Patrik Ervell ss08

rowyerboat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this collection, with a his fall collection's color family, and slightly less of a precocious take, would have been a contender.

there is this recent trend in menswear of a certain fibre that seems to equate childishness with dandyism, and whilst i am all for outright foppery and frippery in fashion, this ervell collection just strikes me as far too boyish.

as a young adult, i feel like i'm actively trying to distance myself from draping myself in things that use youth as a major reference point [one of my big gripes with Slimane's Dior], so this kind of all falls flat on its face for me.

I thought Patrik Ervell introduced at least a fairly interesting approach to layering and texture with his first collection (one of the better interpretations of "street" wear meeting tailoring) but the idea has evolved all of nowhere from that first collection. Pants are virtually identical, layering and styling is exactly the same. A boring collection, at best.

See-through jacket is interesting, but only material-wise. Anorak jacket is not bad just in terms of styling, but it's just an anorak as near as I can tell. It's a seasons-old silhouette, but with that particular shade of yellow that's been popping up everywhere.

The anorak does, however, make me wonder whatever to that Aitor Throup fellow. I really hoped he would start producing, I bet we would've been seeing some similiar jackets in proportion and concept, but executed in far more interesting manners.

I thought Patrik Ervell introduced at least a fairly interesting approach to layering and texture with his first collection (one of the better interpretations of "street" wear meeting tailoring) but the idea has evolved all of nowhere from that first collection. Pants are virtually identical, layering and styling is exactly the same. A boring collection, at best.

See-through jacket is interesting, but only material-wise. Anorak jacket is not bad just in terms of styling, but it's just an anorak as near as I can tell. It's a seasons-old silhouette, but with that particular shade of yellow that's been popping up everywhere.

The anorak does, however, make me wonder whatever to that Aitor Throup fellow. I really hoped he would start producing, I bet we would've been seeing some similiar jackets in proportion and concept, but executed in far more interesting manners.

You're probably right about all of this. I don't know, I'm no high fashion guy. I do like the way the clothes look. I probably won't purchase any of this though, so maybe my opinion is worthless.

That jacket's a little too "neat" for my tastes. I don't personally consider it a particularly great design, but it's sort of opaque, so lots of people will look at it and go, "Oh, that's sort of neat."

You're probably right about all of this. I don't know, I'm no high fashion guy. I do like the way the clothes look. I probably won't purchase any of this though, so maybe my opinion is worthless.

I don't consider your opinion worthless by any means: I like the way the clothes look as well, it's just that from a design perspective it's stagnant. Which is perfectly fine for what he's doing, but if you're going to bother presenting a runway presentation, I'm going to judge it in terms of what I expect a runway presentation to show: some sort of evolution or validation for your work.

I've never been too impressed by the clothes in person either, so I'm not really sure what level his work is actually succeeding on. It is kind of cool.

this collection, with a his fall collection's color family, and slightly less of a precocious take, would have been a contender.

there is this recent trend in menswear of a certain fibre that seems to equate childishness with dandyism, and whilst i am all for outright foppery and frippery in fashion, this ervell collection just strikes me as far too boyish.

as a young adult, i feel like i'm actively trying to distance myself from draping myself in things that use youth as a major reference point [one of my big gripes with Slimane's Dior], so this kind of all falls flat on its face for me.

I actually whole heartedly agree with both of your guy's takes on Ervell. He really hasn't evolved throughout his collections, it's too safe. I think that's why guys like Thom get a lot of press, because in a sea of NY fashion week mediocrity, it just stands out like a sore thumb.

But I do get the feeling Ervell could provide something great, it's just not there yet.

Yea. I mean for F/W he did that crazy looking parachute material jacket but it was one of those things that are hardly appreciated on the runway, because it looked like a standard jacket from the front.

I liked in his first collection that he included various tech materials into jackets and other items, but now it's getting tired. I mean, it's still great to throw it in there, because that seems to be something he's into but like you said, kick it up some!

I too would really like to know the general customer who buys his clothing though.

Judging from where he gets sold, it's probably a balance of fairly wealthy hipsters / moderate fashionistas, same people who might be buying Nom de Guerre / A.P.C.

ha, that would be me if i had a bit more money. i really like his stuff. it's not that adventurous, but it's quality stuff that has the fit and style that i want to wear, even if it's not really outclassing the competition (apc/ndg/acne/oliver spencer). i think the shoes in this collection are bloody awesome.

ha, that would be me if i had a bit more money. i really like his stuff. it's not that adventurous, but it's quality stuff that has the fit and style that i want to wear, even if it's not really outclassing the competition (apc/ndg/acne/oliver spencer). i think the shoes in this collection are bloody awesome.

I personally find myself pretty underwhelmed with his quality, especially considering he tends to be the most expensive of the bunch.

I'm going to go against what has been said since I've been seeing his clothes in person for a couple of seasons and say the quality is good on most of the pieces. As with most collections, buys differ and conclusions of the designer's work drawn based on one store's buy which may or may not accurately reflect the entire collection. The prices are reasonable and cheaper than soul-less nom de guerre garments. While I wouldn't place him on raf simons level, he is probably the best american designer right now who makes some delightful things from season to season.

Also don't invest too heavily in runway shots, always a good mantra.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...