OptimaDies

A few wallets I just finished:

6951046107_dc27352b93.jpg

6804933308_4d9ae90f2a.jpg

Clockwise from top left.

1. Cognac Shell Cordovan

2. Natural Shell Cordovan

3. Chromexcel horsebutt in some dark brown color

4. Tan dyed veg tan horse butt outside with natural veg tan goat inside and red dupioni silk lining.

Any comments appreciated.

Andrew

Great looking wallets! Though looks like the card pockets in the dark brown chromexcel are leaving an impression on the other side?

No. I used that wallet for a day or so and the credit cards left an impression. Some leathers definitely mark more than others.

Andrew

Really good craftsmens topic!

Ive been working with leather since end of january this year. Never worked on leather before, only garments. After 1 month og intensive research and making samples, cutting, shaping, detailworks, i now discover how beautiful leather can be. I'll post some pics when im more confident about me work.

Greets from Oslo, cap of norway!

hey guys, another hardware question...

i'm looking for some copper sam brown buttons. i need to put one right next to a copper rivet on a design i'm working on, and i hate the look of copper and brass/silver together. anyone have any good ideas or good sources? i've been looking online for about an hour. i could replace the rivet with some stitching or something, but i love using the rivets in a functional role whenever possible and stitching just wouldn't be the same...

i know copper isn't very strong, but i think it would be ok in this design.

hey guys, another hardware question...

i'm looking for some copper sam brown buttons. i need to put one right next to a copper rivet on a design i'm working on, and i hate the look of copper and brass/silver together. anyone have any good ideas or good sources? i've been looking online for about an hour. i could replace the rivet with some stitching or something, but i love using the rivets in a functional role whenever possible and stitching just wouldn't be the same...

i know copper isn't very strong, but i think it would be ok in this design.

I've looked for days for Sam Browne buttons (I was looking for small ones) and I have never come across a copper one. Might be better off thinking about a different alternative. Of course I could be wrong. And if I am, please let me know cause they would be nice.

Andrew

i'm actually making a little bit of headway on this idea - i'll keep you guys posted. i think a giant superfuture collective order may be in the near future. would people be interested if the price was right (looks like it would be)?

Sure would. Also, if anyone knows a good supplier of brass/nickel/copper snaps, I'd be grateful. The Tandy ones kinda suck.

i'm actually making a little bit of headway on this idea - i'll keep you guys posted. i think a giant superfuture collective order may be in the near future. would people be interested if the price was right (looks like it would be)?

Definitely yes. Would you be able to get different sizes?

Andrew

Here's a couple of pieces I had to make for my school portfolio:

Big bag

1_bigbagfront.jpg

2_bigbagside.jpg

Bike wine carry

1_bikebagcorked.jpg

3_bikebagbikeattach.jpg

2_bikebagattach.jpg

Essentially the big bag can be worn as a backpack, as a messenger bag, or with no straps. I have a blanket roll that I can fit inbetween the big bag and the small bag for some urban sherpa park life.

^ there are plenty of manufactures that will do 1000 to 10,000 Pieces.

But I hope everyone's that says they are in on this realizes this is not a trip to tandy or opening the Weaver catalog.

its still going to be expensive, even as a group buy. Anywhere from $2 to $5 a stud set. .....if we do a smaller order.

Not very cheap at all! So its going to be at least $200 to $500 a person.......

After writing that.....I really don't want to spend that on some sam browns anymore

I talked myself out of it. Haha

Ah, must be different without logos etc. I couldn't find anything domestic that was anywhere close to useable quality at those production numbers for a price that made sense. Ultimately I went with my first choice in Scovill, and they've been a dream to work with. Yes, I'll have enough snaps to last a few years or more, but the cost was way cheaper than the nearest quote of half volume.

I can't imagine the price of such a small production run with setup costs though- you'd be looking at a $.20 snap costing $4 without running a large quantity. I could see if they could run me a few thousand plain snaps in my copper finish, that might make sense for everyone?

Here's a couple of pieces I had to make for my school portfolio:

Big bag

Bike wine carry

Essentially the big bag can be worn as a backpack, as a messenger bag, or with no straps. I have a blanket roll that I can fit inbetween the big bag and the small bag for some urban sherpa park life.

Nice bag. Do you have some shots of the interior?

Andrew

Ok, so here's what I've been working on. I don't think that solid copper sam brown studs would be an affordable option, at least not that I can find. And with copper being so soft and pliable, I don't think they'd work very well anyways. But I have gotten in touch with a guy who does copper plating, and it sounds like something that would be actually pretty affordable to copper plate a bunch of brass sam browns. His minimum order was only 300, and I think they would come out to around $1.50 to $2.00 a piece. That price would include the cost of the brass hardware and the copper plating. The plating can be applied at any thickness from .00005" to .0035" (pop cans are .003" thick). I was thinking somewhere around .002". How many people would be interested? I'll probably do an order of 300 myself at some point, but let me know if we want to do this sooner. I'm not in any rush.