Do people on Sufu exercise?

organic ketchup

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 ounce curls here. Sometimes I extend that pinky finger when drinking a cocktail and feeling fabulous.

Occasionally, when the temperature and venue are right, I like to go eight drinks deep and throw around some words and get people mad and swinging, that is good enough exercise for me.

yeah i know. but i try to balance it by heavy power lifting but also have cardio. generally weight lifting for me does not yield too much muscle growth (more muscle strength and definition than size) unlike my brother, which i like; otherwise i'd have to get all new clothes :o

He's eating more than you, that's the reason. Weight training while not eating enough to actually grow muscle will result in less fat (what you call definition) and a central nervous system more capable of using muscles to their full potential (what you call muscle strenght).

great to hear so many people exercising in here . . . i never used to but now i'm addicted. my best race time is 10K = 6.2 miles = 49:00. now i'm training for the half-marathon at the end of June . . . a new year's resolution. it's actually a full marathon but that's too rich for my blood, you can just run half if you want http://www.maratonadorio.com.br/

anyone want to join me?

i'm actually late for fucking work because i went running this morning instead of getting ready . . .

(asking out of curiousity because i don't know any large people who have took the initiative to lose weight) how many waist sizes did you go down so far?

Ugh. I dropped a good 4 waist sizes in 2 years time. But now I'm stuck at 33. Basically I got bored with walking all the time, I'm eating more calories (can't help it man!), and I stopped working so I haven't been as consistently active throughout the day as before.

And now I'm an insomniac, it's cold outside, and I'm super lazy. Shit.

Ugh. I dropped a good 4 waist sizes in 2 years time. But now I'm stuck at 33. Basically I got bored with walking all the time, I'm eating more calories (can't help it man!), and I stopped working so I haven't been as consistently active throughout the day as before.

Damn, that's crazy. I was a 35" waist at 188 pounds (emaciated as shit, I'm a big guy), 36.5" waist at 252 pounds, and now I'm 36" waist at 220 pounds (shooting for 200 again, we'll see). I'm always fascinated by people whose waists fluctuate that much. Do you have a small frame?

He's eating more than you, that's the reason. Weight training while not eating enough to actually grow muscle will result in less fat (what you call definition) and a central nervous system more capable of using muscles to their full potential (what you call muscle strenght).

no, during the summer he had me on the same diet as him, eating the same portions and foods with all the same extras (whey powder shakes, etc.) because i wanted to see if i could bulk up like him. didn't work; he said something about me being an ectomorph

lol it's alright; it happens :o but good job 4 waist sizes is a lot

no, during the summer he had me on the same diet as him, eating the same portions and foods with all the same extras (whey powder shakes, etc.) because i wanted to see if i could bulk up like him. didn't work; he said something about me being an ectomorph

Obviously since everything is relative what i mean is he's eating more calories in relation to his expenditure than you.

I fit about a 35 or 36 now. When I first entered college, I did nothing but walk and ride a bike, and I went down to about 33 or 34. Clothes were falling off like shit....Not sure what my weight was, but now I'm like 200+. But I'm still very active, I run 2 miles every other day (was doing 3), I hit the heavy bags (bullshitting moreso), situps, and lift weights ( my max is 300, don't know about squat. maybe 400? hell if I know. And no, that isn't alot.).

Right now, it's me needing to change my diet I reckon. That seems to be the hardest part.

I lift weights regularly 3-4x a week . Problem with me is I eat like no tomorrow so I stay at a 36-37" waist with a gut , but I'm working on a cut now and should be down to a 34" waist by summer .

I deadlift 275 and bench about the same

1 rep max

A lot of people think running is the way to get rid of fat and weightlifting is the way to build muscle. Weightlifting actually accomplishes both goals rather effectively.

Weightlifting will not get rid of fat nearly as well as doing some decent cardio (30 minutes+ 3+ days of the week @ 75-85% maxHR). The calories burned during lifting, yes, even HEAVY lifting, are going to be 1/4 or at best 1/2 those from cardio.

Weightlifting will not get rid of fat nearly as well as doing some decent cardio (30 minutes+ 3+ days of the week @ 75-85% maxHR). The calories burned during lifting, yes, even HEAVY lifting, are going to be 1/4 or at best 1/2 those from cardio.

Correction , you should be at max between 60 at 70% of your VO2 max to burn some fat, once you get over those 70% you'll mostly burn glucose.

Correction , you should be at max between 60 at 70% of your VO2 max to burn some fat, once you get over those 70% you'll mostly burn glucose.

That's a common misconception which equiptment makers have helped make popular with "Fat burning zone" programs on their machines. while technically true that going at that HR range will directly burn fat, it takes so long and burns so little that you are much better off going at a high intensity because it burns much more calories (and thus fat) during the same time period.

That's a common misconception which equiptment makers have helped make popular with "Fat burning zone" programs on their machines. while technically true that going at that HR range will directly burn fat, it takes so long and burns so little that you are much better off going at a high intensity because it burns much more calories (and thus fat) during the same time period.

I'm sorry to tell you you're wrong...:(

Yeah, what do I know? I just have a degree in exercise physiology and make fat people fit for a living.

...or you could get educated: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_n2_v15/ai_19205605

or maybe here http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

or here http://gotathletictraining.com/TheFatBurningZoneTheoryDuringExerciseisFlawed.php

or any number of research articles published on the subject- that is, if you care about knowing what you're talking about instead of wallowing in smug ignorance.

Yeah, what do I know? I just have a degree in exercise physiology and make fat people fit for a living.

...or you could get educated: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_n2_v15/ai_19205605

Don't want to sound like a cock, but this my job too and your article is more than 10 years old!!!

If this is your job , you should know that you can't rely on articles older than 5 years. Sorry

Then show me some newer published research articles showing that low intensity exercise provides more health benefits than high intensity exercise or HIIT.

Don't want to sound like a cock, but this my job too and your article is more than 10 years old!!!

If this is your job , you should know that you can't rely on articles older than 5 years. Sorry

Also, I don't see what the first article being 5 years old has anything do with the second two being "unreliable" when they quote studies from 2006.

Find me some recently published articles show low intensity exercise provides more health benefits than high intensity exercise or HIIT and I will admit that you're right, then promptly send said articles to our company's research associate and tell him that we need to update our training principles becuase we've been doing it wrong.

From Science direct

Title:Optimizing fatoxidation through exercise and diet

Juul Achten PhDand Asker E. Jeukendrup PhD

School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Available online 19 June 2004

Endurance training and fat oxidation

Endurance training can markedly increase fat oxidation during submaximal exercise. Data from cross-sectionaland longitudinal studies have supported the notion that training reduces the reliance on CHO as an energy source, thereby increasing fat oxidation during submaximal exercise. Most training studies have been performed in young lean males, but the observed increase in fat oxidation is not confined to this specific group. Similar observations have been made in women, elderly persons, and obese individuals. Further, increases in fat oxidation with training have been reported when trained and untrained individuals were compared at the same absolute and relative exercise intensities. This was shown in an elegant study by Friedlander et al. who measured substrate use in a group of eight untrained women before and after a 12-wk training program. Subjects V 2max was increased by 20% after training. Before training, subjects performed a trial at 65% of V2max, after training, the subjects performed two additional trials, one at the same absolute workload as the pretraining trial and one at the same relative intensity. RER decreased significantly from 0.91 to 0.86 at the same absolute intensity and decreased to 0.88 at the same relative intensity.

Differences found in fat oxidation at the same relative exercise intensity can be partly explained by the fact that the trained individuals are exercising at a higher absolute work rate. When cycling at 62% of V2max, moderately-trained cyclists had fat oxidation rates of 0.48 ± 0.15 g · min−1, and this rate was 0.56 ± 0.14 g · min−1 in well-trained cyclistsDespite this relatively large difference in the absolute rate of fat oxidation, the relative contribution of fat oxidation to total energy expenditure was 30% in both groups.

To the best of our knowledge no studies have investigated which training is most effective in inducing changes in fat metabolism. practical point of view to know what the minimum amount of daily activity or training required to induce a measurable change iThe effects of intensity and duration of training programs on fat oxidation should be investigated to predict such changes. Also, it would be important from a n fat oxidation.

Nevertheless, it is clear that endurance training can induce adaptations that result in increased fat oxidation. .

edit: It seems the link doesn't work, go to science direct and look for VO2 max and high intensity training.

Is this the article: Moderate vs. high exercise intensity: Differential effects on aerobic fitness, cardiomyocyte contractility, and endothelial function ?

HIGH and MOD increased VO2max by 71% and 28%, respectively. This was paralleled by intensity-dependent cardiomyocyte hypertrophy, 14% and 5% in HIGH and MOD, respectively. Cardiomyocyte function (fractional shortening) increased by 45% and 23%, contraction rate decreased by 43% and 39%, and relaxation rate decreased by 20% and 10%, in HIGH and MOD, respectively. Ca2 + transient time-courses paralleled contraction/relaxation, whereas Ca2 + sensitivity increased 40% and 30% in HIGH and MOD, respectively. Carotid artery endothelial function improved similarly with both intensities. EC50 for acetylcholine-induced relaxation decreased 4.3-fold in HIGH (p < 0.05) and 2.8-fold in MOD (p < 0.20) as compared to sedentary; difference HIGH versus MOD 1.5-fold (p = 0.72). Multiple regression identified rate of systolic Ca2 + increase and diastolic myocyte relengthening as main variables associated with VO2max. Cell hypertrophy, contractility and vasorelaxation also correlated significantly with VO2max.Conclusions

The present study demonstrates that cardiovascular adaptations to training are intensity-dependent. A close correlation between VO2max, cardiomyocyte dimensions and contractile capacity suggests significantly higher benefit with high intensity, whereas endothelial function appears equivalent at moderate levels. Thus, exercise intensity emerges as an important variable in future preclinical and clinical investigations.

That article says that higher intensity = more benefits, but what you're arguing is that low-moderate range (fat burning zone) is more effective at weight loss than higher intensity exercise, yes?