australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

I've bought from stores in Belgium who pre-filled in VAT-return forms, which I had to get stamped by customs locally, and then mail back so they could refund the Vat. They charged 30 EUR for the service, and I think my VAT owing was around 60 EUR, and I don't think I ever got around to it.

Similar to Flock, I bought from a store who marked the goods at full value, not the ~60% off sale price that I paid. I raised the intention to claim with FedEx, paid fees, hassled the online store for an amended invoice, and about 3 weeks later got the refund (minus a processing charge from FedEx).

Yoox are the biggest assholes though. They mark up the price of goods for our region, and don't discount the VAT, but when you get the invoice, no VAT was paid - i.e. they pocket the 17.5%.

there were pics!?

my internet skills are lacking atm, I cannot wait to be done with uni this year, so busy with end of semester assignments it isn't even funny anymore.

speaking of which, who was the dude on Oak Lawn today rocking the Rick Owen hightops? (Uni of WA) He has to be a lurker haha

edit: epic lol at SZ shitstorm, sigh such an overreaction.

that pair is with me now wept ;)

i love it and been rocking it a LOT. it goes with everything and probably the best pair of shorts i've got. that doesnt really say much though coz i only got like 2-3 pairs hah.

only annoying thing is that they dont have back pockets T_T

what size you rocking melvin. im a 31 waist but i norm get jeans in a 30-31 and stretch em to a 31. cant work out if need an M or an S

im normally not a shorts man but ive had a thing for those for awhile. ive never bothered to look into it though...until now.

i wear size 30 in everything and i got an XS... its a bit tight around the waist so im guessing you would be better off with an S. They dont stretch but u dont want to get them too big either.

yeow finally copped some drkshdw jeans. a pair of distressed white grosgrain and black waxed detroits! cant wait.

JV - you should post in that thread you know a lot of random crap regarding taxes etc !

I was going to, but it's a pretty no-win discussion. Customers vs. stores, both have their own agenda, then you add in the moral grey-area of marking down the value of the goods.

I don't have a strong feeling either way on marking down shipments. If you look at how much the goods are actually worth (i.e. raw materials, labour), there isn't a significant value. If you look at how much the goods would be worth on the open market, to the average consumer, or without the cache of the designers brand, the value in comparison to the RRP is fractional.

The challenges: shipping insurance. You're playing Russian roulette when you decide to mark $2000 worth of goods as $99. Lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed - there isn't a lot of recourse. And unless a customer has specifically asked for it to be written down, I would think the store is somewhat liable, even if they were trying to do a customer a favour.

The tax should be discounted on international orders though. I do see that as a 'right', not a luxury. It was the first feature I implemented in my online shop for that reason. Shipping outside of Australia? 10% GST deducted automatically.

LVR does it based on the location of the visitor, Antonioli advertises the ex-VAT price up front. UK stores like Matches and Browns do too. I've always been pissy at Oki-Ni for not having it integrated.

For physical stores in the high-end/luxury arena, I think it's good customer service to understand the VAT processing rules inside your country, and dealing internationally. Administratively if you've got tax/legal/papertrail/compliance issues, sort out a solution or a workaround.

I think it's good customer service to act as a concierge; i.e. shipping the goods where the customer needs them, and I think it is good customer service to mark down the value of the goods on request of the customer.

If you've got a worldwide profile, don't act like its an unwanted headache and don't take it for granted that you did a big September and a bigger October.