Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Someone asked earlier but I didn't see anyone answer, what resources would you recommend for someone trying to start making leathercraft?

All the pieces seen have a very similar feel, is this from an instructional or just reverse engineering pieces?

I'd love to start this stuff.

Start off slow, it's easy to spend a lot of money on tools. I'd just get an awl, some nice waxed thread, some middle-quality 5oz leather, some snaps, and some nice measuring and cutting tools.

I learned by looking at tons of pictures. If you're good at taking things apart and putting them back together you can probably learn this way. I didn't make much use of websites or books, but others may have recommendations in that vein.

Here's a piece I made last night in honor of Jun at Zipangu (who is truly a master of the craft):

img0182mk1.jpg

img0183es6.jpg

Pictures are kinda crappy this time, but it's an awesome card case and coin purse.

thanks unlucky. i find my self with a lot of down time at my new job. my coworkers are knitting and crocheting, and was about to take that hobby on, but now have decided to leatherwork on my free time. kitting can come later.

i'm looking into the tools you mentioned. i'm gonna start by making belts, bracelets and simple wallets. i'm not such a huge fan of these japanese raw leather stuff, but i i'm really liking the weirder kinds of things like washed wrinkly destroyed leather from the likes of mr olive :

405_Big.jpg

405.2b.jpg

405.3b.jpg

407_Big.jpg

407.4b.jpg

the belts look like they use some pretty heavy oz leather, whereas the wallet looks to be lighter in weight. also the stitching seems thinner on these wallets than you would get using an awl, do you think they just used a sewing machine? is that possible?

can anyone recommend what size tools i should get for making something like above?

i'm gonna have to look into soaking and twisting leather too. do you think people do this distressing before or after assembly? what types of leather and what weight?

does leather shrink? how does one take that into consideration?

plus rep for helping leather newb.

I'll bet those are distressed after they're made. Wrinkling leather isn't hard. Just get it wet and crunch it up. It will look just like the pictures if you use veg tanned stuff. You can get it as light as 2 oz. I hand sew all of my stuff, but I''ve got a home sewing machine and it will go through garment leather pretty easy. You do have to get a leather needle and use stronger thread. I forgot to mention another tool that is indispensable for me -- wing dividers. You can get a good pair at Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks. I'd say the smaller the size, the better, for tools - especially edgers.

I'm not quite sure where to put this but I thought that I'd get the best help here.

So I got a leather backpack from ebay and it came with these spots on the leather. Does anyone know what I can do to make them disappear/less visible?

eBay3972.jpg

Tandy is a great place to start, they have a good selection, and often times you can get bits of nice quality scrap. Great for getting your feet wet.

I often wear a pair of jeans without belt loops, so I've come up with a few little things to help me carry what I carry without a belt to hang things from.

img0211yl2.jpg

img0203bx8.jpg

Made this yesterday. It's hard to snap the snap when there's nothing inside, but I really like it. Turned out nice, and it should be really durable.

Toe strap for attachment because it's quicker than a buckle. Quick is nice when you have to take it off to lock up.

img0219hi1.jpg

img0220yr8.jpg

img0221xg2.jpg

img0222bc9.jpg

DOPE

I want one :(

What jeans are you wearing those pics?

Tandy is a great place to start, they have a good selection, and often times you can get bits of nice quality scrap. Great for getting your feet wet.

I often wear a pair of jeans without belt loops, so I've come up with a few little things to help me carry what I carry without a belt to hang things from.

img0211yl2.jpg

img0203bx8.jpg

Staying on topic.

dcuesx.jpg

Finished this sometime last week.

I'm having a friend who rides nearly everywhere give it a good beating to see how well it holds up/ages. He's loving it.

Even better- a local shop saw this recently and said they'd pay me to make a few for their stock, which is pretty exciting for me.

Kranky, looks like those loops need to be smaller?

I probably should have attached it to my seat properly prior to taking the picture. The loops are adjustable, but you're right. It looks a bit dangly like that. heh.

hollows - kicks arse.

I wish this thread got as much attention as the evolution thread. :/