Whisky love

teome

• 5 months later...

Shameless promotion of my wife's whiskey-inspired collection:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HenBecDecor

The bags or a flask would make a great Father's day present, if you happen to have an awesome Dad, that is.

• 3 weeks later...

So they stopped stocking Laphroaig quarter cask here and I'm looking for the next best thing...

I'm hesitating between Glenmorangie 10yo or Lasanta, Glenfarclas 12yo and Talisker 10yo. Any recommendations? Nothing more than $100 a bottle.. and no Balvenie please, I still have some double wood and signature.

So they stopped stocking Laphroaig quarter cask here and I'm looking for the next best thing...

I'm hesitating between Glenmorangie 10yo or Lasanta, Glenfarclas 12yo and Talisker 10yo. Any recommendations? Nothing more than $100 a bottle.. and no Balvenie please, I still have some double wood and signature.

The Talisker is the only one of those I've tasted that would have half the bite Laphroaig has. I'm actually working on a Glenmorangie 10yr at the moment and its decent, but if you're looking for that "my mouth is like the remnants of a forest fire" taste Laphroaig has I'd look elsewhere.

Yeah I've read that the Glenmorangie is pretty mellow, but then again it must be popular for a reason, right? I feel I ought to try it at some point

Anyway, I'm not necessarily looking for something with similar taste to the quarter cask, just suggestions for something good. Like I said, preferably not a Balvenie as I still have some, and neither the Oban 14, I've recently had it with my father. Otherwise I'm pretty open when it comes to scotch, it's one of the only spirits I truly enjoy.

one notch up - lagavulin 16

two notches up - lagavulin 12

one notch down (intensity wise) - caol ila 12

SSDD

Ardbeg Uigeadail. Usually goes for >$65. Its at cask strength so you get bang for the buck.

nice rec on the Ardbeg. Forget about the Glens if you like peated whiskies like QC.

You might even want to try Connemara, if you're not looking to spend too much.

Just ran through a fifth of Old Grand Dad, a fifth of Buffalo Trace, and I'm gonna either crack a bottle of Pulteney or stay on my American thing this trip and break open this Four Roses SB I bought. Getting my fill of whiskey while I'm here.

nice rec on the Ardbeg. Forget about the Glens if you like peated whiskies like QC.

You might even want to try Connemara, if you're not looking to spend too much.

Just ran through a fifth of Old Grand Dad, a fifth of Buffalo Trace, and I'm gonna either crack a bottle of Pulteney or stay on my American thing this trip and break open this Four Roses SB I bought. Getting my fill of whiskey while I'm here.

Grab some Angel's Envy bourbon while you're here. Its not available in Canada, Asia, and difficult to find in EU. And if you like Buffalo Trace, their Single Oak Project will be released soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you get the chance try the Portwood. Admittedly this is not anywhere near the 50 buck mark, but that is one damn tasty whisky.

Right now, I am slowly revising my opinion, that scotch is the only way to go.

Mostly due to this one here:

noahs-mill.jpg

• 1 month later...

im glad theres a thread for this.

I recently got really into scotch and have been trying whatever i can get my hands on. Tried a lot of the Glenlivet line, Glenmorangie 10,12, Glenfiddich 12, macallan 12's and some laphroaig.

So far, hands down, i like the 15 year old Glenlivet. Nice and spicy yet robust. Not smokey or peaty at all. IMO, the best bottle under $50, hands down. Hell, for 38.99 at your local bevmo, its almost a steal.

IqK3R.jpg

Guest glasses
im glad theres a thread for this.

I recently got really into scotch and have been trying whatever i can get my hands on. Tried a lot of the Glenlivet line, Glenmorangie 10,12, Glenfiddich 12, macallan 12's and some laphroaig.

So far, hands down, i like the 15 year old Glenlivet. Nice and spicy yet robust. Not smokey or peaty at all. IMO, the best bottle under $50, hands down. Hell, for 38.99 at your local bevmo, its almost a steal.

IqK3R.jpg

that's pretty good. you should try some highland park if you want some decently priced scotch

that's pretty good. you should try some highland park if you want some decently priced scotch

im open to suggestions on whatever, those are just what ive tried.

Ive tried a few more expensive scotchs like bowmore 15 darkest (which i did not like much) and glenlivet 18.

At this point, my palate isnt refined enough to differentiate and appreciate the difference between the 15 and 18 yo Glenlivet. The glenlivet 16 nadurra is boss too, but for $10 more id go with the 18 yo...

suggestions? i dont like smokiness or peatiness

Aberlour A'bunadh is always a great choice. No smoke or peat present. A true sherry bomb at cask strength.

im open to suggestions on whatever, those are just what ive tried.

Ive tried a few more expensive scotchs like bowmore 15 darkest (which i did not like much) and glenlivet 18.

At this point, my palate isnt refined enough to differentiate and appreciate the difference between the 15 and 18 yo Glenlivet. The glenlivet 16 nadurra is boss too, but for $10 more id go with the 18 yo...

suggestions? i dont like smokiness or peatiness