Its So Close

broneck

Was writing for a minute, Lab is right though. This summary is totally inadequate. Read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

I am excited as fuck for the Watchment movie. Quick and dirty: set in alternate reality 1980's US. Everyone anxious, nervous as people assume Mutually Assured Destruction and superheroes exist. Except they're more like Batman - they're just exceptionally good vigilantes. Someone starts killing off the old heroes and two of the old heroes try to find out why.

Dr. Manhattan: only person with actual powers, got them in a cell splitting blah blah. Fucking blue, instant teleportation for himself or anyone else, can see the cellular AND mechanical structure

Comedian: US gov't agent, sociopath tendencies. Gun and brute force.

Rorschach: Extremely strong, borderline crazy, any means necessary.

Nite Owl: nerdy gadget guy, minor physical strength. Extremely neurotic.

Silk Spectre: hot female character, agile, intelligent.

Ozymandias: supergenius, strength and agility almost unmatched, billionaire businessman.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, was pretty amazing, aside from all the black people, like usual, screaming out "OH SHIT NIGGA" whenever anything happened, or freaking out during Deebo's cameo. Heath Ledger was incredible, and hilarious. Every character was fully fleshed out and developed, and the action scenes weren't super chopped up and incoherent like in Batman Begins. A few things irked me though. The CGI two-face was fucking crap and took away from the gritty realism of the film, the whole zomg Patriot-Act sonar shit was kinda meh, and Commissioner Gordon's perfect, angelic, blond hair blue eyed kids seemed a little out of place.

Also, The Spirit looks awful, aside from the women.

I thought it was good (nowhere near the godlike merit the supernerds at imdb have rated it though), but had one big issue:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I thought the love interest (maggie gyllenhaal) was terrible. She wasn't cute, interesting, nothing. There was no backstory to why bruce wayne loved her, or why she loved him. She was really dull, I wanted to feel bad for her when she got blown up, but her character did nothing for me.

I'm up in the air about some things...sonar for one.

but i can say that the joker made me really, really uncomfortable...like i didn't want any more of him, that uncomfortable. fuck he was awful. ugh.

action wise, there is really no fucking with that movie...

************ spoil

i realized a couple of hours ago that batman didn't really use any tools from his belt this time, did he?

just those sticky bombs and grappling hooks to pull the swat away.

like he shouldve just fucked up those dogs with some kind of tool. smoke nade or some shit.

That Spirit trailer makes the movie looks reaaaaaally shitty. Frank Miller's nior dialogue is grating on my nerves. Has 99% of modern comic book fans even read an issue of The Spirit, not counting Darwin Cooke's version? Is Sam Jackson even trying in movies anymore?

DK was fucking awesome though. I thought the action was the sloppiest part of Batman Begins but damn the scenes in this were flawless. I don't know why everyone is creaming a load over Arron Eckharts performance as I thought it was just okay? Did Lucius Fox quit at the end? No Morgan Freeman in future movies?

I was trying to explain Watchmen to the girl I was with and she had idea wtf I was talking about.

DK was fucking awesome though. I thought the action was the sloppiest part of Batman Begins but damn the scenes in this were flawless

I had a problem with a few of the hand to hand combat scenes. A lot of times you could see the people hesitate and slow before contact. I don't consider this a small problem in an action movie. Consider that if you've seen Hellboy II. The fight scenes in it, while clearly shot in a different way, are flawless.

That Spirit trailer makes the movie looks reaaaaaally shitty. Frank Miller's nior dialogue is grating on my nerves. Has 99% of modern comic book fans even read an issue of The Spirit, not counting Darwin Cooke's version? Is Sam Jackson even trying in movies anymore?

DK was fucking awesome though. I thought the action was the sloppiest part of Batman Begins but damn the scenes in this were flawless. I don't know why everyone is creaming a load over Arron Eckharts performance as I thought it was just okay? Did Lucius Fox quit at the end? No Morgan Freeman in future movies?

I was trying to explain Watchmen to the girl I was with and she had idea wtf I was talking about.

no, i dont think he did

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

initially he says that he will quit unless batman terminates the operation, and he does so by entering his name into the system, this made me think that since its gone, he will stay

I thought it was good (nowhere near the godlike merit the supernerds at imdb have rated it though), but had one big issue:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I thought the love interest (maggie gyllenhaal) was terrible. She wasn't cute, interesting, nothing. There was no backstory to why bruce wayne loved her, or why she loved him. She was really dull, I wanted to feel bad for her when she got blown up, but her character did nothing for me.

yeah pretty much.

Heath Ledger, Great Joker or Greatest Joker?

I saw the 12:04 show and waited outside the theater for an hour with my friends. This movie has to be the best movie I've seen in a while now, the action was great especially the first scene that opened up the movie. (SPOILER: the clowns robbing the bank).

Some of my friends want to go see it again in IMAX, I might even go it was that good.

and no sam, there was nothing after************************ dont bother sitting.
extremely negative review questioning the intellectual and moral values of The dark knight

http://www.nypress.com/21/29/film/ArmondWhite.cfm

I've seen a lot of these reviews popping up recently: they have some interesting points but overall they seem to fall into their own trap. That is, they lambaste the "darkness" and "intellectual depravity" as signs of "modern fear" (p.s. whatever) but spend the entire time backing themselves into the "but back in the good old days..." corner of fear which is, in my opinion, much worse.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS DONT READ ETC

after seeing the movie what bothers me most about the review is that it seemed to focus on there being no hope...no light at the end of the tunnel. but the boat scene (although slightly predictable) gave exactly that . . . as soon as they choose to do the right thing they complete undo anything that review says