Selvedge Jeans...Which BRAND should I get?

bathe my ape

Quote:

It's not a game you bitch.

--- Original message by high_contrast on Oct 10, 2005 11:51 AM

this aint a game son, people die for this shit. better check your self holmes before you get stabbed wearing the wrong flags! crip walkin in the wrong hood.icon_smile_angry.gif

Edited by soleindahole on Oct 10, 2005 at 07:47 PM

Edited by soleindahole on Oct 10, 2005 at 07:47 PM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Quote:

If you're not a denim snob and only buy for the name, then listen to this board.

if you care how you look in your jeans, go to a damn store and try them on. There is no better than the other jean in my opinion, only when it comes to how it looks on your body. I like a low rise, boot cut, loose thigh area and zip fly, and for me nothing gets better than lucky jeans. I like nudie RR's but they aren't cut how I like and make my ankles look stupid, apc is just junk in my opinion, and sugarcanes are lvc ripoffs, so just buy some vintage levis.

honestly, just go to a few stores and try stuff on, you'll be suprised. bring a girl, she's more help than any dude on a forum.

what it boils down to is I want women to notice me, not guys who hang out on superfuture.

QFT

I think that many ST'ers buy the stuff that the OG'ers endorse and say is dope thus I can see a mild relationship to the whole Dunk scene with all this selvage brand hyping. Good post but I disagree about the dressing for women thing/ wearing what makes you look good; I'd rather wear shit that I feel comfortable with on a particular day.

Edited by super on Oct 10, 2005 at 05:02 PM

--- Original message by super on Oct 10, 2005 05:01 PM

I will address this post and hopefully cover all the comments made, since I'm not the majority here I know this will fall on a lot of deaf ears.

1) I don't care WHO makes WHAT. I rock what I LIKE, with no care as to what brand or style it is. Today i was wearing a 3 dollar froot of the loom tee with nudie rr's and some doc martin clogs. I don't care what you think or how you feel about it, it is exactly me today. If you don't know about premium lucky, you better find out. there is a reason they are popular, they are cut well and aside from the ones you find in the mall, are great denim. Same as the cheap LEVI 501 and the LVC collection.. HUGE difference.

2) APC is a good quality jean. They are a great product and wonderful for the average joe consumer. I, however, care about fit and appearance. APC lack in the fit category, every pair I try on have variables in their cut, they are not a "flattering" jean in the least, and overall are unappealing to anyone who doesn't want the tube leg, baggy pant, or so tight i can't breathe look with no ass. I like the denim, great stuff, but not what I'm looking for. Give me some well cut sevens over APC any day.

3) my sugarcane comment was half-hearted. I can't really tell a difference in them other than badging and mild variables in the denim from the LVC collection. This is a good and bad thing. good because it's an alternative, bad because it's a clone of something someone is already doing, and originated it. sugarcane makes good stuff, if you like it, buy it, but for me, again, i'd rather go with the o.g. why buy a swatch when rolex has been doing it so well for so long...

anyone who hates on a brand due to availability or consumer market, you're comments are pointless. You're the same kids buying up all the brands everyone told you is coming up big, and frankly you ARE the blow-up. Get off the jock.

*edit* and for what it's worth, I've gotten more comments on a pair of vintage wranglers I own than any other jean in my closet.. second being a pair of lucky fender boot cuts. only people who ever say anything about my nudies, acnes, prps, apcs, or LVC's are other guys. and that's only to ask where they can get them because they heard so many good things about them..

Edited by SongAngel on Oct 10, 2005 at 09:51 PM

I don't agree or disagree.

The fact that he's asking what brand is what gets me. He should go try the pants on his body. then he'd know what brand is best by what he likes, not what kids on an internet forum like. there is a huge difference between likeing what you hear about something and wearing it on your body 2 or 3 days a week.

SongAngel, I agree with your original point, which is that the best jeans are the ones that look and feel best on you.

I think you kind of ruined your own argument, or at least muddied it, with some of your other remarks.

APC jeans may not fit flatteringly on you, but that does not make them junk to anyone but you.

You may not be able to tell a difference between Sugarcane or LVC, but again, that's just you.

Given the general tone of this board it really sounds like you're trying to kick up some dust.

I can honestly say that women consistently compliment me on my APCs and Nudies, which fit me more flatteringly than most other brands I have worn. I have gotten compliments on Lucky Brand as well, which goes back to your original point - it's how the jeans fit the individual.

That being said, there are very knowledgeable denimheads in this forum, so to write it all off as "a bunch of kids on the internet" - of which you are one? just undermines your position.

[/soapbox]

ask a cassowary

Edited by tangerine on Oct 10, 2005 at 10:33 PM

Quote:

SongAngel, I agree with your original point, which is that the best jeans are the ones that look and feel best on you.

I think you kind of ruined your own argument, or at least muddied it, with some of your other remarks.

APC jeans may not fit flatteringly on you, but that does not make them junk to anyone but you.

You may not be able to tell a difference between Sugarcane or LVC, but again, that's just you.

Given the general tone of this board it really sounds like you're trying to kick up some dust.

I can honestly say that women consistently compliment me on my APCs and Nudies, which fit me more flatteringly than most other brands I have worn. I have gotten compliments on Lucky Brand as well, which goes back to your original point - it's how the jeans fit the individual.

That being said, there are very knowledgeable denimheads in this forum, so to write it all off as "a bunch of kids on the internet" - of which you are one? just undermines your position.

[/soapbox]

--- Original message by tangerine on Oct 10, 2005 10:31 PM

you got my vote.

Dude, like others have said, you've gotta try them on yourself. No-one else can tell you whether a 33-style pant, or a boot-cut, or a 47-style straight leg will be what you like!

BTW, if you're looking at Levi's, 1933-style jeans have cinch backs, and are a much looser cut. 1947-style 501s are a much slimmer fit. And by all means buy your jeans distressed if that turns you on... but bear in mind that decent distressed jeans will cost more, because of all the work it takes, and they won't last as long. If you're starting out, maybe have a look at the LVC (LEvi's vintage collection) at levis.com - that should give you some idea of what all the different 501s look like.

Quote:

[/soapbox]

--- Original message by tangerine on Oct 10, 2005 10:31 PM

I didn't loose any part of my point. it all holds true.

here, I'll bulletpoint it for those who can't seem to catch what I'm saying.

1) apc is ok but don't expect anything spectuacular from them. if they weren't selvedge they woudn't be worth the breath.

2) sugarcanes... whatever.

3) since ringring left this forum went to heck. that's the truth and NOONE has ANYTHING on that.

4) i say a bunch of kids with the mindset that who cares who we are. honestly i'd say 75 percent of this forum is now from niketalk and between the ages of 15 and 20. For all you know I'm a well spoken 12 year old. Again, I'm an advocate for not letting the internet run my life or how/why I do things. I come here to share info on things I enjoy. The only reason I posted in this thread was so this kid didn't buy hyped selvedge cloth that is ALL READY going out of style, and end up with 200 dollar jeans he/she can't wear or doesn't enjoy wearing.

Damn, this shit is bananas. Crazy thing is, on most days I reach for either a pair of basic 501's, under $50, or my vintage button fly Double RL's which I snagged on the web for sale for $79. I love that Double RL denim. From my persepctive, just walking around town, seeing what guys are wearing in the jean department, and what they're wearing, for a whole lot more money, cannot touch my Double RL. If I have one complaint, one single thing I would change, it would be that they come in a darker wash. But whatever. They are slim cut, fall sweetly at the bottom, which makes them look tight as a motherfucker all bunched around my Lucchese black cherry roper boot. And the other thing- I don't see them walking down the street on everybody else. And that is a good thing. Look, like the man said above, he's not interested in having a bunch'a guys check out his ass. He's dressing for comfort and for the ladies. Most guys aren't walking around saying, "I'm wearing selvedge, I'm wearing selvedge." icon_smile_wink.gif, or checking out the tag on another guy's ass. Bananas.

And then there is the other aspect to all this which everyone dances around out here. The fact that refuses to be named. And that is, that most straight guys would react with stunned silence if they were to be asked if they would ever drop $400 on a pair of g'damn jeans. They'd be all like, "What the fuck is wrong with you? Have you completely lost your mind, my brother?" (Some guy out here got all twisted on me because I suggested there was something inherently fucked up about spending several hundred dollars on jeans.) But, safe to say, on these boards when I read guys talking about Dior jeans, well, it may be safely assumed that fellow is very very interested in having guys check out his ass. He is probably gay (or twenty years old and still manufacturing a personality). I mean, really now. It's like carrying a Prada messenger bag. Straight men do not sport such an item. It's a sign. A signal. An indication of one's sexual persuasion. This shit is quite comical. I for one find SongAngel's posts to be refreshing.

Damn, this shit is bananas. Crazy thing is, on most days I reach for either a pair of basic 501's, under $50, or my vintage button fly Double RL's which I snagged on the web for sale for $79. I love that Double RL denim. From my persepctive, just walking around town, seeing what guys are wearing in the jean department, and what they're wearing, for a whole lot more money, cannot touch my Double RL. If I have one complaint, one single thing I would change, it would be that they come in a darker wash. But whatever. They are slim cut, fall sweetly at the bottom, which makes them look tight as a motherfucker all bunched around my Lucchese black cherry roper boot. And the other thing- I don't see them walking down the street on everybody else. And that is a good thing. Look, like the man said above, he's not interested in having a bunch'a guys check out his ass. He's dressing for comfort and for the ladies. Most guys aren't walking around saying, "I'm wearing selvedge, I'm wearing selvedge." icon_smile_wink.gif, or checking out the tag on another guy's ass. Bananas.

And then there is the other aspect to all this which everyone dances around out here. The fact that refuses to be named. And that is, that most straight guys would react with stunned silence if they were to be asked if they would ever drop $400 on a pair of g'damn jeans. They'd be all like, "What the fuck is wrong with you? Have you completely lost your mind, my brother?" (Some guy out here got all twisted on me because I suggested there was something inherently fucked up about spending several hundred dollars on jeans.) But, safe to say, on these boards when I read guys talking about Dior jeans, well, it may be safely assumed that fellow is very very interested in having guys check out his ass. He is probably gay (or twenty years old and still manufacturing a personality). I mean, really now. It's like carrying a Prada messenger bag. Straight men do not sport such an item. It's a sign. A signal. An indication of one's sexual persuasion. This shit is quite comical. I for one find SongAngel's posts to be refreshing.

I'm ninety-three, you're sixteen. There is nothing more for you and I.

You know, Ninja. And it's not like I'm trying to hate up in here. I'm just saying what I believe is a straight-up fact. Yet one which no one wants to acknowledge. Shit, I've polled guys on this and so I know this is true. And, yes, gay men were included in my very random sampling. One gay man, who does spend money on clothes, said "Fuck no!" to dropping that kind of cash on jeans. He said Levis fit his ass just fine, thank you. He did volunteer he might consider dropping two hundred on jeans, but four or six hundred! even, "Fuck no!" I'm glad you appreciate what I'm saying, Ninja.

"But, safe to say, on these boards when I read guys talking about Dior jeans, well, it may be safely assumed that fellow is very very interested in having guys check out his ass. He is probably gay "

No, it's not safe to say, it's pathetic. Who gives a fuck if he's gay? It's not necessarily you, but it always makes me laugh when people on these boards worry that people might think they're "a bit homo". It was probably someone 'a bit homo' who created the style that you/me/anyone else is trying to emulate, even if they're not conscious of the fact.

Good post Paul. This forum needs less of the narrow-mindedness that can often be found in Denimheadcase's posts. Really DH, you comment on the femininity of Dior's stuff and the sexual orientation of the brands buyers, but you don't exactly act like a man yourself, you go on and on about your stuff and how what you have is the right thing to buy, like a stuck up kid. I don't mean to insult you, but really, reality check please. Every time I feel that I'm sure about something in the 'world of fashion' I give it another thought and come to my senses again. There is something wrong and something right about every style(you could argue that some are more right than other but that is not the point), please dont knock a certain style, it leads nowhere.

tally-hoo

Sorry, mate, but I stand behind what I've said. A straight man is not going to invest the same energy in pursuit of a pair of jeans retailing for five hundred dollars. Period. All style is but emulation. Adopting elements which have pre-existed. Some will try to personalize the adopting of a particular style, and the more clever among us are fairly good at it. A straight man is only going to go so far in that direction. At a certain point it becomes obsessional. Believe me when I tell you, I know many well-dressed straight men, and they would never consider dropping that kind of cash on jeans. Much less Dior jeans. Much less Prada jeans. Which again brings up branding and who is likey to be the target for such things.

Marlon Brando and James Dean both sported denim, T's and plaid shirts. They weren't trying to emulate a style, it was because they were raised on fucking farms.

Quote: Every time I feel that I'm sure about something in the 'world of fashion' I give it another thought and come to my senses again.

And what kind of surety do you have about dropping upwards of four hundred dollars on jeans? Did you read my post? What I buy is well within limits set. I do not obsess about these things. Do I need to repeat that? I am not the target for Dior jeans. For Prada jeans. You have a problem with that? Why, exactly? Did Ii touch a nerve? You're telling me I'm wrong? I put it to the test. If you had read the post you would've seen that, rather than quickly rearing that high horse you're on. You want to erase all distinction. As if making a distinction is somehow "narrow-minded". In your woefully limited view, then, perhaps it is.