In Hedi Slimane news...

jaspar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might have trouble creating a new identity but I don't doubt he's capable of it, he's shown that he has been, and can be, a very talented and creative designer.

Well said.

I view Hedi as a designer in an artistic sense moreso than in a fashion one (which I cannot say about Tom Ford, Christopher Bailey, etc). He not only works with the clothes, show, and advertisting of his lines but also fuctions in the "art world" as a respectable figure. Additionally, his FW07/08 show is among the only ones that establishes a memorable mood through lighting, music, and visuals. Maybe it's just "Navigate, Navigate," but I like to think it's Hedi's brilliant vision.

So, yeah. He's capable of creating a new identity.

I'm so excited. I'm worried that the prices are going to be ridiculous, though. The quality went down in later dior homme seasons because the products were just getting too expensive to produce and sell at a reasonable profit for LVMH. If he goes all out on quality, i will be happy, but then again, i don't want to be spending 5 thousand dollars instead of 2 thousand on a jacket. I wonder how the womens clothes will turn out, too.

not that big of a surprise; seems rappers love to hypebeast higher end stuff, possibly because it makes them feel more upscale i dunno. we all know how much kanye west is into it (and lanvin). there's pics of lupe fiasco somewhere here with dior hightops too

but actually reading the article, it looks like it is 3 mini interviews:

- Jay-Z

- FREDERIC FEKKAI whoever he is

- Hedi Slimane

i hope he starts fuckin with silhouettes and proportions more...completely revamp his shit and dont even touch mod/rocker/skin type stuff.

Touching on that stuff is exactly how he's made his name - even if he wants to rework the artistic value of his designs he can surely keep elements of those without too many adverse effects?

not that big of a surprise; seems rappers love to hypebeast higher end stuff, possibly because it makes them feel more upscale i dunno. we all know how much kanye west is into it (and lanvin). there's pics of lupe fiasco somewhere here with dior hightops too

i don't understand why it's considered hypebeasting when a rapper does it... what do you call it when you like to buy higher-end stuff?

although i may just be speaking in terms of "urban" kids who buy stuff that rappers do as opposed to the rappers themselves, i don't think i'd be out of line to say that they buy it just for the name.

i know fashion sometimes takes from the streets, but at least where i am, kids flock to bape and evisu and red monkey (fake or not) because of rappers name dropping it. they follow what's popular and hyped up, without actually liking the styling. isn't that more or less the definition of a hypebeast?

i guess they could possibly actually like the prints on their back pockets and shit, but from what i can gather, they buy the loudest clothes that show off with the most signature logos.

i personally couldn't really care less who made the clothes, as long as it looks good to me. if i get into a new high end fashion designer, i don't go buying the stuff with logos to get props for having an item from them (example: dior homme bee tie)

but actually reading the article, it looks like it is 3 mini interviews:

- Jay-Z

- FREDERIC FEKKAI whoever he is

- Hedi Slimane

Ah yeah ur right :P

although i may just be speaking in terms of "urban" kids who buy stuff that rappers do as opposed to the rappers themselves, i don't think i'd be out of line to say that they buy it just for the name.

i know fashion sometimes takes from the streets, but at least where i am, kids flock to bape and evisu and red monkey (fake or not) because of rappers name dropping it. they follow what's popular and hyped up, without actually liking the styling. isn't that more or less the definition of a hypebeast?

i guess they could possibly actually like the prints on their back pockets and shit, but from what i can gather, they buy the loudest clothes that show off with the most signature logos.

i personally couldn't really care less who made the clothes, as long as it looks good to me. if i get into a new high end fashion designer, i don't go buying the stuff with logos to get props for having an item from them (example: dior homme bee tie)

i think youre an idiot.

and not just because you don't know frederic fekkai.

i think youre an idiot.

and not just because you don't know frederic fekkai.

better that than have me pretend i know him

I don't know Frederic Fekkai.

Should I?

yeah, i'm interested. what is so special about this particular celebrity hair stylist? =/

meh, its just because im a know-it-all-new-yorker... there's nothing fantastically wonderful about him, i suppose... he's very mayjah within the beauty industry. very. but i suppose a bunch of scruffy dudes don't really care or need to know. carry on not knowing.

as far as why you're truly a bit of an idiot, ironman, that entire diatribe about urban kids is just hilariously underthought. you seem to think that these feeble-minded 'urban' folk have no choice but to buy whatever their favorite rapper wears, rather than understanding the simple idea that anyone belonging to any subculture is going to seek to emulate the dress code that is prescribed by that subculture. not to mention socio-economic issues that come into play. in this case, the a recurring trend in hip hop culture, yes, is showing off logos and being loud. is that really such an affront on your personal taste that you have to struggle to understand why people would actively choose to dress that way?

as far as why you're truly a bit of an idiot, ironman, that entire diatribe about urban kids is just hilariously underthought. you seem to think that these feeble-minded 'urban' folk have no choice but to buy whatever their favorite rapper wears, rather than understanding the simple idea that anyone belonging to any subculture is going to seek to emulate the dress code that is prescribed by that subculture. not to mention socio-economic issues that come into play. in this case, the a recurring trend in hip hop culture, yes, is showing off logos and being loud. is that really such an affront on your personal taste that you have to struggle to understand why people would actively choose to dress that way?

i wrote urban in quotes because i live in suburbia. i don't see any economic issues; if you come up here to Markham and look at the houses, they're about $400,000+. i guess that's the main reason why it pisses me off; there are so many high school kids (and drop outs) who pay decent money for street clothes to look like they're one class lower than their parents have worked so hard to not be. does that make any sense? =/

i do not think i would be complaining if i was still living downtown in Regent Park, where people are poor and it's just kind of how things are. it's not that i necessarily hate said subculture (or any, actually), i just feel that you can't really (or at least shouldn't?) buy your way into being street/urban/etc.

for example, i'm pretty sure everyone would give me shit if i started to dress and act like a skinhead, racism and all, knowing i live uptown and my family's general social status etc.

and on a side note, so is frederic fekkai more or less the celebrity hair stylist?

first of all, thanks for being reasonable.

second, thanks for the background on where you actually live. when you said urban, i actually did figure you were living in some of toronto's slummier areas and were just trying to find a nice way to say "these fucking sneaker-guzzling scumbuckets need to go"

i totally understand where youre coming from now.

in other news, you should totally dress like a skinhead. and, fekkai isn't really all that popular as a celebrity hairstylist right now as much as he is remembered for styling hair for countless runway shows during fashion weeks all over the world.

• 3 weeks later...
I have no clue what that even means...

...Anyway. I just find it funny that with the talk of Hedi coming back into the fold for Menswear and the recent atrocious collections from KVA, all one can look forward to is jeans. But hey, that's just me...

That's pretty much been my only interest and concern as well. Can't wait to see the new denim!!