JCrew Japanese Selvage Denim

bickincr

My Fiance sent this to me today at work andI thought this might be interesting to some people...

I searched the forums to see if anything about this existed, but I came up with nothing. If it is already out there apologize (I am in fear of being reamed for posting something that isn't groundbreaking). Doesn't look like there will be any unwashed denim, but still look like quality jeans nontheless (especially for the price).

selvedge%20denim.jpg

I got a pair of these 2 or 3 years ago before selvedge was everywhere, and they were pretty nice. If I remember correctly they had nice details like hidden rivets, donut buttons, and greenline selvedge. I would definitely suggest sizing down like 2 or 3. If you measure your actual waist, subtract like 4 for a reasonable fit.

That said, for about the same money, you could get raw APCs, LVC...jeans that arguably have better details, fit, and construction

JCrew has made selvage plenty of times before

there was a thread about this like a year ago with a bunch of idiots ranting about how JCrew is just hopping on a trend.

fndmybetterhalf,

do you know if the denim they used in the past was japanese or not? Just curious.

Banana Republic had selvage denim 6 years ago, well before the "selvage denim trend". They were actually really well made with nice denim, better than a lot of stuff people rave about now. I remember at the time they retailed for $98 and I got a pair on sale for $59 and I still thought they were expensive....how time have changed.

Banana Republic had selvage denim 6 years ago, well before the "selvage denim trend". They were actually really well made with nice denim, better than a lot of stuff people rave about now. I remember at the time they retailed for $98 and I got a pair on sale for $59 and I still thought they were expensive....how time have changed.

Are you kidding man? Selvedge denim has only been around since SUFU kids started worrying about washing/drying methods, contests to see who gets the best wear, and people were posting pics of their unworn megacollection gathered over a years time...

Marshal, were you at the J. Crew in Lenox Mall? I was figuring these jeans would be online and catalog only. I would never buy jeans from J. Crew, but I think this is one more ploy of theirs to compete with RRL. I'm almost certain of this, really. Their recent selvage chambray shirts were extremely similar to RRL shirts in terms of logo placement on underside of shirt tail and also overall styling.

• 2 months later...

SO many threads about this,

Better post this before someone else starts another thread...

selvedgegap1ty3.jpg

"Very cool..." :rolleyes:rolleyes010lo8.gif :rolleyes:rolleyes010lo8.gif :rolleyes:rolleyes010lo8.gif

Ugh, there's a painted selvedge jean... :( how authentically jcrew.

Are you kidding man? Selvedge denim has only been around since SUFU kids started worrying about washing/drying methods, contests to see who gets the best wear, and people were posting pics of their unworn megacollection gathered over a years time...

didnt ringring invent selvage?

^ how can you hate on that?

i admit to completely buying into the j. crew aesthetic

i enjoy flipping through their catalogs

BUT i am rarely satisfied with the product once it is in my paws (their shirts are OK)

but the dream, man. it is very. cool.

diddy - I couldn't agree more...the catalogs are so enticing....gently pulling you in to their 'sophisticated american bringing his sartorial flair to vienna' vibe...or the 'blue-blooded Cape Cod stud showing his clam-bake expertise' thing....

also agree that once you bring the actual clothes back to your shitty apartment, they quickly lose their exotic appeal. The shirts are OK (esp on sale) and I generally like to stick to super-basics from them...ie: belts, sweaters, socks, underwear.

I've seen these jeans, but not tried them on...they look *almost* good.

Don't get me wrong man, I think the same about j-crew catalogs. If anything... I give up a few jokerclaps for their marketers.

But let me just repeat (like all of you) most of that shit doesn't fit well, the fabric is crap, pants stretch and blech. If I was a super swoll yuppie who didn't have enough down-time to wear-out/age my own jack purcell shoes, crumple-wash my own shirts and needed to go on a vacation sailboat ride with my corny trust fund hottie of a girl-friend and show off how casual I can be right this weekend then I would have no prob forking money over to j-crew.

The only thing I like are their basic v-neck shirts when under heavy discount... nothing softer than those...

i cosign on the belts, too.

they can source some nice leather.

i have one from many moons ago that is aging nicely and it cannot be construed as a weapon like many offerings from some japanese denim brands

hmm, this is good to know.

I have been looking for a quality brown belt, but was struggling to find a basic one w/ nice leather. good to know this has held up for other people.

Wait... is that the first black guy on a jcrew catalog or no? I don't remember any actual published catalogue with people of color...