supermeatheads

kunk75

Just got to work out with a friend (Jason Manenkoff) today at his gym (Iron Arena).

Great stuff. Dude competes in the 165-pound class and is a benching monster. He's ranked 3rd in the U.S. for 165 raw bench at the moment - I think a 385-395 in competition. He's also got a strong deadlift and squat too. 540 deadlift in competition (550+ deadlift training). Easy 405 squat in training too - he's only seriously been squatting for about 6 months or so (on and off here and there before that).

Having him egg me on made me pull a 505x3 today. Not bad. Then pulled 405x12 and then 365 and 315 for about 10 each.

My back is torched.

I'm thankful to have so many elite level powerlifters to talk to if I need help.

Edited by mrchariybrown

Due to having a cold and deciding to do 2 hours of BJJ the same day, I was absolutely dead the next day after CF. It was a gymnastics WOD, I was able to do all of the exercises, but not for very long, so that meant it couldn't be pushed as hard as possible. Those O-Rings are very awkward beasts! Going to try another class tomorrow, hoping it's some olympic lifts this time.

just got back into working out. i used to work out about 4 times a week maybe 5 years ago. only been back at it for a month.

stats:

138lbs

5'6''

deadlift 305x3

front squat 205x5x5

power clean 185x3

power snatch 135

over head squat 135x5

bench 185x5x5

squat 225x5x5

i feel pretty strong for my size

feel? you are STRONG man

ya man, thats great, 138 benching 185.

I did hear though something a while ago (which seems fairly obvious), but those who are shorter 5 9 and smaller should be better at weight lifting, specifically the bench press, simply because they have a smaller wingspan and less distance to travel. Im 6 foot 147lbs and have never really progressed further then benching 45s (120lbs?). I have since slowed down, but still go once and a while.

Yup genetics is no excuse. Most important is to be consistent with your program.

Judge my stats:

1.78m @ 72 kg, 9.5% bf with calipers

DL = 130 kg 1x3

Squat = 110kg 1x3

Bench = 75kg 1x3

100m = 0:11:80

400M = 0:56:60

Vert = 29"

I'm currently doing Wendler 5/3/1 + Vertical jump bible strength/reactive program. Is it too much? Goals are to get my vert to >34 and squat 2.5 plates for 5 reps, while maintaining weight and bf.

My power cleans suck, horrible form and doing only 55 kg for reps.

Edited by DJ_Flame

just to be clear, i was simply pointing out a fact, not using anything as an excuse.

I don't think anyone's putting blame on you or anything (I'm not). I think it's just something a lot of us shorter & stronger guys hear.

6' is a good frame to start with. Start Eating.

ya man, thats great, 138 benching 185.

I did hear though something a while ago (which seems fairly obvious), but those who are shorter 5 9 and smaller should be better at weight lifting, specifically the bench press, simply because they have a smaller wingspan and less distance to travel. Im 6 foot 147lbs and have never really progressed further then benching 45s (120lbs?). I have since slowed down, but still go once and a while.

45s plus an oly bar should be 135lbs i think?

Any supermeatheads in NYC? I've got a one-week trial membership at Equinox to give away, good til 10/31! :)

Give to me :)

Edit: Actually, come to think of it. It would be a waste on me since I would only use it for one day (two days tops).

Edited by mrchariybrown

So what I've discovered most from crossfit so far, is how bad I am at skipping. Managed to do 4 sets of 10 reps on handstand pushups today though as part of the WOD, which I'm very happy with.

Skipping, as in the double under with jump ropes? Yeah, it's tough, but a technique move that gets better with practice.

Nice work on those HSPUs, though. I think those are real strength builders.

Week 2 5/3/1 highlights

Squatted 280x7

Pulled 290x8

Thinking about dropping my bench day and just making it a snatch clean and jerk day. I really just don't like benching anymore. Love me some standing presses though.

My front squat needs more work stuck at 235 right now. Think I'll start hitting the front squat 2 times a week instead of one time and throw in some more core work

Edited by Alex3000

oh don't i know it, i don't think i've missed a day in months now. i'm going to check out this $$fancy 24hr$$ gym thats nowhere near my house tomorrow, just because they have mats and bumper plates. there is also a group that meets there to do olympic lifts, so if i can afford to sign up i might finally be able to learn some shit :D

Yeah I think your situation is mainly the fact that 80kg isn't a lot (sorry) and you were just starting to reach your true potential (yay!).

Always lots of different ways to get stronger there. I like doing a different squat for max effort once a week. I through a few months back and cycled DL, Back squat, front squat, and overhead squat while bringing the reps down each wk. By the end, my FS increased 20lbs (to 295). This was after being stuck at 275 for at least a year.

But yes, there are many ways to get stronger. Consistency happens to be the first step in all of them, though.

There is no best way for every single person but I feel the very good way for most guys is just a simple linear periodization and pounding assistance work for sticking points and size.

Basically keeping it simple, consistency, and, most importantly, just busting your ass under the bar.

i'm going to start doing front squats, every time i go, but fairly light just go get the movement down. i've also been doing m/w/f strictly(before it was every other day, so i wouldn't get 2x rest days ever) and the extra rest after heavy leg/back stuff has helped too.

i'm going to start doing front squats, every time i go, but fairly light just go get the movement down. i've also been doing m/w/f strictly(before it was every other day, so i wouldn't get 2x rest days ever) and the extra rest after heavy leg/back stuff has helped too.

Just front squatted today. Starting light and focusing on form is a good idea. There are a lot of things to think about while doing this lift (elbows up, back straight, heels into the ground, etc). Like I said earlier, though, I think it's really good to vary the squat movements that you work on. A strong back squat will still make you strong in FS and DL as long as you're doing them all.

yeah i did some yesterday, they went pretty well. did a couple sets at 95lbs and i can definitely go much heavier next time. got the school coach to watch my form and he said it was killer except i was going too low (lol) and my knees turned in at one point which was bad.