Is Levi's Having a Comeback?

aubrgene

• 2 weeks later...

my current pair is lvc, the 1890s, they are horrible, the denim is too thin, they are a bitch to fade, they fit weird (17 inch back rise), 1 back pocket is kinda awkward, but god i love em. i also got my dad some 66 lvc and they are very nice, so yeah levis are good. yeah some of us are a little salty at what they did to the repro brands but some will always choose to comeback.

I am of the opinion that everyone should own a pair of Levi's.

due to their mass production, almost everyone does own a pair of levi's. and everyone probably owns a pair in their lifetime. if you don't now, you did, and if you didn't you probably will.

i love what dino might said...i love what they did, and i hate what they do.

isn't it the same with everything else that turns to mass production for more profits? brand perception definitely goes down the drain when you try to target ALL segments of the market.

^plongin, second point is on point.

sorta like once harley davidson sold out to AMF (the BOWLING guys..) and tried to sell bikes to fat pussy businessmen...

needless to say, lots of diehards/actual people in the know hate harley now, wont even buy anything from them, but will still search out old bikes and engines from the golden years... cant deny the past.

Levi still makes 501's at their San Fran plant. 99% are now made overseas or south america, but if you know where to look you can still get USA 501's (not LVC's either!)

But I just buy t he LVC's myself.... which as far as I know are all US made...

If Levi got some shuttle looms and did it right, sold it for big bills and got me a red tab and a real leather patch with some streaky slubby original fades n shit, I'd probs cop.

But till then I'm a hater, and most people I see wearing them is with the AA zip up and they matching girlfriend who dun reknize real denim. So who cares. I still like the Levi's that are dirty as fucked, ripped to shit and did their time in the ditch, but most of them are flukes bought cause 501's are fairly cheap and dependable and they aren't washed because they are just work pants, not for some nice fades (which is one thing they don't get). The Levi 501 is good to see well used, more than a 300 dollar pair of jeans is (a mechanic wearing SugarCanes would be pretty chilling, for example), something about 90bucks and you can just fuck them up.

hey cotton, i just read the comment you left. i remember you posted pics of your 1890s but i cannot find them at all. if you could post the pics again i would appreciate it. im not gonna post mine yet, they are still too clean looking. once they get some character ill give some after shots.

What's not to love?

We will always want to check out the Japanese take on vintage jeans - without which this board wouldn't exist. But remember that LVC Japan were producing excellent selvage reissues as early as Evis were - it's just that they weren't exported to the west. It upset me that Levi's closed their US factories - but they did so long after people like Gap had moved manufacturing offshore. And they've been making reissues, most of them damn good, for well over a decade.

501front1947.jpg

I kinda feel like I need to get a pair of STF now.

All my experience with Levis in the past was mostly having a really hard time finding anything that didn't have some kind of really shitty wash, and fit me decently. Granted, I was totally unaware of the STF, the reissues, etc. at the time. I've learned a whole lot about denim in the past year and change...thanks to Kiya and SuFu.

Still....

Nothing has ever fit me as well, or felt as sturdy as my Flat Heads. I'm in love with this company, arse over tits.

Maybe I'll get some STF just for the hell of it. Anything's worth trying once, right?

^anything that costs 30 washingtons at least..

Hookers excluded. I find they are always worth paying for top-tier.

Levi never produced their own denim, so getting their own looms would not make much sense.

If Levi got some shuttle looms and did it right, sold it for big bills and got me a red tab and a real leather patch with some streaky slubby original fades n shit, I'd probs cop.

But till then I'm a hater, and most people I see wearing them is with the AA zip up and they matching girlfriend who dun reknize real denim. So who cares. I still like the Levi's that are dirty as fucked, ripped to shit and did their time in the ditch, but most of them are flukes bought cause 501's are fairly cheap and dependable and they aren't washed because they are just work pants, not for some nice fades (which is one thing they don't get). The Levi 501 is good to see well used, more than a 300 dollar pair of jeans is (a mechanic wearing SugarCanes would be pretty chilling, for example), something about 90bucks and you can just fuck them up.

• 1 month later...
Ahlvahroe, start with this post and work you way down...

damn you cotton duck, i didnt see this till just right now. when you first posted it you didnt have the link on there, so i thought you were being a dick, and just told me go with that post and work my way down till i found it. i spent like an hour that night searching for it and still couldnt find it. now that its almost 2 months later when i see it, i feel kinda dumb now. thanks for the link, mine are fading so slow, i hope they look that nice in a while

Alot of people that i go to school with get clean cut levis just cos theyre there and relatively cheap. they dont make an effort to get a certain pair of jeans. they just go grab them. Good old levis never fails.