supermeatheads

kunk75

So instead of trying to figuring things out on my own with a subject I know next to nothing about, I am going to ask you knowledgeable guys. I've been doing some light exercise the past couple months just to get in some better shape. I was "skinny fat" a year ago and so wanted to fix that. I'm doing better now, but summer is approaching and I want to knock things up a bit. 5'11", ~150lbs, and a 38" chest. I ran track throughout high school and kept up running on my own time for a few years after, so my legs aren't really a concern for me, mostly torso/upper body/arms, etc. Well, if there is an easy way to somehow slim my legs, because nearly 22" seems big for someone my build.

Anyways, I'm just doing things at home, with a very minimal amount of equipment available. Would prefer to not have to head to a gym, but with school done in a week I'm not opposed to the idea.

Monday:

3 x 50 pushups

3 x 15 incline press (75lb)

Tuesday:

3 x 8 pullups

3 x 15 lat pull downs (90lb)

Wednesday:

3 x 12 laterals (20lb)

3 x 10 front raises (20lb)

Thursday:

3 x 15 hammer curls (35lb)

3 x 15 push downs (60lb)

...I know I must be doing something very wrong since this is based off of some (probably made up) brad pitt fight club thing? I dunno. I need to add some abdominal stuff at some point. I have whey powder and general diet is down (eliminated pop unless I'm out having drinks).

Be easy on me :o

What are your goals?

i've been doing this 5x5 routine I found for the last few weeks....1 or 2days day of rest in between....at least twice a week, maybe three times

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

Inverted rows 3 x f

Dips 1 x f, 2 x f (with weight)

Reverse crunch 3 x 12

Workout B

Squat 5x5

Overhead press 5x5

Deadlift 3x5

Pull ups/chin ups 3xF

Prone bridges 3 minutes alternating arms and legs

I get in at least one day of cardio, though two or three would be ideal.

Cardio consists of HIIT jump rope 15-20 minutes in 1 minute intervals....

and/or running on the treadmill with 2 minute intervals for 20 minutes

I like this workout alot but i'm using weight now with my bench and squats where i'm not real comfortable without a spot but dont want to use the smith machine....

Hey guys,

I am doing a lot of cardio these days, running between eight to ten miles four to five times a week. This has done me well for a while, but I want to start incorporating weight training back into my regiment. I don't want to run any less than I am, but I realize that doesn't leave a lot of space to work with. I am also sometimes replacing two sessions of running with judo workouts, which leaves me too beat to do any lifting on those days. What would be a smart way to start introducing weights into my week? At what rate? Do you guys find it better to lift before or after running? Meathead-math has always left me baffled.

Hey guys,

I am doing a lot of cardio these days, running between eight to ten miles four to five times a week. This has done me well for a while, but I want to start incorporating weight training back into my regiment. I don't want to run any less than I am, but I realize that doesn't leave a lot of space to work with. I am also sometimes replacing two sessions of running with judo workouts, which leaves me too beat to do any lifting on those days. What would be a smart way to start introducing weights into my week? At what rate? Do you guys find it better to lift before or after running? Meathead-math has always left me baffled.

How long have you been weight lifting? What are your goals? Too vague man!

But I'll just assume here.

I'd say work out three times away, on days where you don't do judo. Space them something like, mon/wed/fri. On those days do full body workouts.

I'd def say lift before running. But then again, I don't know your goals.

I'm out for two weeks according to my doctor because of 'exertion headaches' or something or other. The worst case scenario according to him was a clump of blood vessels that could be damaged with more effort, but thats not very likely, going in for an MRI and an MRA next week.

working on breathing better while I'm out...gonna lose some gains I guess..

That would be great! I'm looking to just become slimmer in general especially in the leg area to make my jawnz look better. I know that you cant target weight loss, but a good work out plan would help a lot.

OK

Basic rules

Reps should stay between 8-12, aim for 10 or more. If your hitting too much, up the weight, if your hitting not enough reduce it. Weight is nothing but a number,m fuck what everyone else is lifting and lift what works for you

I wont enclude cardio, as I am unfamilier with your level of expertise or goals. I can add something in later if you request it

Diet is paramount to acheive goals, again I dont know your diet so I wont enclude anything here. This is more of a basic startup guide

You need days off, or you wont grow/change shape.

I have tried to enclude excersises that are easy to learn and low on the injury scale. Likewise I didnt add a shitload of sets or drop sets ect. I am a firm beleiver in starting slow and controlled to see what level your at before going nuts

Excersies are 3 sets a peice, with the goal of 8-12 reps per set. Time off between sets should be kepty to a minimum.

I would work it something like this ( check out bodybuilding.com for vidoes and diagrams on proper lifting and form if you are unfamilier with anything, it may save your ass form an injury)

Monday Chest and Triceps

Focus on compound excersies ( bench press) and finish with smaller weights and keep your contractions peaked. Always start with the larger bodypart ( chest) and finish with triceps. You should get a hell of a burn as you will be pre-exhausting your triceps by doing chest first

Go for 3 differant excersises for chest after your wamrup, I would reccamend Bench, Incline, and flies to start. You can add another round of chest when you become accustomed to this routine

Likewise do 3 differant excersies for triceps, I would do skull crushers, push downs or dips, fdollowed by kickbacks.

Tuesday

Back and Biceps

Again, start with back and finsih with biceps. ( your biceps will ache due to the same pre-exhaust as your chest/tris combo)

3 excersises( after warmup) Cable rows, lat pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns

3 for biceps as well - Standing curls ( with wither bar or barbells, and be sure to extend ALL THE WAY DOWN) reverse grip curls, hammer curls

Wednesday Off

Thursday

Legs

5 Excersies

Squats, kickups, hamstring curls, and 2 sets of calve excersies. I would start out on the smith machine before migrating to freew eight for squats, it is very easy to pull your back if you are unfamilier with squatting

Friday

Shoulders

3 Excersises

Military press, shoulder raises, and the rear delt machine

You would obviously need cardio here as well, I have a routine with the same basic layout as this, albeit with more excersies. I would aim for half an hour at the end of every training day, preferably on the eliptical as it will be easy on your knees, and because it burns the most calories ( as does the stair climber)

Your diet would be a whole other monster. Cutting up is like %90 diet, so if you drop me a pm, I will gladly get more in depth with the help.

What are your goals?

Probably being in the range of 160-165, moderate definition. Any more than that requires a closet upheaval. Wouldn't mind my arms being about two inches bigger, and if I could shave an inch of the thighs that'd be great. I can't imagine being any bigger than 40" in the chest, my waist is already sitting at 30". Is that the kind of answer you're looking for?

I feel like it'd be easier to find a picture to say "I want that".

Excellent book Sonic ^

That is always on my nightstand, its a great read for a beginner or a gym junkie

The guy was the biggest Mofo at the time, I was always more of a Frank Zane fan though.

Not knocking Arnie, Zanes proportions were perfection, and so was his posing technique. he was never huge per-se, but he always looked balanced and shredded

And this was before the combo of GH and insulin was widely used in every pros toolkit

Probably being in the range of 160-165, moderate definition. Any more than that requires a closet upheaval. Wouldn't mind my arms being about two inches bigger, and if I could shave an inch of the thighs that'd be great. I can't imagine being any bigger than 40" in the chest, my waist is already sitting at 30". Is that the kind of answer you're looking for?

I feel like it'd be easier to find a picture to say "I want that".

Haha well how long have you been working out?

I really like this one method to get massive gains quickly. I've known a bunch of people that have used it and they grew a ton, while getting the intense workout they love.

Whenever I'm on this workout I always get "huge" size gains myself.

But don't do this if youre a beginner....

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_shotgun_method

I was originally planning to do 6 (2 chest, 2 back, 2 abs).

I could only do 3.

(2 chest, 1 back). my arms felt like they were going to come off.

Whoa thats too much.

Try something like....

Monday

-Neck Press

-Cable Rows

-Incline Curls

-Dips

Tuesday

-Upright Barbell Rows

-Back Squats

-Machine Calf Raises

Wed

Off

Thu

-Same format as Monday, swap exercises

Fri

-Same format as Tuesday, swap exercises

As for ab work, stick to just tensing them while doing other compound movements. Skip ab work right now, if youre doing 8x8, HIIT, and CKD you'll have crazy abs as long as you contract them enough during your workouts.

so, this may seem like a stupid question, but what does eating unhealthy actually do?

say i eat a bunch of cookies everyday, is muscle growth going to be hindered? or does it just cause more fat/etc.?

If you're trying to get cut (low carb days for instance) then yes, it will hinder your results.

But if you're just gaining muscle, eating 90-95% healthy and having a cheat food or two a day isn't going to kill you.

Whoa thats too much.

Try something like....

Monday

-Neck Press

-Cable Rows

-Incline Curls

-Dips

Tuesday

-Upright Barbell Rows

-Back Squats

-Machine Calf Raises

Wed

Off

Thu

-Same format as Monday, swap exercises

Fri

-Same format as Tuesday, swap exercises

As for ab work, stick to just tensing them while doing other compound movements. Skip ab work right now, if youre doing 8x8, HIIT, and CKD you'll have crazy abs as long as you contract them enough during your workouts.

What exactly, is a neck press?

And the format (to be safe) is

mon

whatever neck press is

back

arms

chest

tues

shoulders

quads

calfs

or am I getting that wrong?

What exactly, is a neck press?

And the format (to be safe) is

mon

whatever neck press is

back

arms

chest

tues

shoulders

quads

calfs

or am I getting that wrong?

Sorry, neck press is a "bodybuilders" bench press....not to be done if you have bad shoulders, but gives a larger range of motion, and targets the upper chest more (which gives a more pleasing aesthetic than having a big middle chest)

^Video there...

Mon

-chest

-back

-bi

-tri

Tues

-delt

-quads

-calves