supergay hotrods, rat stylz, beaters and rust

Tarmac

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"rat style" reminds me of uggs

just like you can go up to a girl and say "DAMN GIRL DEM SHOOZ SURE IS UGGS" and she'll be like "HELL YEAH MY SHOOZ IS UGGS"

dunno where im going with that but rat style or whatever looks like you're the kind of guy who has a minimum wage job and then blows his entire paycheck on a high end cell phone

if you were talking about rat style, thats of course slightly different. its popular in europe but some elements are incorporated from american hot rods and such, among others. on older cars it can be a lot more of a crappy, beatup style. personally I like it, I've always like old cars and theres something interesting in making old crappy cars look fun and beatup at the same time. buts it not everyones thing of course.

I think girls who wear uggs fit better in some import style cars, though

It must be a generational gap?

It's pretty easy to go out now in 2007 and buy a car off a dealer's lot that looks and goes the tits, but 10-15 years ago that was limited to a number of hand-built limited production European cars, and if you didn't have what was the equivalent of what was like $100,000 to buy one, you made do. All that is left of that is the same names, but they're no longer the same quality as they once were, because they've started building them for people who don't care.

i just looked up what a rat rod is

thats actually kind of cool in a non-functional way

i think the confusion started with the guy who used "eurostyle" and rat rod in the same sentence.

over here there are two kinds of car mods and they both suck

1) Ricer 2FAST2FURIOUS asian imports with mad spoilers and neon paint jobs.

2) VW Golf GTI with chrome rims that cost more than the car itself.

i just looked up what a rat rod is

thats actually kind of cool in a non-functional way

i think the confusion started with the guy who used "eurostyle" and rat rod in the same sentence.

over here there are two kinds of car mods and they both suck

1) Ricer 2FAST2FURIOUS asian imports with mad spoilers and neon paint jobs.

2) VW Golf GTI with chrome rims that cost more than the car itself.

U dont put chrome rims on vw golf...u put DEEP DISH ..fat wheels on it. Awwww yerr.

Unless I completely missread, how did Rat rods get mixed in to this conversation about cheap European cars???

rat style and some aspects of hot rods have played an influence in certain styling "genres" in european cars, I guess its mostly with VW's. the terms are thrown around pretty loosely though.

But nowadays by the time you have bought all of this crap for your vw, you could also afford an audi or some other car that doesn't make you look like an albanian who hangs out at autobahn gas stations.

its definately not about throwing major money at the car, its actually the complete opposite. you do what you can with what you have. rat style (how its mostly used in european cars) = old, beaten cars that have been styled with in a non serious way. rust, cut up springs, dents, roof racks with suitcases and whatever.

Guest supernoob
And in bike form they can get as extreme as this:

ratbike1fg6.jpg

is this an indian? i remember watching sumthin on teevee bout a bike similar 2 this, that is if it wasnt that specific 1.

its not even about the money at all. i have no idea how much a set of rims for a vw costs. i have no idea how much it costs to make one of those rat rods.

the rat rods are 90% aesthetic (there's also the aspect of creating it of course. i'm sure that while all i see is a half vintage half post-nuclear car, the creator thought of every last detail, sutff i don't even notice). I can't say they're up my alley, but I can appreciate them.

throwing a set of wheels and a spoiler on a golf has little aesthetic value, and the process of creating the result is buying the part and screwing it on.

Eh, it has aesthetic value to those kids. It doesn't stop at spoilers and wheels, and ease of attachment means nothing at all to me. Sidneylo's wtap vans are no hard to put on, pull off or "pull off" than my vans..and the only difference is small print. the difference means something to somebody. same thing.

Mike, link to more info on the "European rats"?

I only know the beatup hotrod and the Mad Max inspired ones.

http://www.hoodride.com

390780132_153ae92b30.jpg

i think we are having 2 separate conversations. i'm talking about this

yea ok thats a different deal. those can, in a way, be considered "euro style", the term in mostly used to differentiate from import style (or whatever it would be called in different countries), which usually has big spoilers, bodykits, tons of fibreglass, wacky paintjobs and so on.

thank god this is supertrash :D

its not even about the money at all. i have no idea how much a set of rims for a vw costs. i have no idea how much it costs to make one of those rat rods.

the rat rods are 90% aesthetic (there's also the aspect of creating it of course. i'm sure that while all i see is a half vintage half post-nuclear car, the creator thought of every last detail, sutff i don't even notice). I can't say they're up my alley, but I can appreciate them.

throwing a set of wheels and a spoiler on a golf has little aesthetic value, and the process of creating the result is buying the part and screwing it on.

http://www.felgen-man.de/clause30a.html

This guy has put a lot more into this car than simply putting on a set of rims and a spoiler, it's a complete car. The parts are as rare as hen's teeth. The fashion equivalent of a car like this is like collecting every single runway piece from a show done like 20 years ago.

You're like 18, right? I can see where you're coming from with all this, but for guys who beast out on details, coincidentally most of superfuture, there's some value to having this rolling collection of rarities. Some guys sit on Yahoo JP Auctions collecting CCP and Julius, some guys collect limited edition car parts made 20 years ago and put them on their cars.

jet, who is a member on this board incidentally, had a significant part in starting a trend like 9 or 10 years ago that swept America, Europe, Australia, it's still going strong today. If you drive down the street in America and see somebody with a black carbon fiber hood on their car or tossing around the term 'JDM', that relates back to him.

http://www.felgen-man.de/clause30a.html

jet, who is a member on this board incidentally, had a significant part in starting a trend like 9 or 10 years ago that swept America, Europe, Australia, it's still going strong today. If you drive down the street in America and see somebody with a black carbon fiber hood on their car or tossing around the term 'JDM', that relates back to him.

really? i had no idea