Suspenders - who rocks them?

Paul T

LAst week I saw a cool old sax player with a look we haven't covered much here. I've never done it. I'm not sure I can. But Bill at Stronghold does. And I think I've seen Cotton Duck, too. Now we've just had a post from Nemoulette (I've linked to his pic - hope that's ok.).

So - who here likes suspenders? Show us what you've got, whether it's pics of you, or others you've seen posted, plus any other tips, like where you get the suspenders (or, if you're in the UK, braces).

(In the UK, suspenders are what women use to hold up their stockings. I think Cotton Duck has started a thread where you post those photos...)

and to get us going.... here's nemoulette's pic from the Leepro thread...

a5716108.png

I wear them on my suit trousers. They are made by Thurston. My Tailor swears by them and convinced me to try them out.

They take a little getting used to but they are very good. I am not against them on denim, I think they can look good, but in the right context (a la cotton duck or Bill). I think the jeans need to be not slim for it to work.

Those ones in the picture above don't seem to be working for me. Either the buttons on the jeans are too far apart or the back of the braces is wrong for the denim.

We here in the UK, call them braces, but they are also what you have on your teeth.

I for one will want to get me some suspenders/braces when I get some Strongholds made for me and also I want them for my LVC 1901's (I think - Mr T, you can correct me if I am wrong, they are the 501's without belt loops).

However when ever I see tighter Levis's and braces I alsways think of the late 70's and early 80's when they were adopted by skinheads with their 18 hole DMs with red laces and the whole ugly NF (national front FAR RIGHT WING) racist movement.

Times change or at least the clothing and associated conotations (spelling?) do.

I've got some Albert Thurston suspenders. They work well with LVC 201s. So I recently got some Duckdigger 1900s, but the buttons are placed badly for the "Y" configuration of the Thurstons... yeah, the buttons are too far apart like in Nem's photo above. I think the diggers need a crossover config, but I'm not sure where to find that type.

http://www.albertthurston.com/

I get confused between "braces" and "suspenders"... one of them is the elastic things the Brits used to hold their socks up.

i like narrow "clip on" braces which you can see in skinhead fashion (have a look at the skinhead book of Nick Knight, not all of them were fuckin racists, in the beginning they did party with caribbean kids) aswell as victorian style braces, but for this look, the jeans need have high waist...

dsc02085rn5.jpg

suspenders are really great. i'm not really capable of pulling off the classy old guy aesthetic, but i still use them in any dressy situation. they're just really awesome for holding up your pants, you know?

i will also confess that i love the semi-aware nerdy look, which is bolstered heavily by suspenders over a t-shirt. it's not really a very sought-after look, but i like it. i'd like to say that girls dig it, but "girls think it's cute in a wounded puppy kind of way but don't really want anything to do with it" is probably closer to the mark. awkward can be adorable, right?

who wants to bring back the mork and mindy rainbow suspenders? i totally had a pair when i was four.

i like narrow "clip on" braces which you can see in skinhead fashion (have a look at the skinhead book of Nick Knight, not all of them were fuckin racists, in the beginning they did party with caribbean kids) aswell as victorian style braces, but for this look, the jeans need have high waist...

dsc02085rn5.jpg

these look great, as do cotton duck's

However when ever I see tighter Levis's and braces I alsways think of the late 70's and early 80's when they were adopted by skinheads with their 18 hole DMs with red laces and the whole ugly NF (national front FAR RIGHT WING) racist movement.

The fashion started far earlier than that. In the late sixties I was wearing braces to keep my Skinners high above my DMs to expose some shin.

The original skinhead movement was apolitical and had nothing to do with racism. Original ska, Motown and Northern Soul were the soundtracks to that era.

The links with fascism came about in the late seventies when the movement was hijacked by the far right. The soundtrack was wildly different too.

The fashion started far earlier than that. In the late sixties I was wearing braces to keep my Skinners high above my DMs to expose some shin.

The original skinhead movement was apolitical and had nothing to do with racism. Original ska, Motown and Northern Soul were the soundtracks to that era.

The links with fascism came about in the late seventies when the movement was hijacked by the far right. The soundtrack was wildly different too.

Hell - I'n not questioning the origins in any way but braces and tight jeans always remind me of that point in my life and the sights around me at that time !

I love the look of them now though when coupled with a pair of worn in 'experienced' denims.

LAst week I saw a cool old sax player with a look we haven't covered much here. I've never done it. I'm not sure I can. But Bill at Stronghold does. And I think I've seen Cotton Duck, too. Now we've just had a post from Nemoulette (I've linked to his pic - hope that's ok.).

So - who here likes suspenders? Show us what you've got, whether it's pics of you, or others you've seen posted, plus any other tips, like where you gets the suspenders (or, if you're in the UK, Brits).

(In the UK, suspenders are what women use to hold up their stockings. I think Cotton Duck has started a thread where you post those photos...)

and to get us going.... here's nemoulette's pic from the Leepro thread...

a5716108.png

I rock mine with the 1890, 201 lvc and my Strongholds.

DSCF4031.jpg

DSCF4030.jpg

DSCF4029.jpg

DSCF3929.jpg

DSCF3928.jpg

DSCF3927.jpg

DSCF3926.jpg

I have been wearing suspenders for some time and ever since I got suspender buttons added to my Warehouse contest jeans at stronghold, I will continue to have buttons installed on all of my jeans. I think vintage inspired clothing is definitely a must with this look. I typically wear my jeans with an LVC chambray shirt or a white T.

suspenders can be pulled off quite well, its just that most cats jack it up . theres a dude running around town (spoken word artist,name witheld) who rocks rainbow suspenders on the reg. not cool dude, not cool. suspenders are like mohawks: not for everybody! duck does it well, the first dude is close, but no cohiba

For instance here are my Warehouse contest jeans with the suspenders.

warehousejuly08005mindt5.jpg

Goddamnit Cotton! Way to post pics all fast and make me look like a neglectful prick..... I'm onto you...

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

With a tie...

IMG_0741-1.jpg

Hangin...

IMG_0740.jpg

YOU TOO CAN ROCK SUSPENDERS!

IMG_0722.jpg

I KNEW Bill and Cotton wouldn't let us down. Very cool pix, and some good headwear too... Bill, what is the name of that (forgive me, RObert Redford-style) flat cap? And what suspenders are those?

I think those 1890s and 1900s pants are the hardest to get right... but they're a real acquired taste, unique, like the fine old Scotch I'm sipping right now (and emptied, damn). I reckon I'm going to try this.

(And sorry I mis-spelt the title thread. It should be "who rocks 'em", of course.)

I KNEW Bill and Cotton wouldn't let us down. Very cool pix, and some good headwear too... Bill, what is the name of that (forgive me, RObert Redford-style) flat cap? And what suspenders are those?

I think those 1890s and 1900s pants are the hardest to get right... but they're a real acquired taste, unique, like the fine old Scotch I'm sipping right now (and emptied, damn). I reckon I'm going to try this.

(And sorry I mis-spelt the title thread. It should be "who rocks 'em", of course.)

The flat cap is a Stetson driving cap..... Re: Rocking turn of the century denim.... I've always found that mixing it in with some more contemporary workwear usually looks best, rather than keeping the whole outfit period accurate, which can tend to make it look costumey. I have a pair of lvc 1886's and I usually rock them rolled up with chucks and a vintage tshirt....

• 3 weeks later...