denim on denim

the black arm

not sure if this has been addressed in other posts . .but what's everyone's take on wearing denim on denim . .ie. wearing denim jeans and denim jacket at the same time . . . I've been taught my entire life its a no go, but i'm starting to kind of like the look esp with raw denim and none trucker-style denim jackets.

From the way we talk here, I'd be surprised to think that any other pants exist other than denim.

LOL

Kidding - I agree that denim jackets can be paired w/ other pants but then it all depends on what look you're going for.

I've seen denim jackets paired w/ flat-front wool pants and a shirt (with or without tie) for a casual friday look.

Alternatively, if you're just chilling, i see nothing wrong with a tshirt, jeans and denim jacket.

i absolutely despise denim jackets period. i had one when i was like 2 or 3 and never got another one again. i cant say my mind wont change when different things come around... but theres not many around now that i even remotely like. just somehting about them piss me off. however, some people ive seen pull em off so i dunno.

can't say I disagree with you guys, i've always been anti the full cowboy costume look . . .

however lately i've been thinking it might work with a white t shit, raw denim and a jacket like the levis 507 etc. or classic type one in this style . . . its a very thin line

brlevijkt.jpg

Edited by the black arm on Sep 27, 2005 at 01:46 PM

i have a raw evisu version of the type 1 jacket, without any overt branding. normally, i try to stay away from the monochromatic look...but the exception is when i wear this jacket with a pair of unwashed dry jeans. most of the time, this wasn't done intentionally...but then again, i do wear jeans most of the time.

i'm comfortable with what i wear. with those who know me, they know my taste and can appreciate my appreciation for denim. for those strangers...let them think what they think. i could give half a rat's arse about their opinion on my denim suit icon_smile_big.gif

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:

It's only an isssue if the person concerned is wearing shit jeans and/or a shit jacket. Exact matching of shades is risky territory but can still totally be carried off. Think 80s UK skin or 50s US greaser more than cowboy.

--- Original message by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Sep 27, 2005 02:25 PM

exactly. here's a man that knows some shit

Denim jackets rock. Wearing them with jeans, regardless of shade, is totally fine. I can remember a time when I'd look at French kids in matching jackets and jeans with their student backpacks on and cringe... but that's not the look I rock when I have my jacket and jeans on.

I still endure the occasional "Texas Tuxedo" joke from my co-worker when I have the two on together... but he's from Canada... so what does he know?

I'm waiting for an Atelier Ladurance Royal jacket... which I have every intention of wearing with my Nudie RRDS. Maybe I'll revive this thread with some pics when it shows up.

Good question. Totally depends on how you pull it off. I have a denim jacket (lined with berber fleece, no less). It has a dark, almost black, wash. And I honestly can't think of anything else to wear with it other than similarly dark jeans? Black pants, chinos?

The thing is, it could be disastrous if done the wrong way. Or if the jacket and jeans are shit themselves. Basically what I'm saying is if the outfit itself looks fine, don't sweat it.

On second thought, I don't even think the wranglers and jean jacket look is bad when ranchers and country folk wear it. (Obviously they aren't just trying to pose for the ladies, they actually get some practical use out of their clothes)

I guess I have some bad images in my mind when I think of matching the two, but in reality it's not bad at all.

cant take a self-pic til the weekend when the gf comes over, but here's a classic image of Mr. Eddie Cochran himself, wearing denim jacket/jeans/boots the way it should be done. this is def a specific style so if you're not wasting time arguing over who's better, Gene, Eddie, or Johnny B., then maybe denim/denim isnt the look for you.

eddiecochran9ar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...