Fuzzy selvage?

Serge d Nimes

Quote:

I have seen wide loom denim that has a similar looking selvage, could be wide loom? I will try and find some old swatches and post pic's

--- Original message by andewhall on Aug 9, 2005 10:52 PM

Could be the selvedge of wide loom denim with red stitching (can you check if the red line is stitched on top of the fabric or woven in?)

Pics comparing typical wide loom selvedge with shuttle loom selvedge are here:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=817&start=151

Most interesting.

I'd be interested to see photos. The Polish-made Lee 101s I've seen have half-selvage, rather like Serge's signature photo, with the selvage side conventionally woven. I suspect, like ringring, that this is wide-look selvage with stitching added - certainly it would be very easy to do.

Quote:

Seems like false selvage done on a modern wide loom. Probably they put a white line in the middle and divided the wide fabric in two to make it appear to be a narrow loom.

--- Original message by Geowu on Aug 10, 2005 09:23 AM

Yeah G, thats exactly what I think they have done with this denim to make it look like shuttle loom selvage. I have wide loom stuff that traditionally just has indigo finishing then the white frayed edge, but if it was changed to white it would look like shuttle selvage.

Quote:

What is the deal with fuzzy selvage?

1f_1_b.JPG

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Aug 9, 2005 09:23 PM

top picture is wide width fabric with a red stripe woven in to make it look like selvedge. is not selvedge fabric. most wided fabric cones something like this. real narrow width selvedge has a clean finished edge.

sweet-orr