Whisky love

teome

where is a good starting point for single malt scotches? something not too complicated, that a novice drinker with unrefined taste-buds such as myself can get into?.

I think Macallan 12 is a good starter for scotch. it's pretty light, widely available, and not too expensive. bruichladdich (sp?) is also a nice introduction, although it is much sweeter than Macallan. If you want to venture a little further into the bog then i highly recommend caol ila. it is a very well balanced, medium-peat scotch. if you want to shove your face in a campfire then of course you have to try lagavulin and laphroig. I prefer laphroig a little bit more - more iodine and sea flavors while the lagavulin is oilier in your mouth.

as far as bourbons are concerned - really enjoy bookers (cask-strength) watered down a little. also from memory the jim beam small batch was quite good.

and maker's mark is a fail-safe. not brilliant, but smooth, easy to drink and tasty

if you like smooth, easy to drink bourbons you should check out elmer lee. its great.

I'll second the Elmer T. Lee recommendation. I've only had it once, but it was quite enjoyable. Also made at the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

honestly, i have never had anything bad from buffalo trace. even their "basic" buffalo trace label is great. even though blanton's is way over priced, i still really enjoy it.

Buffalo Trace is the "well" whiskey around my house. It's the basic go-to for me. Love the stuff.

I love my whiskey, here's some of the bottles I've collected over the years. I'll post up about my faves later as I'm in a rush but my all time great is the Glenrothes (any vintage) and Aberlour A'bunadh

c40723d0.jpg

b9b86334.jpg

39d370a6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Last night I had a few drinks of this on my porch.

laphroaig.jpg

I'm a gin drinker. When I have a whiskey, I usually opt for a bourbon. However, this angry scotch, here, could very well have changed a lot of things. It smells like smoke. I could still smell it on the glass this morning. Too strong for a quick session, perfect for sipping and sipping and sipping all night long.

Last night I had a few drinks of this on my porch.

laphroaig.jpg

I'm a gin drinker. When I have a whiskey, I usually opt for a bourbon. However, this angry scotch, here, could very well have changed a lot of things. It smells like smoke. I could still smell it on the glass this morning. Too strong for a quick session, perfect for sipping and sipping and sipping all night long.

Laphroaig is some nasty shit if you ask me. Alot of whiskey aficionados swear by it though.......... I feel it tastes too fishy and smokey.

Give me a Speyside whiskey any day of the week.

• 2 months later...

Just had some new shelves put on the wall, now I can enjoy my whisky collection in all it's glory!

4162960348_1ccea65e4e_o.jpg

Living in Shanghai, I drink a lot of Chivas and JWB with green tea out in the clubs. But at home, I like to indulge with something a little more exotic. As you can tell from the 1litre bottles, I travel a lot, and I have worked in the industry so I get great prices at the family sales.

I'm currently polishing off the Macallan, with Talisker or Caol Ila next on the drinking list. Can't wait to taste some of that Islay smoke & sea-salt! The Glenmorangie was finished a year ago but acts as a handy container for my home blend of leftover whiskies. I occasionally serve this out to whisky snobs to see if they can tell the difference. Haven't had anyone tell me it's not Glenmorangie yet!

I bought the Balvenie 30yo on my 30th birthday with the crazy idea of saving it for my 40th or 60th. But seeing as we were both casked in the same year, I now plan to make this bottle my lifetime drinking companion.

Whilst I'm sure some of the purists out there will object to me stocking maker's mark on my whisky shelf, let it be known I'm unashamedly a big bourbon fan too. Unfortunately, certain american friends of mine seem incapable of bringing back woodford reserve for me, without drinking it themselves. If you're reading this, you know who you are!

• 2 weeks later...

6xwylu.jpg

Just had a couple packages come into the office that are making me a little distracted. One is my Ervell order from Gilt. The other is this, an early Christmas gift from my friend back home. I'm resisting the urge to go Draper on this right now. Home state small-batch rye with a history dating back to the Prohibition. Capone himself kept it trill with this in some Iowa bars when Chicago was getting a little too oven.

the smooth buzz and mild taste is what attracts me to bourbon straight up. when i want to slow things down a bit i'll throw some vernors (detroit ginger) in it which is my mixed drink of choice.

i currently shoplift a 1.75 makers from the grocery store a week.

edit: i also shoplift 1800 tequila with my makers and make 100 proof margaritas.

Templeton is a nice, mild rye, not nearly as harsh or "spicy" as many other ryes. I quite like it alot, it's one of the few I can enjoy straight, or on the rocks.