Selvedge: School me, what is and what's not?

keitai

Hi all,

Please, school me on the selvedge denim subject. What is it? (yep, read the wiki) When is it fake? Which brands are the best at the moment (beginning to like PRPS)

What's up with the no cleaning policy

kind regards

selvedge

One entry found.

selvage

Main Entry: sel·vage audio.gif Variant(s): or sel·vedge audio.gif \ˈsel-vij\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English selfegge, selvage, from self self + egge edge (after Middle Dutch selfegghe) Date: 15th century 1 a: the edge on either side of a woven or flat-knitted fabric so finished as to prevent raveling; specifically : a narrow border often of different or heavier threads than the fabric and sometimes in a different weave b: an edge (as of fabric or paper) meant to be cut off and discarded2: an outer or peripheral part : border, edge

— sel·vaged or sel·vedged audio.gif \-vijd\ adjective

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/selvedge

it's simple--

this is selvage:

27478.jpg

this is not selvage:

notselvagevv5.jpg

a lot of denim companies have tried their hand at faking selvage past and present. the way to tell the difference is the ends of the denim are composed of a distinct different fabric than the denim itself. just because there's a vertical backstitch up the outseam doesn't mean that it's selvage denim.

This is fake selvedge.

a251_1.JPG

lee.jpg

I don't really think the first pic is fake selvedge although it does look a bit awkward. The ends are closed on themselves the same way traditional selvedge is. The second pic is considered by some as selvedge, but I wouldn't consider is selvedge due to the fact that it is open ended, whereas traditional selvedge is sewn over itself as in the first pic.

Guest kyotousa
first pic is not "fake selvage" it is just cloth made to look like selvage sewn over the raw cut edge of the fabric for a clean turnup.

what?? if it's sewn up what makes it real selvage?

fake selvage is like fake louis bags. once youve been to the LV store, the dudes on canal st. cant fool you...

Yeah, but they still both look like shit.