magnolia bakery?

Guest freedomfighter

yeah. too sweet, just doesn't taste good.

i too was disappointed when i first trekked there some years ago.

theres a great little bakery up on east 93rd and 3rd, but thats a fucking hike and i dont remember the name.

or just go to Russ & Daughters.

are there any great bakeries below 40th street?

I know there's a couple in the upper west, but haven't seen any remotely good downtown.

why is this?

Russ & Daughters on Houston st., about a block up before Katz's

good jewish bakery/delicatessen

great stuff there.

a bit pricey, but cheaper than magnolia and well worth it.

Has anybody really looked into the trans fat ban issue destroying bakeries?

OOOOOH THIS ISSUE STEAMS ME. Get this shit,

This trans-fat ban is a farce meant to kill the independent bakeries. Many suspect that supermarkets are behind it. The substitutes aren't bake-worthy and destroy the products. Here's the scam: The Supermarkets are automatically exempt because many of the chains don't make their baked goods within the state that they're sold. The trans-fat ban only applies to products made within the state. The supermarkets can afford to manufacture out of state. It's a loophole. They either maintain or slightly change current operations and then hire professional lobbyists. When the bill is passed, they've destroyed the family and ethnic bakeries and cornered the markets. That's the supermarket strategy. Look at pharmacies...

Baking is chemistry. The supermarkets are sabotaging the bakeries. Do what you can to aid the bakeries in obtaining an exemption to the law that serves to help the supermarkets further monopolize every nook and cranny (pun intended) that they can.

In NY and Cali they're suffering. Philly had to get an exemption. Baltimore is passing the bill next year. Baltimore and Philly have a long, rich history of ethnic European bakeries. Can't let them die. Don't buy baked goods from supermarkets. Support the bakeries or even more culture will be sucked from American cities and replaced by the scum.

Has anybody really looked into the trans fat ban issue destroying bakeries?

OOOOOH THIS ISSUE STEAMS ME. Get this shit,

This trans-fat ban is a farce meant to kill the independent bakeries. Many suspect that supermarkets are behind it. The substitutes aren't bake-worthy and destroy the products. Here's the scam: The Supermarkets are automatically exempt because many of the chains don't make their baked goods within the state that they're sold. The trans-fat ban only applies to products made within the state. The supermarkets can afford to manufacture out of state. It's a loophole. They either maintain or slightly change current operations and then hire professional lobbyists. When the bill is passed, they've destroyed the family and ethnic bakeries and cornered the markets. That's the supermarket strategy. Look at pharmacies...

Baking is chemistry. The supermarkets are sabotaging the bakeries. Do what you can to aid the bakeries in obtaining an exemption to the law that serves to help the supermarkets further monopolize every nook and cranny (pun intended) that they can.

In NY and Cali they're suffering. Philly had to get an exemption. Baltimore is passing the bill next year. Baltimore and Philly have a long, rich history of ethnic European bakeries. Can't let them die. Don't buy baked goods from supermarkets. Support the bakeries or even more culture will be sucked from American cities and replaced by the scum.

The ban in ny only affect artificially made transfats such as hydrogenated palm oil and margarine. Natural transfats such as butter, milk, cheese, and lard are ok to use. So far it hasnt caused many problems in ny other than raising the cost of baked goods(although the rising cost of wheat has more to do with that). Smart bakery owners can use this to their advantage and tout their products as 100% natural and charge a premium.

And most inhouse supermarket baked goods are god awful anyway. Most supermarkets in nyc buy their goods from local bakers such as Grimaldis, Sullivan Street, Black Kat, Eli's, Balthazar cus its cheaper to outsource it then hire bakers.

The ban in ny only affect artificially made transfats such as hydrogenated palm oil and margarine. Natural transfats such as butter, milk, cheese, and lard are ok to use. So far it hasnt caused many problems in ny other than raising the cost of baked goods(although the rising cost of wheat has more to do with that). Smart bakery owners can use this to their advantage and tout their products as 100% natural and charge a premium.

And most inhouse supermarket baked goods are god awful anyway. Most supermarkets in nyc buy their goods from local bakers such as Grimaldis, Sullivan Street, Black Kat, Eli's, Balthazar cus its cheaper to outsource it then hire bakers.

Really...

Because I bake :)

And from what I've heard the NY bakeries are struggling to adapt. There's even a help-line for them because the crisis is so serious now. The irony is that the help-line is run by the lobbyists trying to destroy their business!

See, that's the catch.

You can't make all baked goods with butter. The substitutes aren't compatable with traditional european baked goods and they're too expensive for mom and pop bakeries who charge fair prices. Lard is what was primarily used until the cost skyrocketed and professional lobbyists actually went after it as well a long time ago, at the end of WW2 i believe. Raising the costs was the main objective. You have to buy these supplies in bulk which is easy for the supermarkets. The bakeries suffer when prices are raised because they have to compete with the low prices, adjust very old recipes, change their traditional product (their selling point) completely, lower their quality and increase the prices of the destroyed product to more than the supermarkets charge. If the state would supply the bakeries with a real substitute that would be great. But they're not. They're throwing them make-shift alternatives without research or input and telling them to fend for themselves. It's typical corruption.

Supermarkets are known for this. Monopoly through centralization is their stratagy. It's much akin to the Wallmart stratagy. The price of convenience is a poor product. With the bakeries, they're forcing small bakeries to lower the quality of their product and double their prices. The small bakeries thus lose their interest group and main selling point.

Yeah — disappointing as hell. There was a line when me and my girl went there. Thought it'd be awesome, but turned out not so much.

Try 2 Little Red Hens for your cupcake needs. I highly recommend the Brookly Blackout.

For red velvet (not cupcakes, though) The Cakeman, my girlfriend brought it over one Christmas and they're still asking about it.

Russ & Daughters on Houston st., about a block up before Katz's

good jewish bakery/delicatessen

great stuff there.

a bit pricey, but cheaper than magnolia and well worth it.

they sell cupcakes? I thought it was just kinishes and stuff.

Really...

Because I bake :)

And from what I've heard the NY bakeries are struggling to adapt. There's even a help-line for them because the crisis is so serious now. The irony is that the help-line is run by the lobbyists trying to destroy their business!

It's funny because it doesnt seem to be working. I read an article the other on how supermarkets are a dying breed in NYC due to sales not being in line with rising rents, yet natural food stores like whole foods, and fairway are building new locations. The demand for farmers markets, food co-ops, and natural food stores have gone up with healthier eating habits. I cant remember the last time I stepped into a regular supermarket or bought mass produced food like skippy.

It's funny because it doesnt seem to be working. I read an article the other on how supermarkets are a dying breed in NYC due to sales not being in line with rising rents, yet natural food stores like whole foods, and fairway are building new locations. The demand for farmers markets, food co-ops, and natural food stores have gone up with healthier eating habits. I cant remember the last time I stepped into a regular supermarket or bought mass produced food like skippy.

In the big picture this has not so much to do with pastries and baked goods as a whole and as a form. Pastries are a form unto themselves that require specific methods using specific ingredients often requiring great precision in their application. It's chemistry and aesthetics. Lard is the valid alternative necessary in order to stay true to many areas of baking. They attempted to kill lard first, they told us what was right and took away a personal liberty that is based on an informed decision. That liberty was replaced with partially hydrogenated oils. So there. This was the "healthy" alternative imposed by the distributors upon small local bakeries. If a person didn't know that eating too many pastries would make you sick, then that's the same to me as a person who drank too much and didn't know that they would have liver problems. I don't need my government to nanny me, I need it to provide a fair playing field. If they wanted to provide a viable alternative to partially hydrogenated oils for the good of the people they would work on the solution before they employed a ban that would otherwise certainly destroy local businesses because the alternatives provided don't work and the prices are very, very expensive to buy in bulk far too expensive for most independent bakeries. An alternative is needed. What is not needed is just another well-intentioned public concern manipulated into another highly organized big business monopoly conspiracy that slams small business people to corner the market unfairly. We hire our representatives to plan ahead for our welfare. Unless of course they're either trying to destroy local businesses or too stupid to see the disastrous effects of their chosen course of action.

If this does in fact have nothing to do with an organized business conspiracy than it is just another confused crusade to apply a well intentioned end regardless of its highly illogical means. In that case, Bad show. Bad execution. Disaster. Utter failure.

. We hire our representatives to plan ahead for our welfare. Unless of course they're either trying to destroy local businesses or too stupid to see the disastrous effects of their chosen course of action.

It's more of the the latter

well whole foods and natural markets charge a butt load for "organic" goods....$5 for a dozen eggs? $6 for milk? but if the economic environment doesnt improve or find soemthing to give it a boost (ala internet stocks or housing prices) organic food sales will suffer cause people arent going to cut back on food but they will cut back on "pricier" versions.....

well whole foods and natural markets charge a butt load for "organic" goods....$5 for a dozen eggs? $6 for milk? but if the economic environment doesnt improve or find soemthing to give it a boost (ala internet stocks or housing prices) organic food sales will suffer cause people arent going to cut back on food but they will cut back on "pricier" versions.....

Food prices in general have gone up across the board because of fuel prices, energy costs, weather conditions, hunting restrictions, etc. But yeah whole foods is a ripoff. The other day red snapper was like 12.99 a lb at whole foods, Balduccis wanted 18.99, while fairway charged 7.99 a lb. Thank god we live in a city with cheaper options like Fairway, Har Ah Reum, and Trader Joes.

Food prices in general have gone up across the board because of fuel prices, energy costs, weather conditions, hunting restrictions, etc. But yeah whole foods is a ripoff. The other day red snapper was like 12.99 a lb at whole foods, Balduccis wanted 18.99, while fairway charged 7.99 a lb. Thank god we live in a city with cheaper options like Fairway, Har Ah Reum, and Trader Joes.

These are both very good points. Let's thank Odin that we don't live in Egypt right now...