5$ selvage jeans in bagkok, how is it possible?

juxtaposed

after being on here quite a while and having read a lot about denim, i am really wondering and questioning myself: how the hell literally 5 mio. thais in bangkok wear fake lvc's and big E's. where do they produce all this huge amount of selvage denim? and how can they do it so dirt cheap? we've been told that producing selvage was more expensive since shuttle looms and all that blablabla. therefore its retail is more expensive. but in bangkok, (which has by far, the worlds highest density in selvage denim. (every other guy wears selvage. forget tokio.) the fakes are sold for 5$. even if they are fakes nonetheless they are selvage. and quite good ones.

so is producing selvage really that cost intensive? i understand that there are labels that use more quality cotton and better dyes and so on. but can it be that all that selvage denim hype is just a smart marketing move?

it seems Thailand has quite a few old style shuttle looms....EVIL jeans was getting his redline selvage from Thailand for his 1937 501 repros and he was selling them for $95 so the material must have been very inexpensive. on a related note, EVIL is no more as the guy is being sued by Levi's for copyright infringement by using the arcuates on the back pockets so he got shut down.

Quote:

looks like it doc... denim looks real good tho

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Oct 28, 2005 06:07 AM

im not really that bothered about it as i only paid 17£ shipped or so. However i just assumed they were 'real' slevedge. The denim is really streaky and slubby, yeah its quite nice.