I mean, jeans are nice but....

leftsider

They're not my style. I've always liked the style, but generally bought something else.

I own three pair of jeans; 4 year old Banana Rebublic, 3 year old Gap, and my favorite are a pair I got from H&M about 2 years ago. I'm really impressed with the level of detail attention that the community has when it comes to denim and sneakers.

I'm wondering if there's any other types of clothing that get discussed around here though. I don't own jeans, but when I moved overseas in December:

I gave away 4 suits--leaving me with 3 (individual pants not included).

I gave away 12 dress shirts--leaving me with 15.

I gave away 7 khakis--keeping 4

I don't give away ties--I have 23 here and about 25 in storage.

So is there anyone here who likes similar things? I'm into simple, minialist fashion: Varvatos, Club Monaco, DKNY, Country Road Australia, Armani....with an occasional purchase from Pink, Jos. A. Bank, Brooks Brothers. While I'm learning more about denim I'd love to hear what others have to say about other fashion areas.

I need to have it now

Five minutes of infants' dream

I need to shut it down

In five minutes I'll be completely disconnected

I am into preppy style, but on the 15th I am going on a mission to san jose calif. So I will make the transition to suits. Just suits for two years. I have a nice looking Jos. A. Bank 2 button navy and a black 3 button Boss (I know they are disliked for quality issues, but it looks good and I honestly don't care much how I look).

I have a question though, what kind of dress shoes should I get?

it's all about black slacks, dress shirts, and dress shoes. if you REALLY want to dress to impress, that's the way to go.

the rest of this stuff is just fun. take it from me, You'll get WAY more girls in a nice suit than a 300 dollar supreme tee, rogan jeans, and nike dunks. trust.

that's funny... and true. i'm actually thinking about getting a new suit.. what do you guys think about Zegna? Seems like they are a no brainer for a good priced, best fabric, classic, custom fitting suit..

i plan to do a similar thing when it gets cooler.. where more suits, and dress it up more.

werd.

p.s. jil sander, dior, costume or helmut lang shoes are the way to go.

dig.

i own one suite..... i bought it for a wedding worn it about twice...looks dapper though.... grey with a silver pinstripe rocked with a purple shirt and yellow tie or baby pink shirt and darker pink tie

Edited by witts on Aug 8, 2005 at 12:21 PM

Quote:

that's funny... and true. i'm actually thinking about getting a new suit.. what do you guys think about Zegna? Seems like they are a no brainer for a good priced, best fabric, classic, custom fitting suit..

i plan to do a similar thing when it gets cooler.. where more suits, and dress it up more.

werd.

p.s. jil sander, dior, costume or helmut lang shoes are the way to go.

--- Original message by stickykrylon on Aug 8, 2005 11:30 AM

STICKY zegna suits are okay, you have to be careful though if you are talking about a cheap suit (of Italian origin), with zegna you are going to be getting zegna soft. The top end suits are well made but the soft suits have fused construction. The interfacing in the front of the suit is fused (glued in), fused interfacing is fine unless it is drycleaned badly, then you get rippling across the front of the suit. I see alot of used suits, and Zegna soft is prone to rippling, not quite as bad as BOSS (I would never buy one). Other thing is Zegna are still trying to sell suits with a single pleat in the front, unless you are a fat old man there is no reason to have pleats in the front.

If you go to HK or even thailand you can get a custom suit made for next to nothing, make sure you choose good wool, but most of all make sure they use silk lining, or at the very least viscose. The biggest problem with cheap suits is the cheap polyester lining, polyester doesn't breathe, so if it starts to smell you can't air it. It has to be drycleaned, these suit will have fused interfacing so will ripple after too many cleans.

!cid_Mister.jpg You Mugging Me Off

the reason i think clothing of that nature isnt spoken on is because it isn't relevant in many peoples life styles.

i seriously long for an office job (for now at least) and a nice crisp fall day because i want to be able to rock slacks and a dope pair of shoes and a nice get up on top.

but as a student it just doesnt pertain to me at the moment.

or im just talking outta my rear, considering i havent even been on here for a month yet.

out of curiosity what is the demographics around here.

Style as a individual, I would never buy all the streetwear people talk about here on this site. I don't get what culture it even belongs to, the urban people all wear indie stuff and listen to rock, the hiphoppers wear roca, ecko, akademiks, and listen to hiphop, a lot of the preppy kids listen to the more popular poprock/punkrock stuff.

Is supershoppers just the people who listen to hiphop, dj, rock, house, trance, love vintage jeans and kicks, hate niketalkers?

I carry around whatever I think is sweet. I try to rock a lot of layered stuff with vintage combined with high-end brands. I will always rather buy a 400$ cashmere than 4 costing me 100$ a piece.

MAD YOUNG MAN

Thing is, when you're paying $100 bucks for a pair of jeans....you could be dressing good. Banana Republic slacks are usually about 90....

I agree that a lot of these styles go better with office work though. (good)Dry cleaning isn't cheap so you want to be in a controlled temperature. But if you hit the campus in some chinos, a crisp shirt and some prada shoes you will be a goldmine in a forest of Abercrombie. You'll get all the love you need.

I'm not so much for the black slacks/white shirt combination because that's the uniform of a lot of restuarant waitstaff. Right now it's about:

A purple checked Perry Ellis shirt with some grey jeancut slacks I got from H&M

A cream silk long sleeve polo from BR with some black pinstripe slacks from Club Monaco

Can't wait for autumn, that's then I can rock the sweaters!

I need to have it now

I need to shut it down

Personally I’m ambivalent on this. I guess I like the two extremes; you either wear streetwear or a high quality suit, crisp shirt, highly polished leather soled shoes and maybe a tie if it’s for work. I’m not into business casual which makes everyone looks like a cheap shoe salesman (nothing wrong with being a shoe salesman except the uniform btw…).

It all depends on what you do for a living and what point you are in your life. I'm a 31 year old husband and father that works at a research company in DC... and while I don't have to wear trousers and shirts every day to work, I wear them 4 days a week out of choice. Fridays... I'll throw on my Nudies or Evisu (Japanese, for all you nitpickers).

Truth be told, if I wasn't a senior manager, I'd be wearing jeans and polos to work every day, but image is everything in corporate America. Plus, most people that look good in jeans look just as good dressed up once in a while.

i did the whole suit thing for a few years. trusts me, it gets old real fast.

i'm lucky enough to work in a more "business casual" environment now - some guys wear suits everyday here - but for me - today i'm wearing a banana republic button up shirt, nudie RR jeans and some asics runners. some days i'll wear decent leather shoes, but more often than not, i'll wear sneakers.

man, it's just more comfortable.

OK - it's also 80% humidity and 90 degrees out - no way i'm wearing a suit in this weather.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I think it's possible to like both styles--and even rock both styles--so I hope no one thinks that I'm saying dressing up is better than dressing down.

More, dressing up is more than a suit and tie; just like it's more than shoes and sneakers. It has a lot to do with attitude, an eye for what's hot, and some bravery to venture out (that is, unless you LIKE dressing like your favorite star).

I don't want to start a battle of ties vs tims; I just wanna see if anyone else is into other styles of clothing. If you're not; I can respect you for that.

I need to have it now

I need to shut it down

i love both. suits during the week and jeans on the weekend. wardrobe reflects this (i have 2 pairs of jeans). atm im just wearing australian designer suits and shirts. i am interested in getting some suits done in hk in the near future though.

how did u come across country road?

Quote:

i love both. suits during the week and jeans on the weekend. wardrobe reflects this (i have 2 pairs of jeans). atm im just wearing australian designer suits and shirts. i am interested in getting some suits done in hk in the near future though.

how did u come across country road?

--- Original message by dumadiscount on Aug 8, 2005 10:32 PM

Your aussie designer suits Who? not like country road,lol, at least Croad is made out of wool Morrisey suits are made out of tragic wool/vis cose blends. Truth are the best wool in the world come from Tassie, NZ, or old school scotland (esp cashmere), if you check out top of the line suits they will be super100 or 150, merino from NZ, or Aus woven in Italy. I said HK cauase some guy was thinking about cheap Zegna, which is basicly rubbish. Stick to the Aus suits. save up for Vestmenta, Armani they are well made.

Soultek

west coast, east coast. try hemispheres, it's a whole world out there.

!cid_Mister.jpg You Mugging Me Off