australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

i dunno man.. everytime i see the obscur jacket.. it really makes me uncomfortable (for real), it just looks really unbalanced. the pockets and those seams (running diagonally on each side of the zipper from the neck to the hips), just looks really poorly designed.

...sorry i couldnt hold it in any longer

i love chant (nohomo). his look may be looked down upon by people for being unusual and slightly odd but i think he does his part in pushing looks further here on SUFU and especially on SZ.

and in regards to his hair, i must be one of the few that like it.

yeah fair enough bt he's probably a great guy, I just get this slightly obvious pretentious vibe that annoys me slightly.

I look forward to seein ur RO buy bt!

On the paris front, I think I would enjoy being there during fashion week and may aim to do so in a few years while I go on an OS jaunt.

too much chant love haha, I guess I can't see his style applied to Australian culture so it comes across as trying too hard.

i cant see his style working in OZ either but i take into account his current location and its all good. ;)

if someone lived in Africa, was decked out in RO/CCP and surrounded by starving bloated children id hate it. to me, thats unforgivable.

haha not really sure i can agree with you. Not that it wouldn't be unforgiveable, but that there's a difference between the two situations (a gothninja in paris vs a gothninja in africa). location doesnt seem to make it any better/worse for someone to consume in that fashion.

no doubt rick leathers are well made, although I don't think the quality of the leather used justifies the price at times. quality control in terms of the pieces output is excellent too, however the wild sizing inconsistencies are something of an odd occurrence (eg. the S RO high collar was smaller than the same jacket in XS) for mass produced items. fit wise I think (well I know from personal experience) that rick jackets can be quite hit and miss, they seem to favour a more athletic body type, perhaps modeled after rick himself. true he did start as a pattern maker, although his tailored pieces up until the FW09.10 collection were more than slightly questionable...

design wise tastes in jackets is obviously purely subjective. I can understand if you don't like the design of the obscur leather as it is quite a distinct design, I'm not really a fan of either the RO high collar or scuba jacket designs.

the leather used on the obscur jacket is quite distinct to that which is used on RO jackets, it's not possible to tell the quality of the leather from photos alone (for example I think the silky lamb and the gradient leather look cheap in photos). fit wise I don't really see the issue of pulling of the shoulders on the SS08 leather, although there have been visible issues with some of their other pieces, most noticeably with this leather.

haha, bt you're such a tease with all this talk of RO :P

chant's a good guy, always came across as a very friendly and helpful guy. style wise he is quite unique, however I've ceased repping him as his fits have started to all feel the same to me haha.

yeah there may be some sizing issues with rick that i've heard about, but every piece that i've tried and owned has been close to the tagged size

i think a lot of people expect sizing to be quite exact, but standard sizings are most of the time approximates:

standardsizings.jpg

eg. S = chest size is 35" -37" ..and i think someone who is used to garments with 37 inches, and gets a 35 inch (or maybe a tad bit smaller), of course will percieve the jacket to be tight and fit like an XS. not to mention on the f/w leathers the lining is thicker

yeah true, although it is a bit annoying that one may need a size L one season and a size S in another for the same style of jacket haha. I guess I've been spoilt by julius leathers with their consistent sizing (at least for specific styles) and anatomical cut, that still looks sharp even if it is a bit loose.

also, this is purely an aesthetic preference but I straight up just don't like ribbed cuffs on a leather jacket...

hahah i think im opposite, i cant stand with out ribbed cuffs.

and i've realised, as much as i want to like all these japanese brands (like julius, VA, DBSS, Attachment etc) ....i just cant? (except for one or two pieces)

thing with ribbed cuffs is that they'll look worn out and raggedy long before the leather is nicely broken in, prefer all leather for my jackets.

I've definitely got a bias towards japanese labels as I generally prefer their aesthetic, not to mention the way they're cut usually fits me a lot better. after having owned and handled some of the earlier Julius leathers, as well as their other leather goods, everything else feels kinda cheap in comparison haha. still can't wait to get the obscur leather though, the rigid washed cow leather will be unlike anything else :cool:.

you guys are wack.. rick owens leathers are really well made.. that scuba is also on my list of things to get.. it does look good open and closed.

i havnt wanted to say anything, but all this talk about passing on rick and rathering a obscur is crazy. to be totally honest that obscur is hella ugly, and looks cheap to me, in all the pics i've seen, it really looks awkward worn, pulls really weird at the chest-shoulders.

i've inspected my RO leather quite thoroughly, and every single stitch, seam, pocket, dart, is immaculately done. even the lining has darts (which is on the inside and wont ever be seen by anyone, except the wearer). materials like the leather, woven cuffs, 3 different types of lining all feel luxurious.

rick started off as a pattern maker, and you can really tell, every single seam and dart is well positioned. also the factory is probably filled with old people with a load of experience in making garments.

in my opinion there is no way you can choose an obscur over rick owens.

bt, i say go for it.

Not to come across as harsh, but most of this seasons Strutter RO is wack (not just his leathers either). Not to say all of it, but all of the blistered lamb jackets are shite, Gradient Tyvek/blistered lamb is the ugly as, the shearling are even uglier and don't get me started on the washed goatskin abomination, especially the coats.. WTF!!! Also many of the previous season RO leathers are on a whole other level of wack!

Strutter saving grace.

Silky lambskin is the only saving grace

2864999591_5b31c25fa8_o.jpg

+T!s

I wish i could find some better pics of the washed/distressed goatskin coat abomination

Not to come across as harsh, but most of this seasons Strutter RO is wack (not just his leathers either). Not to say all of it, but all of the blistered lamb jackets are shite, Gradient Tyvek/blistered lamb is the ugly as, the shearling are even uglier and don't get me started on the washed goatskin abomination, especially the coats.. WTF!!! Also many of the previous season RO leathers are on a whole other level of wack!

Strutter saving grace.

Silky lambskin is the only saving grace

2864999591_5b31c25fa8_o.jpg

+T!s

I wish i could find some better pics of the washed/distressed goatskin coat abomination

haha, blunt by I agree ;). tbh I think the silky lamb looks cheap/plasticy in photos (NY and jap), no real texture to the leather at all. I was under the impression that lowrey's moto was from SS08 like T's? definitely prefer the stonewashed lambskin from that season...

Guys, where can I get, from town, shoe trees? And how much will they set me back?

Ikea sell plastic bendy ones, not sure where you would get higher quality wooden one's, but most cobblers should sell something to do the trick.

in reply to leather jacket discussion, I liked the high neck and rick's jacket style recently also, although I havent had a chance to take a good look at these in person.

I think it's good the rick experiments with different leathers and finishes, rather than necessarily always going for the traditionally higher quality skins.

While on the topic of prices: there certainly is a gap between RO and the limeted edition Obscur, which is definitely something to consider. But lets not pretend that the RO price tag comes purely because of the materials, however nice they may be.

That being said, I don't hate the gradient leather posted before (the cut is fantastic, does it come in plain black? I would definately cop).

As for the ribebd cuff debate, I like both with and without. I like the way a leather jacket with ribbed cuffs can be dressed down really well, and I like the way that jackets without can get a great stacked effect on the sleeves, and look better with layers showing underneath.