Mac V Pc?

Guest DUM

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all the one-on-one troubleshooting I've done when I was at an Apple retail store a few years ago... the biggest learning curve is the seemingly roundabout way some of the features OS X operates... I suppose in contrast with Windows on a "PC" box, it just takes some time to learn how things work...

I had a lot of folks confused at why it only took 2 or 3 steps instead of 6 with their Windows OS... especially for switchers they're so used to their OS working a certain way they need time to adjust to a different implementation of the same thing.

Of course that's just one way to look at it.

Though when I worked IT for windows users at NYU's Bobst Library, most of my calls were about changing their wallpapers back to normal because they changed it to a web clip of lol cats.

I'm in training to become a Genius at Apple now and it's amazing the kind of things people will bring in to get fixed. Especially with the iPhone and everything it's certainly become a lot busier because some people just don't understand.

I used to work tech support at UPenn like two years ago and people were fucking CONSTANTLY unable to do shit because they had installed browser plugins like the one made by AOL or popup shit or asking if I could set up their new system so they could have admin access on a huge server so they could install a couple of games to entertain themselves.

I'm in training to become a Genius at Apple now and it's amazing the kind of things people will bring in to get fixed. Especially with the iPhone and everything it's certainly become a lot busier because some people just don't understand.

I used to work tech support at UPenn like two years ago and people were fucking CONSTANTLY unable to do shit because they had installed browser plugins like the one made by AOL or popup shit or asking if I could set up their new system so they could have admin access on a huge server so they could install a couple of games to entertain themselves.

kiosk machine ftw

uPenn was entirely based on windows servers. The guy who asked if I'd put games on there for him worked in a medical research facility for uPenn that researched obesity. He asked for admin access to the machine, and didn't understand what a server was. Even the publishing department which was almost entirely mac based, ran off a window server. Which fucked shit up good when it came time to transfer a quark file from someone on 10.4 to 10.3 with a large collection of third party fonts based out of suitcase. Fuck man.

Yeah you can still sell it for a good price if it ain't too OG... prices aren't holding what they used to but it's still better than selling a pc laptop.

My 15" 1.5/1.5gb/combo probably worth about 600 still... though I'm giving it to my SO. Not sure what yours is worth if you have an older 12" though.

They just bumped it with the new Santa Rosa chipset. Buy now if anything.

For really good backup at a fair price... Other World Computing... http://macsales.com/ always got good deals in pereson at MacWorld in SF... online prices are good too I just got a 500gb FW800 drive.