Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Say hello to Jim from Mainelineleathers

If you create the stitches he does (of left, one right), a small knot will form in between the two pieces of leather. From my experience this creates a slightly ofset stitch on behalf of slightly more strength - meaning; don't do it.

Say hello to Jim from Mainelineleathers

If you create the stitches he does (of left, one right), a small knot will form in between the two pieces of leather. From my experience this creates a slightly ofset stitch on behalf of slightly more strength - meaning; don't do it.

The offset gives a nice roped look. Super straight stitching can look to obvious and pronounced in it's quest for perfection if you ask me.

5655039888_b3d49469fb_z.jpg

I have been finding it hard to find the time to do much leather at the moment because I have been starting school again, but today I spent some time finishing some cardholders. The design is very basic and simple - it fits in a regular shirt pocket perfectly and you can put 4-6 cards in it.

6109509953_167bdfe5cd_z.jpg

IMG_3551 by tuntelder, on Flickr

6109511419_8d144c32c2_z.jpg

IMG_3543 by tuntelder, on Flickr

6109512479_7df2180e10_z.jpg

IMG_3545

6110060368_d5a6ffcf33_z.jpg

IMG_3546 by tuntelder, on Flickr

I made the "THINK" one for a good friend of mine as a birthday present. I did it because I was thinking of the old thinkpad that IBM originally did.

And here are some pictures of my temporary workplace in the basement of our town house. This is just a part of my tools collection. I try not to make too much of a mess, as it is a shared basement. I kinda envy the space that some of you guys have. I have been meaning to set up a more permanent space, but I'm trying to figure out, what I need and where to get it. I definitely need more machines and powertools :cool:

6110061276_8eb008f615_z.jpg

IMG_3536 by tuntelder, on Flickr

6110060856_d4f515a0ea_z.jpg

IMG_3538 by tuntelder, on Flickr

What do you guys want for your workspace?

building my workspace out now after the week from hell- new place was totally destroyed when we moved in, I had to redo the bathroom in a day (scrape, paint, new fixtures, etc.), then the kitchen and living room the next, and finally got my workshop's walls patched and painted today. Building it out, I'm looking forward to a nice big standing height work table large enough to cut fabric patterns on, storage for back stock, and lots of cool/inspirational things on the walls. There are a few nice windows, and The thing I like most is my bedroom space is right off it, but closed off- no more working in a bedroom!

getting married this Saturday, so i made some simple and clean cardholders for my groomsmen gifts. this was a super fun project. the design was pretty much a straight rip off of a Alden shell Cordovan cardholder i have lusted after for years

6125176357_4844c986cb_z.jpg

6125720082_73f4db9916_z.jpg

6125176381_25420ff6eb_z.jpg

6125176253_38739df6a6_z.jpg

from left to right:

Cigar shell cordovan (for the best man)

Espresso CXL Horsehide

Burgandy brown CXL Horsehide

Natural CXL

Huntsman CXL

So last night I had a whim to make my new card design but change it a bit and do my first dye job on the Veg Tanned leather... I used Cordovan as the color. I think I like the old design better, but I do like the leather with some color. FWI: Don't stitch late at night as my one side turned out not so good... Plus, my rivet setter made a mark on the leather! lesson is, don't make leather goods after drinking or when you're sleepy.

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

I like the design and flap shape. My only suggestion is to make the taper on the flap a little later so it fully covers the card slot, I think it will look a bit cleaner. Just my suggestion.

But over all well done. And I am liking all the designs you have come up with so far. Would rep I could. :)