supermeatheads

kunk75

• 2 weeks later...

maximize your muscle tension when you do a pullup/press; flex every muscle possible from your feet to your head: touch shoulder blades together, pull elbows downward, flex your abs, squeeze your glutes, straighten your legs, flex ankles upward, grip as hard as you can, etc. you will lift more if you tense up right before you do the pullup/press.

Have you ever done kipping pullups? They're more of a gymnastics move where you use your core an momentum to help you up.

The reason I ask is because these can be helpful when you do very high volume (total of 50-100 in a workout). You will completely exhaust your lats and then when you go back to strict pullups, you won't get fatigued as soon.

At least that's how it's been for me. I can do about 50 kipping pullups in a row and 15-20 strict. But if I only focused on strict, I think I'd get tired sooner.

Just a quick word of caution re: following along with the main Crossfit site. Make sure you have someone help you out with your form before you start going crazy with all the Olympic style moves. I didn't and while I was loving Crossfit for the first 3/4 months, I ended up hurting myself and having to take considerable time off from the gym. Sucked.

^on that note, anybody know good books/videos that teach O-lifts? right now i'm just reading a bunch of articles on T-nation and Dan John's website and watching Tommy Konno videos on youtube. i really want to get into this more but i can't afford a coach at the moment... gonna try to work on my form for the next few months.

No early age would help me lift that much. That's solid

As for rings, I love em. I've used them from things like pullups, dips, and muscle ups. the dips are like 3 times harder than regular parallel bar dips. To buy them, just google them. I started w/ some cheap ($30) plastic rings. recently, our gym bought some pretty expensive ones from Rogue.

i guess you really have to be coached from your early teens to get on that level even if you have the genes for it...

on a related i thought this was pretty awesome

i don't know if he himself trained using the Bulgarian method when he was lifting, but i would have thought his joints would have burned out by now. his movements still look silky smooth for his age!

oh snap. yeah you're just starting to hit it. to me, 5'10 210 is a pretty good frame to build muscle on.

If you work it right, you can be well over 300. I feel like it's a fight to get to 250, 285, and 300. at least that's how it was for me.

All bets are off at 300, though. haha

Why not go to a 24 Hour Super Sport?

Check out Crunch in Serramanila. I know, it's Crunch, but it's a pretty amazing looking gym. From what I've seen, it's never busy, multiples of each machine/equipment, and you can get your fill of Filipinos on a Daly (GET IT?!) Only drawback being, it's mall hours (I'm pretty sure.) So you might wanna make sure it fits in your schedule.

Where are you located?

okay so who goes to the 24hrs in paseo padre :unsure:

also, anyone notice mold in their facilities? How do i call management out on this. a bit scary when someone pointed it out to me the other day. corner of ceilings are very black and spotty like...

sure it is not paint job? fuck

Yeah. check into the Inzer wrist wraps. not too cheap and make you feel confident.

second this, although the velcro started to wear off after about 6 months

My wrist pain came from having a weak grip. In turn, came tendonitis. (Left arm.)

I've since been training my grip and I've no longer had any wrist pains of any sort. Tendonitis, on the other hand, I'm still dealing with.

what're you using for grip training? I just started using Captains of Crush and they're pretty intense.

looking to improve my pull-up strength and overhead press, which assistance exercises do you guys use for these? i'm using pull-up negatives and db shoulder presses right now. just wondering if there are more effective exercises i should be doing.

definitely go with weighted, dead hang pullups. Find an amount you can comfortable get 6 reps with, then rest for atleast 2 minutes. You should be able to get 4-5 sets with the same weight and relatively same difficulty every time. Your pull up numbers will go up.

Have you ever done kipping pullups? They're more of a gymnastics move where you use your core an momentum to help you up.

The reason I ask is because these can be helpful when you do very high volume (total of 50-100 in a workout). You will completely exhaust your lats and then when you go back to strict pullups, you won't get fatigued as soon.

At least that's how it's been for me. I can do about 50 kipping pullups in a row and 15-20 strict. But if I only focused on strict, I think I'd get tired sooner.

kipping pull-ups are a joke, man. drop em!

Sucks about your wraps. I bought mine in 2005 and they're still great.

Kipping pullups are actually not a joke. I pretty descriptively said exactly what they're used for (conditioning).

what are your #s? (This isn't some macho question. Since it's the weights board, I'm curious)