Patrik Ervell F/W 08.09 NY

goldengloves

The gold pieces are fantastic.

I have to say, I don't really mind that much that this is simply an updated version of S/S. I don't necessarily think that the "High Fashion" designers as such should, but as far as these sort of mid-upper level (price and prestige wise) designers go, I appreciate it when they stick to one aesthetic / thematic idea. It makes the composition of a seasonal wardrobe easier / perhaps even a little more interesting. However, this is obviously a little samey.

It certainly doesn't bother me if they don't, but it's an interesting idea.

at least if you miss out on something by ervell you know can cop it next season.thats really the only positive of his repeitition.his jackets always good i guess.

I suppose il be positive for a sec : Ervells pretty much one of the only designers whos entire look id wear straight from the catwalk.Pretty much every other designer I just take individual pieces from and apply it to my wardrobe.Too bad his ss08 isnt dropping til March ..

It's totally wearable, Servo. Apparently it took three months to make. Whether or not you buy that is an entirely different matter.

I loved his earlier stuff, when it was fresh. I totally understand your take on the expectations considering this stuff's price point, but I think goldengloves and diamonds are totally right to criticize. There's a difference between having an aesthetic you stick with and an aesthetic that you repeat.

I Love Patrik Ervell's collections. I just love his aesthetic. Well the designer himself is pretty cool. He's been very consistent but I agree this one isn't as interesting as some of his previous collections. But it's excellent nontheless.

I like the collection, the colours are great and theres something about the whole aesthetic I really like. to be honest I didn't really see it as that repetitive

these were my favorites:

00020m.jpg00060m.jpg

00120m.jpg

oh lulz his page on men.style is called PERVMEN

Guest Pettibon
Damn, Was looking at the colelction again, I can't seem to get my mind off how those Trousers look so Mad comfy. I mean, Everything looks mighty comfortable while looking amazing. Good job.

i tried on last season's "formal pant" and it wasnt that comfortable at all, actually.maybe these are different. i like ervell but man he's doing the same thing every season. even soulja boy knows you shouldnt do that.

Guest Pettibon
maybe he is just redoing the winning formula?? afterall it did get him his much wanted success...

that is what he's doing. i'm saying that's a path to irrelevance.

that is what he's doing. i'm saying that's a path to irrelevance.

I'm with you here. As much as I like this collection, it is spectacularly repetitive. Which is understandable, in my opinion. It's hard to give up your "bestsellers." I think next season, while he can feel free to keep producing his club collars and whatnot, the runway needs something different. Frankly, as long as the next season is different and good, I probably wouldn't be much bothered again if he chooses to just re-hash for next F/W.

It's totally wearable, Servo. Apparently it took three months to make. Whether or not you buy that is an entirely different matter.

Damn. I imagine in that case it'll be pretty fucking expensive, even if it goes into production.

Behind N(n) this is my favorite collection. In terms of aesthetic and wearability this collection trumps anything put by the superfashion favorites, in my opinion. "Innovative" clothing usually looks like fashion trash, unwearable to such an extent that even the ultra-rich and beautiful have no chance at pulling it off.

I don't really buy into the "limited" high-fashion mentality, so if Ervell keeps putting out the same beautifully tailored pants and jackets every season that means that sometime I might be able to pick up the pieces I've always liked. That's incredibly important to me.

That being said, I also think that the line looks stunning and that the movement is really better than everything else this season.

Guest Pettibon
Behind N(n) this is my favorite collection. In terms of aesthetic and wearability this collection trumps anything put by the superfashion favorites, in my opinion. "Innovative" clothing usually looks like fashion trash, unwearable to such an extent that even the ultra-rich and beautiful have no chance at pulling it off.

I don't really buy into the "limited" high-fashion mentality, so if Ervell keeps putting out the same beautifully tailored pants and jackets every season that means that sometime I might be able to pick up the pieces I've always liked. That's incredibly important to me.

That being said, I also think that the line looks stunning and that the movement is really better than everything else this season.

i dont understand what you're saying. i hope you know the inseams on the pants are generally short.

This is something I've been thinking about recently and that I see more than applicable to a designer like Ervell, largely inspired by this quote from Aitor Throup:

...We as consumers are not allowed to buy things when we want or even when the designer wants, which runs contradictory to the essence of creativity. While fashion cycles may give structure and boundaries that creative people think they need, designers can become self-absorbed and indulgent...

... fashion would allow itself to show a product whenever it's ready, not in predetermined cycles. Now more than ever, people like to layer rather than having a winter wardrobe and a summer wardrobe. That's such an old-fashioned system.

Imagine if the music industry did it that way. Imagine if they released all their new music every six months. You'd have to listen to the new albums all at once and, worst of all, once an album comes out, you're only allowed to buy it for six months. After that you have to buy the new album, which would probably be shit because they only had six months to come up with a concept, develop it, record it, do the artwork, etc. My collections operate a lot differently.

I don't want these pieces to go away. I want to be able to buy the pieces I like, when I like, and I like these pieces. It's essentially what Ervell is. I think the gold pieces are more than sufficient, along with some minor color changes, to provide some seasonal interest and inspiration, but I don't want or need a whole new set of jackets since I only buy maybe one a season anyway.

I'm not sure that this is the manner to begin escaping from the season-to-season grind (super restrictive collections that re-iterate essentially identical pieces) but I think it's an example of how, in a commercial sense, most people are not bothered by being given the opportunity to buy the same thing again. If they liked it so much in the first place, why do they need something new to replace it? Why not buy what you wanted last season if you didn't have the opportunity?

I do not necessarily applies to every designer, either. Comme Des Garcons, for instance, probably would not flourish in that sort of "archival" format considering how different every season is (although that might explain why it's been so shit for so long now).

I'm typing as I'm thinking so this is more to spark discussion than my end-all opinion on the matter, more to induce discussion.