Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

well it's not working yet, and as you can see, there's not much room for it in my garage, but there is enough room for it.... I wish I could have kept the leather he had too, but it was really moldy.... boxes and boxes of shoe leather.... all colors...

My mom used to do upholstery for a living, she's got a serious industrial machine. I have essentially no experience sewing with anything but my hands, but some day I want to make some bags with that beast.

Some day!

I want to give everyone a heads up that I'm going to be away from home for a while, doing some traveling, and I won't be available for leather projects. If you're interested in hearing about my return, just subscribe to my supermarket thread, and I'll give the heads up there.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up to when I get back! You all rock.

i feel so small compared to the great things that have been going on in this thread recently, thought i'd post a small tidbit i'd added to my belt for EDC purposes (i know there's a few of you here who are also active in that thread)

Was tired of using my belt loop to hang keys so I decided to clip straight to the belt. Just attached a small Dee ring with a strip of leather and 2 rivets. Works perfectly for what I intended.

2cdheg4.jpg

f50 Nice upgrade! thats a really great idea. I can think of a couple applications that I can use this technique for. Thanks for sharing.

I also need a walking foot. I enjoy handsewing but I don't think i'll sew another jacket anytime soon. People ask me how much for the coat and I usually just laugh because I know these people are expecting me to say around $200. The leather was close to 3. most people I know don't get it. So for the most part, the majority of what I have posted here is a private collection.

Good luck on the sewing machine. That thing looks tough.

Nice work everyone! And I have to say, that is one awesome sewing machine for leather :)

Some of my recent work.

Cardholders

DinDinCardCashCoinHolder1.jpg

TriCardHolder1.jpg

Thick Bi-Fold

JaneVegTanBifoldWallet1.jpg

Wallet Rein, Native American Style

ApacheWalletReinV22.jpg

Wallets

V4DArtVegTanMidWallet1.jpg

PuffBlackLongWallet1.jpg

Ammo Pouch, able to hang on belt or go-through on belt

VegAmmoPouch.jpg

Is anyone using a swivel knife to cut the curves and rounded edges or are you just using a normal knife and doing it very carefully?

Edit: I guess using sharp scissors would also make some decent curved cuts too. Can someone weigh in?

I use a paring knife :) For curved edges, I prefer to use something that isn't super sharp so I have better control over the cut. I have to go back over the cut a few times, but I feel like it comes out better in the long run.

I'm not supposed to have a FS thread on here unless I want to sponsor it, which is understandable.

I, or anyone else for that matter, cannot advertise goods for sale in a manner that resembles a business. That's just the forum rules. That is, unless I want to have a sponsored thread. I have been told that I can post photos of stuff that I make, though.

I think my other posts were deleted, so I'll repost some of the stuff I've been having fun making lately. Here are a couple different card cases:

cardcases01sm.jpg

cardcases01bsm.jpg

cardcases02sm.jpg

cardcasesopensm.jpg

And several different keyhook designs.

keyhook01sm.jpg

keyhook02sm.jpg

keyhook03sm.jpg

keyhook05sm.jpg

keyhook04sm.jpg

The keyhooks fit nicely inside my back pocket.

4140708501_f3f208e50b_o.jpg

I don't think I ever posted a photo of this belt that I made, so here it is after about 6 months of wear. If you do it right, you only need one hole :)

qrbeltsm.jpg

here's some new stuff from me. I've been working with waxed leathers and really trying to bring a little more new england style into my work. the travel pouch is actually around 10" x 5", it's hard to get scale by the picture.

4418803657_5bb4f932d7.jpg

4418804131_6639da2b94.jpg

4418804017_08caa49122.jpg

more of these next ones to come. I wanted to do something completely different, so I learned how to carve a little bit. then I painted with dyes and a bit of acrylic leather white stuff. Then I tanned, then I oiled, then i made em. I like to imagine a sailor might have made them on a long voyage home, when there was no wind to be felt for weeks. It's quite literal, but a stepping stone to further thinking.

4418804199_1ecc5f3807.jpg

4419570312_cbfa6deb5b.jpg

there's a bunch more on my flickr of other projects: www.flickr.com/photos/thisishome