supermeatheads

kunk75

Are there distinct benefits to powerlifting (heavy weights, low reps) vs. what I'll term 'regular weight training' (lower weights, higher reps)? It seems like a lot of you are focused on the former.

My apologies if this has been touched upon already.

Fast twitch fibers grow from heavy weight training.

I don't know many people that train pure powerlifting, because heavy weights higher reps will cause the most growth (I'm looking at chairy and the rest of the people that do DC training) and most people weight train to get bigger and look better.

Fast twitch fibers grow from heavy weight training.

I don't know many people that train pure powerlifting, because heavy weights higher reps will cause the most growth (I'm looking at chairy and the rest of the people that do DC training) and most people weight train to get bigger and look better.

That's pretty relative, isn't it? For one person, deadlifting sets of 315 isn't a big deal and won't cause as much growth as 405 sets. For another person, that 315 is pretty heavy and they can only do it a few times.

Personally, I think most strength gains come from correctly adjusting workouts to your 1RM on certain lifts. Then do straight sets for auxiliary muscles.

I didn't do DC because I want to get bigger. I did it because I had to give my weathered joints another break from all that powerbuilding. you've got to realize that I got back into lifting heavy and building up my b/s/d only a few months ago. in that few months I've put 100+ pounds on squat and deadlift. that calls for very unhappy knees, back, elbows. everyone needs a break from heavy weights here and there.

just had a look at some of my own photos on facebook.

cant believe what I looked like. i know I had lost weight but i was fatttttt

BMI close to 30>>> nearly-there-6pack in less than 10months

old pics keeps me motivated

+seeing overweight people mad awkward on public transport

+beautiful ladies....on public transport

what keeps you guys motivated?

i enjoy the feeling after a good workout. whether it's lifting or going on a a run it always puts me in a great mood. i stay motivated because i see it as a great challenge to reach greater levels of fitness.

I think this thread needs more images (no homo)

I'll play.

picture taken a few days ago, when I started my new diet plan to drop weight.

before picture, start 190, waist 33", chest 43.5"

startrecomp.jpg

goal: get back down to 183-184, 30.5" waist, 42" chest - by dropping bodyfat and increase lean mass by a pound at least.

I'll update in a month or so.

do IA's SPB routine

" Monday

Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5

Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10

Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6

Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8

Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday

Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8

Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8

Skull Crushers 3 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10

Friday

Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5

Leg press 2 x 10

Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6

Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8

Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday

Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3

Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8

Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8

Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10 Monday "

then repeat starting from the top for wednesday. note that none of the sets should be taken to complete failure.

it's great for beginners, intermediate, and advanced guys. I'm running it right now and have run it in the past.

yes, you can switch certain exercises for similar movements.

don't add more sets than listed nor should you over-complicate the routine.

aleopold - let me know what exercises you need elaboration on. with the exception of glute/ham raises, pullthroughs, and box squats, they all seem to be pretty straightforward exercises.

^^^ can all those exercises be done without machines?

all off them can be done without a machine except the chest-supported rows which you can just just do bentover bb rows instead.

pullthroughs, pulldowns, and tricep pushdowns can't be done if you count a pulley as a machine too. the pullthroughs and pulldowns have substitutes next to them. and for pushdowns, you can just replace them with skullcrushers again or any kind of overhead tricep extension.

aleopold - let me know what exercises you need elaboration on. with the exception of glute/ham raises, pullthroughs, and box squats, they all seem to be pretty straightforward exercises.

all off them can be done without a machine except the chest-supported rows which you can just just do bentover bb rows instead.

pullthroughs, pulldowns, and tricep pushdowns can't be done if you count a pulley as a machine too. the pullthroughs and pulldowns have substitutes next to them. and for pushdowns, you can just replace them with skullcrushers again or any kind of overhead tricep extension.

cheers for that. ive been trying to find a machine-less workout for a while, but im not familiar with all the exercises so i was never too sure. I think I'll give this a try starting tomorrow

do you guys find it beneficial to take photos of yourself for reference?