overrated bands

poly800rock

i'd also like to nominate death cab for cutie. i was reading somewhere how deathcab is the reason why indie rock is so stale now, and it's completely true. no chorus, stupid lyrics, and the bald bassist doesn't help. i'd throw postal service in there too.

its sad that death cab got the publicity that they did, but i think they are a great band. i used to love them. the postal service WAS also amazing.

The Ramones ... have nothing to do with punk rock.

This and the "Sex Pistols suck because they couldn't play their instruments" argument. The former I don't even want to touch and the poster of the latter probably listens to Rush.

I have a hard time differentiating between bands I think are overrated and bands I just hate, but here's a short list anyway.

Bright Eyes

Deathcab for Cutie

THE DECEMBRISTS

Iron and wine

Davana Barnhart

The other asshole with the girl name that people who like Barnhart also like.

CRASS

My Bike is a Pipebomb

Against Me

Any bullshit folkpunk hippy anarchy nonsense.

word, have you seen his interview with Lindsey Lohan?

LL=Lindsey Lohan

DB = Devendra Banhart

DB: I like the whole "What are you thinking right now?" thing.

LL: I like that too.

DB:That's fun. Okay, what are you thinking right now? Just whatever pops into your head.

LL: I just walked into the Mercer Hotel...

DB: An image. It doesn't matter. It could just be a thing.

LL: I see you smoking a cigarette? What are you thinking?

DB: Red backpack.

My List.

1) Interpol: I really don't understand how this band is so popular. The singer sound like he's singing through a mega phone.

2)MIA: I've only heard her single and I don't like her.

3) Any metalcore

4) Jay Z: Does this really need an explation

5) Dave Matthew's Band: Music written specifically for hippie wanna bes.

6) OAR: I still don't get why people like this band. Their just horrible.

little late on this one but, you muuust be crazy. Jay-z is arguably (for those that wanna say if 2pac and Big were still alive) the best rapper ever. Im not talking in the 90s when reasonable doubt came out, Im saying off all time, and no one can/or will come close.

the fray hate them with a passion

the whole snow patrolthing songs are so bland all sound the same i dont even know why this is popular with the mainstream

also to add :

dont know if you guys will no where im coming from but anyone in the UK will

any of the whole artic monkeys spin off's ...eg pigion detectives, the view, the enemy ect ect ect all sound the same all living off what artic monkeys started

im embarassed to say iv pretty much seen them all live

No one really toots their horn at all? Are you serious? That's like saying Thriller should have moved more units.

Influential? Yes. One of the top five most influential UK bands ever. In that way, they get all the respect they deserve.

But musically? It's hard to respect a band when half of them didn't know how to play their instruments. Give me a break.

Your opinion on music has just been voided out. Sorry.

Hmm, not to rain on your parade or anything but the Sex Pistols (and bands like The New York Dolls before them) really pushed the point home that you didn't need musical talent to express yourself through this medium. If you don't realize that this "do it yourself" "making my own thing" spirit of urgency of expression is, in great part, what drives relevent modern music, you have absolutely no clue whatsoever.

Were the Sex Pistols the first "punk" band? No. But did they come to symbolize and actually define that movement? Hell yes!

BTW this thread is kinda confusing between there's a difference between being a commercial success (think U2) and being a critical one (think Arcade fire). If you consider people "in the know" as your sample there's no way U2 is overrated as nobody in their right mind likes the crap they put out now. Using commercial success as a criteria you'll end up listing crap like Maroon5 and nobody will be in disagreement.

I saw the Sex Pistols twice on their Anarchy in the UK tour. They spearheaded a movement that shook up the stodgy suffocating prog rock bands of the seventies like: Yes, ELP and Genesis et al.

However, the American protopunk sound is what made the music viable - the Stooges, the New York Dolls (later, one member formed Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers), the Ramones, Velvet Underground - they all presaged the UK punk scene of 76/77.

Compare those bands to some of the UK's offerings: the Damned, the Slits, X-ray Spex and Generation X, and you'll find that the American, mainly NY, sound leaves a significantly influential musical legacy; whereas the UK punk scene was all but over by late 77.

Essentially the majority of the English punk bands had the attitude but little talent.

Just my two penn'orth.

And while we're on the subject I'd like to mention Lily fuckin' Allen as one of the most overated talentless fuckwits we currently export internationally.

My List.

1) Interpol: I really don't understand how this band is so popular. The singer sound like he's singing through a mega phone.

2)MIA: I've only heard her single and I don't like her.

3) Any metalcore

4) Jay Z: Does this really need an explation

5) Dave Matthew's Band: Music written specifically for hippie wanna bes.

6) OAR: I still don't get why people like this band. Their just horrible.

For those of you who are giving me crap for putting Jay Z on my list. Here's an a different one for you.

1) Plain White Tees: When I first heard them I though they were alright, but after hearing that damned singled, I realize that they're marketed toward the emo/college crowd. Now they're just complete garbage.

2) Fallout Boy: The name says that you spend too much time smoking pot and watching the Simpsons.

3) Brand New: I still like them, but after releasing their third album, they've really gone down hill.

4) Incubus: They used to be a great band up to Make Yourself, but starting with A Crow Left of the Murder, they started to go down hill.

5) Sublime: I just don't like them.

6) Taking Back Sunday: Any band that spends more time looking for song titles than writing lyrics shouldn't be respected.

7) Linkin Park: The single was great, but after that they just started to suck.

8) Sufjan Stevens: I might get destroyed for this, but the only reason why I said this is because I have a feeling that he won't get to all fifty states as albums.

Edit: This topic should of really came with a disclaimer. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Brand New: I still like them, but after releasing their third album, they've really gone down hill.

What no punk-pop anthems? I saw them at Reading Festival and they played not one of those songs, which probably says something about what kind of sound they want to be known for. Even though it's not my cup of tea particularly, they did put on a passionate and professional show and I now appreciate the third CD somewhat more.