who heard strange buzzing sounds flying around the house during thehurricane. i suspect extraterristrial activity, but i may be wrong. sounded like man-hacks manhack.jpg

I'm a n00b when it comes to hurricanes, so I'm asking this 'cause I'm seriously curious.

Does insurance cover any/all of this?

Yes I believe insurance covers most if not all of it but you have to pay a deductible. So lets say your fence gets blown down like at my house. My mom has a 2% deductible ($2000 out of her pocket) that she has to pay if she wants the insurance to pay for the fence but a fence doesn't cost 2 grand to fix (more like $200 splitting the cost with your neighbors) so most people just replace the minor property damage out of there own pockets.

but for people like Jimmy who had major property damage he'd probably pay the deductible and have the insurance cover the rest.

most business are opening back up today. school's are scheduled to return on Wednesday and Thursday. I suspect that come next week everything will be back to normal and the sad fact is that Galveston will be forgotten to most of the world along with New Orleans until the next hurricane comes.

two giant trees fell on my house, truck & motorcycle. Pics to come later. My friend in Galveston lived but his house is destroyed.

That sucks Jimmy, I hope everything works out for ya man.

Also, any idea what the deal with Galveston is? On the news they kept saying that 20,000 people stayed after, and faced "certain death". It's bugging everybody if those people are OK, especially since no one is allowed into the island, including the media. Sounds like a sketchy situation.

I'm in Southwest Houston and we had a lot of fallen trees in the area, along with minor house damage (shingles, roof damage, gutters, etc), and blown away fences. Our electricity went out the night of the hurricane, came back yesterday morning and then went out for almost all of today. Now we just need our cell phones to work, and EFFFFFFF THIS CURFEW in Houston.

Yes I believe insurance covers most if not all of it but you have to pay a deductible. So lets say your fence gets blown down like at my house. My mom has a 2% deductible ($2000 out of her pocket) that she has to pay if she wants the insurance to pay for the fence but a fence doesn't cost 2 grand to fix (more like $200 splitting the cost with your neighbors) so most people just replace the minor property damage out of there own pockets.

but for people like Jimmy who had major property damage he'd probably pay the deductible and have the insurance cover the rest.

most business are opening back up today. school's are scheduled to return on Wednesday and Thursday. I suspect that come next week everything will be back to normal and the sad fact is that Galveston will be forgotten to most of the world along with New Orleans until the next hurricane comes.

Yea, FEMA is there too, but they don't pay the deductible. It's gonna be a pain trying to figure out what to do, bc our gutter fell, we had side wood damage, fence, chimney damage, etc. It sucks, but my heart goes out to the people who lost everything, or had trees fall on their houses/cars, etc. Also, if people have to replace their whole fence in our area, it could cost up to 5k if I remember right, but that would be split with the neighbors I believe.

half of my town still doesn't have power. Lucky for me my house is on the main street in town (TX ST Hwy 59) so we got power bacK very quickly.

Will probably be a week before I can get a professional tree service over here to get these two trees off my house.

Got my motorcycle out from under a the big tree yesterday (see earlier pics). Only the speedometer was broken so I was lucky.

I'll post more pics later.