Okinawa vs Hawaii Sugarcanes

digital_denim

Quote:

I guess this question may be directed to RingRing, but if anyone else knows that'd be great.

Is there a material difference between the two?

Is there a cut difference?

Trying to decide between these two:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/147151/

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/146561/

--- Original message by digital_denim on Sep 14, 2005 11:18 PM

Hi Digital,

Here's a few of the differences (apart from obvious ones like the pocket stitching and patch label):

Fabric - the denim of the Hawaii's is super slubby , with huge variation in warp yarn size and colour. From kingfisher blues to almost back hues. The Okinawa denim is altogether more 'normal' in aspect. Both are natural indigo. I think the indigo from the Hawaii's comes from Hawaii and Okinawa uses indigo cultivated on the island that lends it's name. Both are made from cotton/sweet sorghum. The Hawaii's are far more 'prickly' to wear (they both have specks of woody fibre in the cloth, and the Hawaii's prickle a bit). Both impart that slight sweet smell. Both are great denims, with the Hawaii considered extra special (which is reflected in the price).

The cut of the Okinawa's is quite slim and tapered, although still trad fit around the hips/rise. The Hawaii's are a straight leg, slim-ish cut.

The Hawaii's also have quite a special construction. Very dense stitching (like fine handmade shirts), hand felled seams, no chainstitching anywhere. Lovely little details like the twin fly topstitching converging into a point, hand embroidered back pocket broken arcuates etc... I *think* the Okinawa's are of a more conventional construction. I'll check.

Does that help?

Oops sorry Digital, I hadn't actually clicked your links and had assumed, incorrectly, that the Hawaii referred to the SC40400 (http://saddlemen.net/jeans/sc40400128.htm ).

The one's you posted, the SC40210A have a more 'regular' weave of denim, although still a cotton/sorghum mix like the Okinawa's. Regular construction, with chainstitch hems, waistband etc. Straight leg cut, like the SC40400, rather than taped as the Okinawa's.

can someone tell me the difference between these two?

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/147887/

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/257746/

how does the other one fit compared to the hawaii? they both seem to be the same price, so is there any difference in quality or anything of the sort? sorry if these questions have been answered, but i translated the page and it didn't make as much sense i would have hoped.

I've had my eye and mind on both pairs for a couple weeks, as projects for the next couple of years ... Got a hook up in place and a mule to carry them back over too, so I'm laughing.

The first pair have been covered here already a bunch of times (I'd provide a thread but I'm a technocripple newbie and haven't sussed how to yet. just check the other threads) It'd be good to know a bit more about the second, though ... No one has mentioned them, and I think they look proper interesting ...

well, i bought an item from yahoo auctions japan through him as well, so it was kind of a package deal. I don't know the cut but i read it was "As for shape in XX model jeans many standards straight" (from Hinoya, translated by google) so I figured it a slimmer cut straight leg but I'm no expert.

Edited by imisssefler on Sep 15, 2005 at 04:26 PM

Quote:

THanks Ringring,

Ok, now you've made the Hawaii's SC40400 sound really nice.

So are the SC40200 (AWA), SC40300 (Ryukyu), and SC40400 (Hawaii's), all comparable in construction? All that nice stuff you mentioned?

What are the fit differences?

Have you seen these up close?

Thanks again

--- Original message by digital_denim on Sep 15, 2005 03:25 PM

Hey Digital

The SC40400 are really nice, although maybe not to everyone's taste - they look stripey when worn. Sugarcane really pushed the boat out on those.

The Awa & Ryukyu & Hawaii's differ in the origins (and I think dyeing methods) of their indigo. The AWA & Ryukyu have a regular jeans style stitching (regular stitch length, chainstitching) compared to the Hawaii's dense lockstitching. They also don't have the bound fly facings like the Hawaii. All are cotton/sweet sorghum blend, although there's not the same variation in warp threads in Awa & Ryukyu as you'll find on the Hawaii's.

The Ryukyu's are cut like a slim fit Lee (tapered leg, wide spaced shield pockets - I think maybe left hand twill too). The other two have slim straight legs.

I've seen the Hawaii's and the Okinawa's up close and on the body. The others I've just flicked through on rails. I'll apologise in advance for any inaccuracies, as I don't always pay too much attention to details like style names.

Edo's the new green-cast style. Cool tatto patch!

Sugar Millet aka Sweet Sorghum aka Sweet Millet aka Sorghum Saccharatum (Satou Morokoshi in Japanese?) is a commonly grown plant of the grass family (like Sugar Cane - Saccharum Officinarum). Used to make a sweet molasses type syrup and distilled for bio-fuel, alcaholic drinks, etc. It's stalks are cane-like. Widely cultivated in Asia.

It's interesting what fibres can be used for denim (there are also bamboo/cotton mixes - and of course, hemp and linen).