Selvage Noob: Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime...

Dboon

Hey everyone -

I'm pretty new to superfuture in general but have had zero experience with selvage denim. I am, however, a hater of flash in the pan anything (obscene back pockets / washes etc), a DIY proponent and fan of durable, quality, anything. So, I figure I'd fit right in here.

What I currently wear is a rotation of Earnest Sewn / Sitches (haven't fallen apart for me...) / old Kasil

All of these were purchased for $100 or less each due to sales / promotions (store near me takes 40% off any denim in December if you bring in a pair of any denim for donation, including 2 dollar Goodwill Lee's), etc.

My question is: What would be a good way to break into the selvage game for around $200 USD? I'd be looking for a straight leg, maybe even subtle boot cut (nothing really skinny), and preferrably a brand that is *somewhat* comfortable out of the box

Thanks, denimheads

---

EDIT:

Tried sifting through this forum for a good 5 or so hours before this post and wasn't able to find what i was really looking for, sorry for making this a thread, delete/lock/etc

I don't think this really needed its own thread...

prepare to see RED

Did you somehow miss all the treads in superdenim with brands as the titles,

next time read a little and find what you need, also use the small questions thread, its a sticky for a reason!

this is def gonna be locked in a while, but before the lock, check out APC's, you can usually find them on the Supermarket for cheap and they're great for starting out with.

and yea, do use the search bar. its easy and you wont get -rep

EDIT: I take forever to post, sorry

There is plenty of info on this forum that could guide you through this process. But in the interest of goodwill, I'll make a few suggestions.

First, are you more interested in "selvage" or "dry denim". My guess is probably both. Secondly, you need to go with what fits you well as the most important factor. So, if possible, go to a store and try them on. If not, order from a reputable sight with reasonable shipping and a good return policy (www.selfedge.com, www.contextclothing.com, www.blueingreensoho.com, www.revolveclothing.com, www.denimbaronline.com). Many people get introduced to dry denim with Nudie and APC. These labels get ripped by some of the denim purists on this site but if you want to stay in the $200 range, I suggest the APC New Standard. It is a dry selvage slim fitting jean. Or, for a little more $$ you could go with Nudie Regular Alf Dry Selvage which is a straight bootcut. The best price for Nudie will likely be from www.cultizm.com, which ships from Germany so shipping costs are a little higher, but they give great service...

Anyway, eventually you may come around to the Japanese Artisan Denim labels, but for an introduction, APC and Nudie are good bets...

Good Luck...

some Nudie Regular Ralf (now called Alf). Wear them every day for a year before you wash them inside out in hot water once. Put them on wet to re-crease, then let them air dry.

Then you will understand. After that get some Japanese SDA's or Samurai or something, LVC's, and the like.

EDIT:

Tried sifting through this forum for a good 5 or so hours before this post and wasn't able to find what i was really looking for, sorry for making this a thread, delete/lock/etc

Maybe if you cared to look at the top of the fucking page you'd have seen SUPERDENIM ENCYCLOPAEDIA (Read me before posting a new thread)

see the "Read me before posting a new thread" part?

I highly recomend: A.P.C New Standards

These jeans fit exactly like your discription. Not to skinny and not big. There just slightly tapered They are my favorite pair of jeans.

Best part is that it is:

Selvege+ Raw + Indigo Color= only 155, and still very good quality!

http://www.apc.fr/indexS08.php?r=1&Largeur=1152&Hauteur=650

enjoy!