Tokyo Unlocked Phones

unmetro

no.

and you suck.

there are "white-rom" phones but that term just applies to non 3G phones i.e. phones without SIM cards.

also, 3G phones use UIM cards that are not compatible with GSM SIMs.

Au phones have level 2 SIM lock (stronger version of regular SIM lock).

what's the point of such a thin phone

thicker phones are more comfortable to hold

maybe it's good for if you wear a suit to work

Why do Ferraris exist if a Camry is more comfortable to drive?

LIVE THE B.A.L.L.A. LIFESTYLE!

Why do Ferraris exist if a Camry is more comfortable to drive?

LIVE THE B.A.L.L.A. LIFESTYLE!

more like smart car vs. maybach

if you like it, go for it; it's your prerogative

but I'd rather have something feature packed and cutting edge, especially in Japan

you can get "unlock" softbank phones in tokyo

but you really have to know where you going and they charge ALOT for them

from what I know they mainly sell 903SH

and those unlock are not really unlock officialy made by Softbank since that does not exist in Japan at all.

so you'll be better off getting it online and unlock it yourself

of course depending what model you looking for because not all japanese phones have GSM freq if you live in Asia or Europe then some 3G only japanese phones will work

more like smart car vs. maybach

if you like it, go for it; it's your prerogative

but I'd rather have something feature packed and cutting edge, especially in Japan

Ur one ignorant mofo aren't you.

This is the newest top of line cellphone out now in Japan.

It has a 3 inch Sharp LCD display, 2 mega-pixel camera w/ motion stability, integrated RFID digital payment system (サイフケータイ), 3G high-speed internet access (FOMA Highspeed), 3G world roaming, integrated Mp3 player with SD mini slot, one-sig service to watch wireless high definition television, plus integrated web-brower w/ the ability to view also Excel, PDF, and other Word files

ALL in a 9.8mm aluminum-alloy metal frame body....

Ur one ignorant mofo aren't you.

This is the newest top of line cellphone out now in Japan.

It has a 3 inch Sharp LCD display, 2 mega-pixel camera w/ motion stability, integrated RFID digital payment system (サイフケータイ), 3G high-speed internet access (FOMA Highspeed), 3G world roaming, integrated Mp3 player with SD mini slot, one-sig service to watch wireless high definition television, plus integrated web-brower w/ the ability to view also Excel, PDF, and other Word files

ALL in a 9.8mm aluminum-alloy metal frame body....

drrajio

yes, it's new in docomo's refresh, but it's not 'top of line'. All those other features you mentioned are commonly found in plenty of jdm phones. the only major qualities about this model are the new six-axis image stabilization and the overall design (9.8mm, steel, trademark panasonic one-push-open). quite pedastrian if you ask me. and I don't even live in Japan.

if you think about it, compact designs are really not that impressive. in a short period of time, the manufacturing methods will be industry wide. then you'll be left with something that's not as relatively thin anymore, compromised, and feature lacking. similar thing happened with the motorola v3. $800 and hot when it came out, but a year later and almost no desirability.

take a look at this other phone, for comparison

Sharp 920SH k-tai watch

3.2" WVGA LCD (480x854), 2000:1 contrast ratio, best lcd in industry

all the features you mentioned for the other phone (1seg, felicia, etc)

3.2mp camera (sweet spot for mp count. any less is lacking, any more is not a big deal)

18mm - the thinnest phone with this type of display

YK trader version

Personally, I'd rather have something like this because I know that 5 years later, it will still be a respected model.

nothing wrong if you prefer the prior phone. it's a decent model. the open-button is always great (WANPUSSHUOPUNBOTAN lmao).

just keep in mind that it's not feature packed, and will likely cramp your hands during your conversations.

Look given the body type, which is amazingly thin, I can forgo some features. But I still stand firm in my statement that there isn't any other phone on the maket with such a thin body with the features implemented. To say that you'll want to buy a phone to last you 5 years is pretty absurd given the fast clip at which technology is moving and the rate these devices drop in prices.

Frankly, phone two years ago that were the "bleeding edge" have been surpassed not by the inherit integrated technologies in the phones but by the PROVIDERS themselves, i.e. new services, et. al. This is why also the reason why its FUCKING RETARDED to buy a Japanese phone to unlock because the greatest value these phones provide is the SERVICE which you can't even use outside of Japan. And services changes VERY FAST in Japan due to the sales turnover and contract turnover rates; the highest in any developed cell-phone market.

Frankly, I think the phone you provided is pretty ugly and sub-standard within the Japan market right now. Most of the new phones are going toward the alloy-integrated board body type and I see this as an overall trend in general. The one-sig service really doesn't have the revenue muscle to tackle the general trend in reduced servicing rates after the recent law which allows users to leave providers with their numbers intact. Besides, who the fuck want to have a antenna sticking out of their phone!? Finally, I've dealt and held the phone in my hands and its fine in terms of ease of use. I think you just have a biased opinion towards thin phones but you're definitely going against the general market trends.

I know a few that have done the opposite...

brought in a unlocked phone and replaced it with the chip from an existing account in Japan, Softbank I think it was from.

I really can't be bothered following the the latest in cellphones. Everything moves fast here as djrajio has said. Im just happy I moved from Softbank to AU. My calls dont get dropped because the clouds were blocking the signals...

Look given the body type, which is amazingly thin, I can forgo some features. But I still stand firm in my statement that there isn't any other phone on the maket with such a thin body with the features implemented. To say that you'll want to buy a phone to last you 5 years is pretty absurd given the fast clip at which technology is moving and the rate these devices drop in prices.

Frankly, phone two years ago that were the "bleeding edge" have been surpassed not by the inherit integrated technologies in the phones but by the PROVIDERS themselves, i.e. new services, et. al. This is why also the reason why its FUCKING RETARDED to buy a Japanese phone to unlock because the greatest value these phones provide is the SERVICE which you can't even use outside of Japan. And services changes VERY FAST in Japan due to the sales turnover and contract turnover rates; the highest in any developed cell-phone market.

Frankly, I think the phone you provided is pretty ugly and sub-standard within the Japan market right now. Most of the new phones are going toward the alloy-integrated board body type and I see this as an overall trend in general. The one-sig service really doesn't have the revenue muscle to tackle the general trend in reduced servicing rates after the recent law which allows users to leave providers with their numbers intact. Besides, who the fuck want to have a antenna sticking out of their phone!? Finally, I've dealt and held the phone in my hands and its fine in terms of ease of use. I think you just have a biased opinion towards thin phones but you're definitely going against the general market trends.

as for the phone you like, you obviously know more about what your preferences are than I. my point was mainly that I found it fruitless to look at thinness as a main quality, as the appeal usually wears off rather quickly. add to that the fact that super-compact electronics don't usually have much else to offer - so in short time you could be left with something mondane. this might not be applicable in your environment, but I thought that it would be worth pointing out.

about unlocking jdm phones, I don't think you see the point. It's already pretty clear that the bulk of services offered in Japan won't be available elsewhere, and that many of the phone's features will be disabled in other regions. the reason why we want unlocked jdm phones (with gsm) is that they are still far superior to what is offered here. the phones our carriers sell are relatively primitive, so unlockable jdm models are space age in comparison (how many of our phones have wvga?). plus, it's nice to own something much less common, and harder to obtain. (and don't forget, people here love japanese things and jdm products)

and finally, about the phone I posted, the 920SH; it's one of the few jdm phones which can be used where I live (almost). It might be mediocre in the jdm market, but compared to the phones we have here, it's pretty next level. I'm entirely ignorant of japanese phones, so if this phone is mediocre, then I can only imagine how the top-line models compare to the prosolid μ.

in short, my advice is to avoid thinness as the major selling point. If you disagree, that's alright, I'm still happy for you.

oh, and as for the OP - from what I know, the sharp models are the best jdm phones with GSM which can be unlocked.

rajio didnt neg you right?

don't you understand that he doesn't need a phone with the best LCD or features? HE AINT GOT NO TlME FOR THAT. he cant watch no tv on it. he needs it to have girls text him stuff. THAT'S IT.

I want some Softbank Brad Pitt type shit. Brad Pitt doesn't care if his phone has features. He needs ソフィスティケション.

I'll take a slim phone with reasonable features any day over a do-it-all brick. I'm into the wood grain phone I see in LEON all the time. I don't even know what service its for. The wood grain reminds me of an old school Jeep Wagoneer with the fake wood paneling.

so the conclusion is:

it will be difficult for a tourist to find an unlocked phone.

that is correct

not just unlocked phones but cellphone prepaid or monthly plan as well

you'll need Official documents from the Japanese governments that says you are living in Japan. Otherwise it is impossible to get one directly from Japan service provider store.

What's so special about these phones? they seem pricey for a flip phone, they do something special beside look nice?

Outside Japan, they just look nice with things like 3.2" screen (HD screen)

Inside Japan, they can watch 1-Seg (live TV), email, 3.5G, work as credit card, GPS and list goes on....

Outside Japan, they just look nice with things like 3.2" screen (HD screen)

Inside Japan, they can watch 1-Seg (live TV), email, 3.5G, work as credit card, GPS and list goes on....

thanks, captain obvious!