Stuff Asians Love

FAM0US.

Korean guys get a good rep across Asia because sexuality in Korea is still in the 1970's... Korean guys over there do a lot of bitchmade stuff to get their diddlies wet, it's embarrassing...

Japanese women past a certain age/from the boonies started eating it up those 4-5 years ago because Korean guys are reminscent of Japanese guys from days of yore, nowadays your typical Japanese guy is pretty much like 'fuck you, i'm a man and I'm here' whereas Korean guys are about carrying a girls purse and buying them lots of shit in hopes they score, and make it a long drug out process. Koreans go on very formal dates and still go through these painful games trying to get each other to admit they're formal boyfriend/girlfriend and then progress to all the arbitrary rules of old-fashioned dating, like the 3/1 rule where the guy pays thrice for the girls once, they walk the girl home, and see red whenever someone talks to their girl whilst out because they're watching their investment go up in smoke...

My theory about the other countries that hang off the K-pop idols nuts is that I guess down in those third world countries they don't have guys who pay as much attention to their appearance like Korean guys do, with the clothes and grooming. Bi (Rain) is next-level frute swagz so I can see how people not used to this crazy K-pop culture are amused by him, I can't even think of another world celebrity as big of a cheeseball, yet there are a whole lot of like clones running around Korea....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think coldrice should have the ultimate theory about Asian hiphop so now I'm hoping he checks in on this thread and drops some knowledge, but damn yeah those Korean-American kids who repatriated and became the token rappers in those K-pop groups circa late-'90s really got good gigs considering they were all uneducated green card-status kids in America... was good while it lasted but that generation is back out on the streets now that Korean kids can speak passable English and will do anything to become stars. My friend had to let Mikey from Turbo sleep on his couch once Turbo broke up and he had to come back....

^ yea and as crappy as a lot of kpop is, you have to have some actual talent nowadays(sing, dance, look good, speak multiple languages)...

when i was really into korean music a few years ago, both hiphop and punk had a pretty decent scene...is hongdae's nightlife still cool or nah?

that story about turbo is classic. haha...

Yeah I've seen some interesting bands play in Hongdae, but it's such a burgeoning scene with no attitude or organization... Korean society is still so strict and regimental that it's missing that 'I'm gonna be a rock star under my own power and have lots of coke and girls' mentality to aspire to... 'cool kids' usually latch onto the material and think swag is buying nice clothes and fixing their hair and face up, but can't figure out why they covet Western pop culture...

You usually meet up with kids who are 18 and fresh from their 12 years of robotic studying at school and they're ready to do something with themselves, unfortunately they have no role models besides borrowed Western ones, and the way they view it is like how we used to sit around at middle school and dream of being rock stars here in America, so they're on the late train I guess and get penalized the 5 years of personal development. A lot of the musicians I've met didn't start playing til later in life because they had to hide it from their parents... Koreans still don't value the arts or entertainment fields as proper professions so it's still a long haul for those types... music in Korea is such a tough, frustrating topic...

Yeah I've seen some interesting bands play in Hongdae, but it's such a burgeoning scene with no attitude or organization... Korean society is still so strict and regimental that it's missing that 'I'm gonna be a rock star under my own power and have lots of coke and girls' mentality to aspire to... 'cool kids' usually latch onto the material and think swag is buying nice clothes and fixing their hair and face up, but can't figure out why they covet Western pop culture...

You usually meet up with kids who are 18 and fresh from their 12 years of robotic studying at school and they're ready to do something with themselves, unfortunately they have no role models besides borrowed Western ones, and the way they view it is like how we used to sit around at middle school and dream of being rock stars here in America, so they're on the late train I guess and get penalized the 5 years of personal development. A lot of the musicians I've met didn't start playing til later in life because they had to hide it from their parents... Koreans still don't value the arts or entertainment fields as proper professions so it's still a long haul for those types... music in Korea is such a tough, frustrating topic...

oh my god youve got down my plight precisely. im a bioengineering major at ucla yet take vocal classses and have been urged multiple times to switch majors. most people are in fact suprised when i tell them that i'm not a vocal major. my dream is to participate in spring sing rock it and hopefully get noticed by talent scouts like maroon 5 did at the same concert. but my parents in the way think all entertainmmet business is dirtydirty. my roommate/best friend is also in a similar scenario in which he plays guitar marvelously as a church praise leader and can sing too. but at this rate, since were both engineers, we have no where to go but those damn subruban lifestyles.

Dude, you're up against a LOT of factors there, as Koreans won't even take something like music seriously unless you squeeze every bit of effort out of yourself trying to prove it... American musicians would be astounded by the mentality of Asian musicians, they're robots just like they were once students..

I used to buy my guitars at Nakwon market in Jongro, and basically every guy in there selling guitars is a typical looking ahjushee type but can all of them can shred like hell because they gave up the salaryman path and ended up as musical instrument dealers in the aftermath of that 1980's Shinchon/student demo culture blues/folk explosion in Seoul, haha...

Part of the reason why Korean indie music has never really taken off is because Koreans are avert to anything subcultural and especially anything related to overt sexuality/drug use/pleasure... The Japanese had their folk music explosion/college demo era in the late 60's and early 70's and could ape off American and Euro role models, but by the time Korea caught up in the mid-late 80's there was that hard rock/blues thing going on around the world so Koreans caught the train then, and kinda missed the point...

Shinchon has a lot of remnant lairs of 1980's Yonsei undergrads who were in that, but just a few years later that early 1990's Cross Colors/commercial rap took over and opened up the way for commerical K-pop groups leaving muscianship in the dust...

jay chou is limited to chinese audiences and some southeast asians. koreans and japanese do not listen to jay chou. dbsk, rain, boa, shinhwa, big bang and a couple other korean artists make so much money overseas that they usually make japanese and chinese albums as well as spend much time touring. for example, dbsk spends 2 months touring korea, about 6 or so months in japan, and the rest in china. can we not argue about this anymore

Lib:

Some interesting people that play in Hongdae:

Miami (Japanese gyaru electro duo, sampler/violin)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=63514356

Itta:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25912402

The Patients: (boot oi)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82108025

Galaxy Express (they do a cover of 'Kick out the Jams' in broken English and are better at strutting than playing, but eh)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=89763746

Samchung: (similar story as above, different sound)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=145415691

the Rocktigers: (Korea-billy, haven't seem them live but would maybe)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=44201013

B.B. Luckytown (I like these kids)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=57719739

heard most of these, thanks...hmm...first time hearing that japanese group...interesting lol...

cant really fuck with luckytown though, their music is like bad korean greenday...ugh...

noticed lots of korean punk is oi/streetpunk(which can hilarious/weird results), but dont think too many bands are doin crust or dbeat type stuff, yea?

jay chous stuff is pretty good.

you have to go to asian stores in like la to find stuff like this.. you definitely wont find it at your local barnes / nobles or anything..

and dbsk reminds me too much of a massive man orgy...

although i have to say big bang isnt too shabby.. pretty good stuff they write.

but i like mc mong the best. great music to my ears

heard most of these, thanks...hmm...first time hearing that japanese group...interesting lol...

cant really fuck with luckytown though, their music is like bad korean greenday...ugh...

noticed lots of korean punk is oi/streetpunk(which can hilarious/weird results), but dont think too many bands are doin crust or dbeat type stuff, yea?

haha, BB Luckytown is pretty vile in the big picture but locally they're a fun group to see. I still listen to J Church though, so yeah....

I came back to this post because I hadn't really thought about it before, but yeah Korean punk is all oi, I am trying to come up with a logical explanation or cultural context for this because I think there is one, but can't right now off the top of my head. Seeing them play might make you think it is all about the clothes for them, though, I was serious about that...