Blur vs. Oasis: 2k8 - The Battle Rages On

jeepster

Blur vs. Oasis  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Blur vs. Oasis

• Blur
    • Oasis
    • both sucked, I like AMERIKAN MUZIK.
    • BOTH SUCKED, MENSWEAR WERE THE BEST BRITPOP BAND.
    • neither

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to Oasis more than I do Beatles.

neg rep?

p.s.

I voted Rolling Stones

i listen to yoko ono more than i listen to the beatles.

For the record, i was 20 years old when Song #2 came out.

jesus, am i the oldest person on this forum?

will deal with the jeepster thesis later. though i should point out that the boo radleys were better than any of these so-called britpop bands

Oasis's first two albums were better than anything Blur ever did. Blur's best album, 1997's Blur, was made under the auspices of Stephen Malkmus, so it's hard to say that Blur themselves weren't just rip-off artists, too.

this is great because i kind of believe it. youtube some old oasis videos, one is at the wetlands before they got really big. their version of columbia is fucking off the hook. as much as I love blur, oasis takes the cake.

also the b-sides stuff oasis had are insane. aquiesce? whatever? it's good to be free are all phenomenal songs.

what sucks now is that liam has done so many drugs and smoked too many cigs he cant sing as well as he used to.

I bought a black telecaster because of that beezy in Elastica. I now want another black tele. :(

i fucking had the biggest crush on justine when i was a wee lad after seeing them at lolla. their second album sucked though, the first one was great, still listen to it sometimes. carsong ftw!

yo readytoignite, meet up this saturday, we can duke it out in person hahah

also; going to SY, yes/no? i think you said once they've turned into a greatest hits band for you, or something like that.

i can't make saturday afternoon but thanks. i like sonic youth just fine, but i think the last time i went out of my way to see them was 1993; based on the times i've inadvertently seen them since then i don't see that changing anytime soon.

i'm not sure i understand your construct about the smiths so you'll have to explain a bit more. i suppose if you have this idea about "english" music having its own identity then they are a very english band indeed.

otoh i think you're reading too much into the stone roses, they were very much a product of their time and place and their music reflects that. obviously as they matured and were exposed to to more music they're going to start being influenced by other stuff; most guitar bands of that era seemed to settle on americana of various flavors (ride, primals, etc being inspired by stax, ) so don't see why they'd be any different. same with oasis to a lesser degree. i actually can't remember the rest of the post but should point out that downwithianbrown is spot on.

re: ddml's comment, the "elastica ripped off wire" argument is so old and self-evidently obsolete as i will point out if elastica were a hip-hop group sampling wire, nobody would be making this argument. also who in their right minds would conflate wire and elastica? i love elastica's first, television's first (and the blow up), quicksilver messenger service, the strokes first and wire - i don't see any need to pick sides here.

this is great because i kind of believe it. youtube some old oasis videos, one is at the wetlands before they got really big. their version of columbia is fucking off the hook. as much as I love blur, oasis takes the cake.

also the b-sides stuff oasis had are insane. aquiesce? whatever? it's good to be free are all phenomenal songs.

what sucks now is that liam has done so many drugs and smoked too many cigs he cant sing as well as he used to.

Yeah, I've always felt that a measure of a great band is the quality of their B-sides. And Oasis in the early 90s was indisputably a great band.

it just goes beyond homage

i like sample based music but stealing guitar riffs is just too fucked up and lame

i do like the first elastica for what it is but i will reach for pink flag first any day of the week

yeah, but then again, Blur had to give writing credits to David Bowie on the song "M.O.R." and Oasis had to pay the estate of Marc Bolan for the riff they stole in "Cigarette's and Alcohol"

a lot of these bands were guilty of ripping off other bands and each other.