six years ago today.

Larry Bird

this doesnt belong in trash at all, but it seems to get the most views...

cant believe its been six years....remember waking up for college on a clear blue day with my mom urging me to come down the stairs and watch the news...

i was worried about family and friends in new york....

and i will never forget not seeing a single airplane in the sky for tow or three days...

much love to all who lost love ones.....

like to hear some of you new yorkers experiences...

haha, i was in 5th grade, my teacher turned it on. I just read a thing for class on it and had to write down where i was, what my thoughts were and stuff.

i was living in VA, working construction. i remember at first they just thought that a plane hit th buildings... i was checking cnn non stop till they sent us all home. the people i was working with wanted to go to kill some terrorists right then and there... the only time i saw them in a worse mood was when dale ernhardt died.

was coming back home, got my brother's friend sayin 'did you see what happened in new york two planes..." to me it was just like another explosion you know no panic no shit everything going on... i didnt really realized still i saw on tv

i was in the 6th grade and it came on the announcements. i had a friend that was German and his parents took him home cause they thought the attack came from Nazi's.

whats happening with ground zero now? are they going to build over it, keep it as is, or are they building a memorial wall?

edit: i feel guilty but that wii gif had me crackin. + whenever i can.

I woke up about 11:00 or so EST, and turned on CNN. I thought it must have been some sort of trailer or something at first. Once I'd worked my way through the grogginess, I called my family, stationed in Europe at the time, to see that their security situation was ok. I spent the next 45 minutes systematically calling or contacting everyone I knew in NYC and DC. Once I'd ascertained that everyone I knew was ok, I just shut my brain, and the coverage, off.

Some of my friends, many of whom were from NYC, were appalled by my willingness to completely accept the situation just an hour or two after it happened. People thought I was a callous bastard.

In a life beset by uncertianty from birth, complete and rapid acceptance of extraordinarily dynamic circumstances and the willingness to immediately internalize sea changes is a necessary survival skill.

Almost without exception every fellow brat I knew handled everything in the same way. A brief, manic period of relentlessly efficient friends and family inventory, followed by an almost perverse disinterest in all but the most salient pieces of news. A withdrawl into the ranks of fellow brats and military families. An eschewing of anything that might be percieved as maudlin sentimentality or newfound jingoism.

And while it may have seemed a more mature take on things at the time, six years later I can't help but wonder if we missed some great aspect of a moment that will inevitably be defining for our generation.

PS: I cant +rep you yet, Artificialsky, but I will asap. Shit had me dying @ work.

I was right here! 17th street, NYC.

My boss kept me 'til after one in the afternoon, 'cause the other AD couldn't get into Manhattan, the trains weren't running through to NYC, because a lot of them stopped on or near WTC. "Guess we're not doing ads today," he finally says.

Let that be a lesson kids, don't come to work on time.

When I got home, (the phone lines were fucking OUT) I remember calling an old friend of mine who worked at Goldman Sachs, to see if he was okay. Got his wife on the phone. She was frantic, but he was okay, just had to find a way to get back home.

Of course, I was the only AD for the rest of that week. Could smell burnt plasticky smell for the next month. Sometimes, when the wind blew right, I could smell it all the way to Queens.

can't believe it's already been six years.

What were you up to back then? Without the sf addiction? You just got out of school, most likely, I know Roger was just getting out.