Skateboards?

flex0r

Don't know if this belongs here or in culture, but I was wondering what decks are good to skate? Been away from skating for a while, and I'm looking to get back in. I used to like BlackLabel and Enjoi...they still the shit?

Graphics don't matter much, since they're usually scratched off in a few days of good skating, I'm just interested in something that won't break within a week, with crazy amounts of pop and a nice mellow concave. What about different construction techniques? (Fiberlight, Popsickle, etc...)

edit: How about those Almost Impact decks? Anyone have some knowledge to drop?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

krooked

here's mine

krooked.jpg

what are those marks from?

dlx sometimes feels like they're waterlogged.. i like whoevers doing zero.. and u still cant go wrong with a good ol' girl/choc (u have to find the right shape though)

Girl/Chocolate definitely seems like a safe bet...I liked AWS alot, but I felt like they chipped too easily. I think I'll check out some of those at a local shop instead of ordering online.

What about wheels? I only ever rode Darkstar, but they were kind of heavy, I always thought Spitfires wore out too quickly, and I heard Ricta were too soft for street...

I'm sure there are already several threads about skateboards, so just do a search.

All you're going to get here are personal opinions, which will steer you in every different direction. What's good to one is bad to another.

I will say this, however: Stay away from gimmicky decks with "enhanced" construction.

Skateboards are going to break no matter what. That's just the nature of the game. I tried one of those Element Fiberlight decks when they first came out about 5 years ago, and while the fiberlight layer didn't break the rest of the layers did. So I still had a broken board, it just wasn't split in half like a traditional wooden board would be after a break. While still intact, it was completely unskateable. That experience kind of soured me on the synthetic material based decks. Maybe other companies have made better decks using non-wood materials, but I'll only ride maple.

I would go for some Bones Wheels, you can powerslide for days and not get any flatspots. Best wheels I´ve ever had. As far as wood is concerned you should go for either DLX (as a lot of people already mentioned) or AWS/Habitat. Never had any bad experiences with either.

Speaking of alternative construction, I had one of those hemp ply Habitat decks, and it rode pretty good.

First skateboard was Powell for me, then Toy Machine, Girl and nowadays just blanks since they're going to get shredded anyway. I have decks which I keep because of the artwork but always blank for actually skating on.

EDIT:I lie it was actually a Aliens Workshop one.

DLX is proper wood (anti-hero, real, krooked)

girl/choco was good but they recently started using chinese wood.

alien/habitat is proper too.

dwindle wood is fucking horrible. (almost, enjoi, darkstar, blind)

i personally ride DLX wood only just because they're doing shit right.

oh and don't bother getting those gimmick boards with the fancy cores or hollow construction or whatever they're doing these days. gimmicks.

girl/choc always been good to me

also, I try and stick away from chinese made decks. i know that it makes sense for most companies to get some stuff made in china, but skateboards seem a step too far

i know element decks are chinese made - assume that that's just the tip of the iceberg ...

I would go for some Bones Wheels, you can powerslide for days and not get any flatspots. Best wheels I´ve ever had. As far as wood is concerned you should go for either DLX (as a lot of people already mentioned) or AWS/Habitat. Never had any bad experiences with either.

Speaking of alternative construction, I had one of those hemp ply Habitat decks, and it rode pretty good.

I think most modern wheels are guaranteed against flatspots.

Get a harder smaller wheel (101 right?) for smooth surfaces and siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick powerslides and a softer bigger one (in the 90s) for rougher ones.

What about trucks? My last 2 pairs were silver and destructos. I need new ones (my last setup got jacked) and I'm kinda impartial, any expert suggestions ?

last pair of destructos cracked in a fucking week i hate that company forever

i usually skate thunders they last a while the only reason i usually have to get new ones is they end up rusting

edit: and as for wheels rictas are nice but i still get flatspots sometimes but hubbas suck dick never get them they wear down like nothing

last pair of destructos cracked in a fucking week i hate that company forever

i usually skate thunders they last a while the only reason i usually have to get new ones is they end up rusting

edit: and as for wheels rictas are nice but i still get flatspots sometimes but hubbas suck dick never get them they wear down like nothing

I thought destructos had a lifetime warranty?

Thanks for them suggestions, I guess the best thing to do is go to my local shop and see what they have.

girl/choc always been good to me

also, I try and stick away from chinese made decks. i know that it makes sense for most companies to get some stuff made in china, but skateboards seem a step too far

girl/choc's been making decks in china for at least 2 or 3 years now so if you've been riding them you've been riding china wood. doesn't bother me to be honest, girl decks are pretty much all i skate...i love the shapes and the wood is generally good.